Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Supercharged 5M-EU....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Supercharged 5M-EU.... Thu, 11 July 2002 13:24 Go to next message
Has anyone done it?....(if so how much boost and how did it go?)

I was toying with the idear of using the air pump (used for part of the "U" crap) as a small supercharger (just re-route it to the inlet and remove the related air pump stuff from the exhaust side of the head).

Does anyone know how many PSI the air pump puts out??
(It has an ASV so I'm pretty sure its limited at something, just not sure what? Any idears?)

I'm only after small boost (3-4psi) but I'd like to know what u guys think......

Anyone ever thought of this before?

Cheers
Wilbo
  Send a private message to this user    
jza70-mel
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Thu, 11 July 2002 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be an effective supercharger, the pump must supply not only the pressure, but be able to send the volume of air that an engine at wide open throttle can gulp down. If it cannot supply the actual amount of air (i.e. cubic feet or "pounds" of air) it will be as effective as a TURBO-ZET
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Thu, 11 July 2002 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know its not designed as a supercharger but any extra air would have to be better than none right?

Agreed at high rpm it will prbly make very little diff, but off the line it might make a noticiable improvement?

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Thu, 11 July 2002 13:40]

jza70-mel
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Thu, 11 July 2002 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, even at idle, any internal combustion engine consumes quite a bit of air (it must if you calculate: displacement X 1/2 X RPM X volumetric efficiency). I'm not saying that it doesn't make a difference, but you wouldn't get the manifold pressure into "boost", just a (very) little less vacuum.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Thu, 11 July 2002 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, just having it running it "seems" to push a fair bit of air (not very accurate measurement tho...!), would I notice a difference in your view if I tried it and it only made less negative pressure (i.e. nearly boost)?

Cheers
Wilbo
jza70-mel
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Thu, 11 July 2002 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I really dunno. I doubt it, but will be pleasantly suprised if it does. These forums are built up by people who try out wacky things on their own cars to try to improve them (with varying success and results).

Go for it!

(just to be boring I have to say that anything you do to your own car is your own responsibility - blah, blah. I'm not sure what the air pump you are using originally does to the running of the car)
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Thu, 11 July 2002 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having owned two crowns with the air pump set up on them, I am almost positive (I'm not 100% only because I havent done it) that it won't supply enough air for the 5M. As an example of why, have a look at the size of the inlet and outlets of the pump compared to the are of the carby throats-much much smaller. Having just said that your idea won't work (after investigating it myself once..), have you considered one of the toyota superchargers ($350)? Put one on the side of the motor and have it blow into a box that holds the carby. That will definately supply tons of air-and maybe cost 500-800 to set up (doing some work youself of course)

Take it easy
Sean
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Thu, 11 July 2002 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep thought it was a bit silly (if it worked ppl would have done it heaps).

Yeah getting an SC12 and replacing the air pump was another idear, but getting low boost out of it might be a problem (custon pulley?)....

Cheers
Wilbo
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Fri, 12 July 2002 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those bloody air pumps use more power then thay will ever make! throw it in the bin and get a 1G-GZE blower on it i recon if its efi you should be able to do that and maybe a riseing rate FPR should make a big difference!

Allan
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sat, 13 July 2002 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmms - were talking about the 5me here - ? Thats the EFI 2.8 ^ cyl found in83-85 supras ??

Hmms - how hard really would ti ber to whack ona 1gz blower onto one of these puppies ??

I know my dads mk 4 could do with some extra ponies - and i ponder also if its a worthy alternative to a 6mge swap somehting

( he cant afford the 7mgte's, small block chev is cheaper )
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sat, 13 July 2002 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your Mk IV has a 5M-E in it i think you have been MAJORLY riped off!

Allan
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sat, 13 July 2002 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well what did they come out as from the factory ??

I cant remeber what dads has in it but its competley stock
(Aus delivered 84 supra , auto , all factory options bar sunroof )..

Were they a twin cam or a single cam ( 5m-e or 5m-ge? )

clarification would be nice so i know where im wrong
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sat, 13 July 2002 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you mean an MK II Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sat, 13 July 2002 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the correction Smile make mine Mk2 then Smile

still the question stands on supercharging that models motor
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sun, 14 July 2002 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only "problem" i see is finding somewhere to mount it!

Allan
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sun, 14 July 2002 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could you do some work to the air pump bracket and mount it where the air pump was??

Why has no one here done a 5M-ZE??

Cheers
Wilbo

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sun, 14 July 2002 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mouting the supercharger wouldn't be that much of a challenge (although I doubt the air pump bracket would be suitable, the blower is too big to fit there). The hard part would be sorting out the drive belt (you can't use the existing V-belt arrangement) and the inlet plumbing. Not impossible, but not easy either!

No-one much bothers with 5M-E's because they're a pretty ordinary engine, and it's a piece of piss to swap in a 6M-GE which is twice as good!
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sun, 14 July 2002 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How easy is it to do a swap to the 6m-ge? Do you use the factory ECU or do you have to change it as well with the wireing?

Cheers.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sun, 14 July 2002 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's about as easy as engine conversions go. I did it using the original 5M-E computer, but a small amount of fiddling with the wiring is necessary (a few of the connectors are different).
kevz0r
Regular

May 2002

Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Sun, 14 July 2002 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, I did try the air pump thing on my 5M-E and it did nothing at all. wayyy too little air being flowed

and my 5M-GTE is run off my 5M-E computer and loom. eaaaasy conversion. however, i think i need a computer that has a revlimiter in it. 8000rpm bad!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Mon, 15 July 2002 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You already have a rev limiter - it's called valve bounce! Very Happy
kevz0r
Regular

May 2002

Re: Supercharged 5M-EU.... Mon, 15 July 2002 13:00 Go to previous message
no, its called exploding intake Laughing

unfortunately it only works once, then you have to pull over at the side of the road and call someone for help because you forgot to bring tools with you Smile

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5S-FE turbo kits
Next Topic:How to get speed signal for RSM?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 22:38:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048918724060059 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.