Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
disc conversion 4 ke10 Sat, 06 September 2003 17:04 Go to next message
alright what do ppl suggest on a limited budget 4 mates ke10 4 front disc ?
is rear disc possible as well and is it worth the hassle ?
which diff is the best bet 4 this car ( prob about 150x stock power is expected result )
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: disc conversion 4 ke10 Sun, 07 September 2003 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rear disc is possible, but some searching for disc will be required... afaik it is not commonly done to the banjo diffs.
it would be worth the hassle, to get trid of the pitiful drums.
some mucking about with caliper piston size and/or brake bias adjustment will be required.

front disc, KE70 discs and calipers will bolt straight on. grab the backing plate, caliper and disc, and then bolt to either a KE10 disc hub, or a KE20 disc hub. both have same bearing and stud sizes. i have this on my KE15. it will give 20% improvement (on paper) over the original KE10 discs

KE30 brakes will waork also but have thinner disc, and squarer pads. i like the KE70 ones better.

actually, any of the KE10-KE70 will bolt up, as a set.

what actual hp are they targetting??

for serious power, go the hilux diff. LSD's are easy to get (so i'm told) rear disc is easy and it has been done into a KE15 in adelaide

for less serious power, maybe the AE86 disc rear end??

both will set you back over a grand once it's shortened..
i can get pics of the KE70 setup on mine if it's required.
Cya, Stewart
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: disc conversion 4 ke10 Sun, 07 September 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the other diff option is the borg warner 78 series diff from v8 commodores etc.

i will using a cut down commodore diff with 4.11 gears

a cut Hilux or borg warner would be the best alternatives for a cut down diff

earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: disc conversion 4 ke10 Sun, 07 September 2003 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As Stewart said, depends on the expected HP output and the desired application of the vehicle.

Here is another one that I am toying with (currently under construction).

Volvo 4 pot calipers, need to be the Girling ones from the ventilated discs.

Honda CRX (DBA 474) discs 262mm x 21mm ventilated

KE20 hubs.

Galant (around 1971) caliper brackets.

1) The caliper bolt holes need to be plugged and re-drilled to suit the galant caliper mounting bracket.
2) The discs need redrilling and little bit of machining to fit the corolla hubs.
3) The original struts will need the holes drilled and tapped from M8x1.25 to M10x1.25
4) Also need some thin (1mm) spacer washers for offsetting the caliper from the caliper bracket. Not REALLY necessary but a good piece of mind.
5) Calipers need to be modified for single brake line use - requires four holes to be drilled.
6) Two centralising sleeves need to be machined for the caliper brackets onto the struts. You could get away with out these but it is best to do things properly.

Although this sounds like a lot of work, most of the work can be performed at home with a few simple tools. You would have to have a machine shop do the machining for you unless you have access to a lathe.

BTW I have yet to get to the stage of finding a rim to fit over this combination - the standard rim will definetly not fit, at least not without some from of spacer due to the protruding 4 pot caliper.

I am, at this stage going to use a borg warner 6cyl VN commodore diff. The 6cyl one is plenty strong enough in such a light vehicle. Personally I wouldnt go to the Hilux diff unles you were expecting SERIOUS HP or you wanted to stay all Toyota (it is pretty heavy and somewhat an overkill) - but that is only my opinion.

If you use the late Corolla brake upgrade then a suggestion for a rear disc conversion is the TM magna disc. It would require re-drilling to fit the early corolla stud pattern and the manufacture of a caliper mount, but the magnas use an integral handbrake-caliper mechanism as opposed to a drum type handbrake. This would keep down weight and complexity of adaptation.

Cheers,
Tyron.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 September 2003 10:49]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: disc conversion 4 ke10 Sun, 07 September 2003 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah, the front brakes... there is a volvo 4-spot with a vented disc (it is some holden disc, i never found out exactly, but i have pics of it) that will definitely fit under a 13" rim (jelly beans at least).

i'm very interested in finding a disc/caliper that will 'just' fit under a 15" superlite rim.... but that's like a year or so off....

