Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Damaged sprinter, think its repairable?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Thu, 12 June 2003 04:43 Go to next message
What does everyone think? Repairable, or need new quarter?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/helenfitz/damanged.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Thu, 12 June 2003 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be repaired with LOTS of work. How good are you at panelbeating?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Thu, 12 June 2003 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Never had any experience at it Sad so will have to leave it in the hands of a panel beater..

I know someone with a rear quarter for sale, but just not sure if its going to be easier to panel beat out, or cut and weld the whole rear quarter (not sure, but could imagine that being a huge job).

Wish I knew a panel beater who wanted some weekend work cash in hand!
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Thu, 12 June 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Repairable. For a good panel beater me thinks.
evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Thu, 12 June 2003 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oooh.. i'd be careful about this one, if i were you.

you'll prolly need to replace the rear quarter panel and lower rear panel of the car. see that seam? thats where the two panels meet.

replacing panels is not so bad since they are still acquirable from wreckers.

but the biggest problem with a vehicle like this one is that it may be suffering from chassis damage. see where the tow hook is in the rear? well, someone told me thats actually part of the chassis rail... so if that structure is still straight, then the car is reparable without too much trouble. if its bent, then thats chassis damage, in which case i dunno if the car's worth doing up good.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Thu, 12 June 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah.. Guess best idea is to get it running and take it to some panel shops and see what they think of it..

Have a friend with a sprinter who crashed it, then this one (in the picture) comes along with enough spares to repair the other sprinter, plus a 4agze Smile so it doesn't really owe me much, but would like to get it on the road as a daily driver.

Apart from the dint, its a pretty clean sprinter.

Thanks all for your suggestions so far..

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sat, 30 August 2003 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just picked the AE86 up from the panel shop today.

Very impressed with the repairs! Shame I couldn't afford to get it all sprayed...

But got dint taken out and all rust cut out and new metal welded in.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/helenfitz/dintrepaired.jpg
Sprinter-Saurus
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sat, 30 August 2003 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geeze man, that looks schmick, big ups to the panel beater, theyve done a good job. its looks like new, as if nothing ever happened. Smile

congrats man, have fun. Very Happy
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sat, 30 August 2003 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah their work was top class. I saw it before the paint went on. Metal was smooth as, amazing how they can get stuff like that out.

Now time to start building a tough 4AGE.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sat, 30 August 2003 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what did they charge you for that?
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sun, 31 August 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm suprised there is no gap where the bumper meets the boot.

thought it was a gonna..
top panel beater mate.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sun, 31 August 2003 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, bloody incredible - Looks like new.

Hats off to the panel beater. Was this someone up on the coast? It's so rare to hear good panel beater stories, it would probably be good if you could share the name. Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 31 August 2003 11:36]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sun, 31 August 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup i'm sure they wouldn't mind their name getting mentioned..

Erin Panel Works (At Erina - Central Coast)..

They really good guys down there. I went to school with one of the guys sons so kinda know them. One of the workers there has a really nice T-18 with amazing paint job (3 stage pearl? thats all the details they giving away) soon to be 4agze powered.

Just wish I could have had it all painted. But they did both rear guards, rear of car and roof so its almost there just doors, tailgate and bonnet left which hope to get done shortly.

Cheers
Joel
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sun, 31 August 2003 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice mate!

the way to tell if its a top notch panel beating job is if you can tell the difference between the old and the new... and from this pic we cant!

i reckon they have dont a great job!
swankiedude
Regular

March 2003

Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Mon, 01 September 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They have done an awsome job of your car Joel. I will say though that this panel beater did turn my brothers RA28 down. His car did require a fair bit of work done to it and all they really said is that it would take to long to do and they didnt want to have it sitting the the garage for that long being fixed instead of doing other jobs. Although we did go to about 4 or 5 other panel beaters who either said the same thing or they said that they just couldnt do that sort of thing. We found a good one eventually though. It looks good though Joel
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Mon, 01 September 2003 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Joel,

Very nice job, just make sure that the inside is as well finished as the outside - otherwise the rust will be back in no time.

That is what happened to me on a full-metal job, I am still pissed about it.
Truzeno
Regular

February 2003
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sat, 06 September 2003 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, that is good. I thought was whole nother car til I spotted the pinstripe.
How much did it cost man? And how long do they take to do a job like that?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Tue, 16 September 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it looks fine! if the chasiss isnt aligned it will always be crap to drive but if it was just panel damage perfect unless its all bog!Smile then it will all come out in the next couple years!
if it bent or weakend the main support sell it and buy another.
mick
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sat, 20 September 2003 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that the stock colour cos ive only seen a couple of sprinters in that colour.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Damaged sprinter, think its repairable? Sat, 20 September 2003 14:45 Go to previous message
hey joel

do u know wher ei can get some descent rear
quarters for a sprinter

a friend of mine is after some to replace in his

theyre starting to rust out
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:to all brissy people
Next Topic:anyone prepared to copy Toyota EPC?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 5 06:58:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004626989364624 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.