Tyron, keep us posted on how it goes!!! the more options the better Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: disc conversion 4 ke10 Tue, 01 March 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been in touch with Tyron,
I will be doing this upgrade as well, from his very well writen article, it all seems so easy. I am veering slightly away by using Nissan Pulsar vented discs (DBA 628), 250dia x 45 deep x 18mm thick rotor. The centre hole will need to be enlarged by 1.5mm making a centre hole of 64mm from the original 61mm hole.
What is the best way of finding dimensions of caliper holding plates off of different cars? Also, I am trying to search down a .dwg file of the volvo 244/245/246 calipers. If I could get hold of a drawing file with dimensions, I can draw the whole setup on cad in 3D for further reference for anyone else doing this upgrade. Not sure how you feel about this. I'm quite excited that someone has done something to improve the brakes and stay within 13".
Tyron, I went to Volvo here in Adelaide and had a chat with them, they do a lot of rally preparation work on different cars. I said to him that I will do what you suggested about drilling the pots out to convert to single line, He came up with the suggestion of staying with the twin lines and tee-ing them into one line just before going through the the body work. This way, if there is failure on one line form whatever may hit it, there will always be the other line to keep working.
I have already purchased the volvo calipers and the pulsar discs, so will keep you informed on how this one is going.
I was going to purchase a rebuild kit, but the chap at Volvo said it is actually cheaper to send the calipers in for replacement, as it is cheaper than the rebuild kit, and also the replacements are chemicaly cleaned and prepainted. Not bad a deal I thought.
I know this is an old thread, but I don't see the harm in resurecting it.
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: disc conversion 4 ke10 Tue, 01 March 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can tee the line but if one line fails (leaks) then you are still going to lose your brake fluid. To my knowledge the dual circuit brake setup in the volvo was for brake pressure balancing left to right (could be wrong here). Either way, doesn't matter too much.

I don't know any easy way of finding dimensions of different caliper mounts. Spend a morning at your local pick-a-part?
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: disc conversion 4 ke10 Tue, 01 March 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Funny you say that, I have spent the last 2 weekends at
U-Pull-it, both Sat and Sun. Got 2 weekends of getting burnt to a crisp, I will not give up, and not looking for a "cop-out". But hopefully someone has some more info to shed on this issue I have. I have searched, just in case someone says the smart comment "use the search option".... I have, and this is what has pointed me in the dirrection of this upgrade. It doesn't seem very common, but looks to be a good upgrade. On your next reply, could you add the link to your upgrade document, I really believe it is witten very well and could be of use for others that will be reading this. Sometimes the search option doesn't bring up everything, only because the search must be fairly narrowed down and not broad. I can appreciate it being that way though.
When I spoke to the chap at Volvo, he did say the dual line was for balance, and also for line failure of being blocked. Ideally, what they should have done is drilled out the cylinders as you described as well as having the dual lines, the ultimate for backup.
I need to try find these measurements in some kind of official document of the volvo calipers. That way I can add to this a full set of plans for the upgrade.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: disc conversion 4 ke10 Wed, 02 March 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While this thread exists im goign to piggyback a slightly related topic onto it.
Are the lower control arms the same as the AE86 ones? As for my KE35 dunger i have been considering just slapping in a whole set of AE86 front suspension which we have lying around in a mates yard.

Any ideas?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: disc conversion 4 ke10 Wed, 02 March 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE70=AE86 for most intents and purposes.
xE3x is smaller track, and different chassis rails (smaller spacing/parallel), but you could definitely work something out Wink

you will need to move the bolt points in by 0.5" and 1.0" i think. (KE70 has angled rails.) that leads the the pug disc conversion Wink
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: disc conversion 4 ke10 Wed, 02 March 2005 04:16 Go to previous message
Yeah, not so worried about increases in track, especially because these struts already have sigma lower controls bolted to them.
Been offered them for very little money, so i think ill go for it. So long as it bolts up with little modification.

Remember that my KE35 is being used for the U1k "competition" on PF.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:$1500 4age conversion????
Next Topic:Toyota Soarer -> Manual
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 00:57:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.17291903495789 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.