Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Chris-008
Regular

January 2003
Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 08:22 Go to next message
Hi all

Has anyone relocated their battey to the back for better balance. I just need to know what has to be done. do i need to use those thick battery cables ? how can i pass this thru the firewall ? can i buy ready made battery support or would i need to fabricate a new one ?

I have an 86, has no back seat, still has the spare. The weight could be 60/40. To much oversteer with this.. or could be something else..

thnks all

Chriso
  Send a private message to this user    
knackers
Regular

November 2002
Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi chris-
I relocated my battery put it on the side of my ute because they was no room in the engine bay not for balance.
cya knackers
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the sme problem, and researched the same thing
you'll need thick calbes (thick as you can get) to go from your engine bay to your boot
you'll also either need a ventilated battery (like the ones that come in mercedes), or a ventilator case for your battery, to vent the H2 gas to outside the cabin.

also needs to be well secured
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u have a hatch
u cannot legally fit a battery in the hatch
due to it being not sealled off from the passenger compartment
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you sure?
max got his engineered with the battery in the boot (I think)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He definetly did, the battery in the RA60 lives where the AFM and stuff on the 1G go.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We fit batteries in the army land cruisers under the seats in sealed boxes! All legal and sweet!
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know if rules have changed recently

maybe u r allowed if its a new oddisey battery which is a dry cell

but im pretty sure acid batteries are not allowed to breath
vapours into the cabin

same shit as y surge tanks are not allowed to be in hatches in the boot

and fuel vapour should not be able to go into cabin
driver might pass out hehe
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im not to sure what the go is with passenger cars
best bet to ask an engineer

i just never bother fititng batteries into hatchback cars

even surge tanks are not the best
i had one in boot of my 1600 just behind tail lights

if i had a car run up the back of my car
it would burst into flames
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any battery doesnt matter if it is sealed has to be in a sealed box vented to the outside world! When mounted like this it can be fitted anywhere!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep
just has to be vented
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Mon, 08 September 2003 19:59

same shit as y surge tanks are not allowed to be in hatches in the boot

and fuel vapour should not be able to go into cabin
driver might pass out hehe

hmm, so hows that work when the car originally has the petrol tank in the boot behind the back seat, and there is no partition as such between boot and cabin?? and can you have a sealed battery in a boot with a surgetank or petrol tank??? hmmmm, sounds like an ugly combination, but what else can ya do??
Cya, Stewart
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
usually they have a shitty piece of cardboard or plywood
between the tank n the back seat in a sedan shaped car and that is usually the case with sedans
is there any hatch back car that has the fuel tank behind the back seat
i cant think of any

im not to sure what the laws are today

i try not to fit surge tanks or batteries into the hatch part
of a car

sedans are different story

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by 86, i take it you mean AE86, and not some vague reference to a 1986 model car.

i have been poking around thinking about doing this, as i have no money or GEs to put in my car, here are my thoughts.

i'd remove the jack/tool bak cover and fix a sealed battery box there, with a vent tube attatched to an existing vent (there is one on each side you can see outside the rubber seal under the hatch)

i'm not totally sure if there is a space all the way, but i would run the cables along the side, through the door sills and out the hole that is near the original battery location.

hope this helps, it should be pretty easy to do.
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: Battery relocation Mon, 08 September 2003 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i originally moved my battery from the engine bay to where the back seat used to be in my 86, but have now installed a new oddessey battery in the engine bay again, this was after consultation with an engineer who told me what had to be done to engineer the battery inside the car, the following things must be done..
-battery box must vent to outside
-battery bracket must be firmly bolted/welded to body of car (no tek-screws)
-tray must be installed under battery (to catch any leakage)
-wiring to battery must be safe (obviously open to the engineers interpretation of safe)
in the end was cheaper and easier to get the oddessey(cost $210), which fits nicely in the front and doesnt hit my I/C plumbing.
please note even if a battery is dry cell (which oddessey is not, only optima)must still comply with all regs, ie like child restraints and unleaded filler necks- car may be sold to some one who doesnt know thus everything must be idiot proof.
i chose the oddessey due to its small size, and as optima dont make small batteries that i could find, just grunty batteries (ie for stereos)

finally, i really wonder if the "weight ballance" will make up for the extra 10kg or so of weight in the wire and the batt box etc.., but a relocated battery does look the goods though.

ps if you are after a batt box, wire, and switch complete with 3month old battery pm me , im in newcastle
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Battery relocation Tue, 09 September 2003 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JDM is correct in his summary. I went and saw a consultant engineer about a battery move in my AE86 and all of the above points needed to apply - even if using a drycell battery. This is because the rules state that the battery box must be a sealed unit (not water tight apprently) that vents to atmosphere.

This rule does not of course take into account new battery technology. I can't remember some of the figures he told me but the mount needs to stand a certain amount of force etc (so the battery does not hit you in the back off the head in an accident - makes sense). It would be a lot of work to do properly, like most things.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 September 2003 08:48]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Battery relocation Tue, 09 September 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ay good info Smile
so. how big is this Oddessey battery, ie cm x cm x cm????
my poor little rolla has about the second smallest battery available as it's stock one.... god knows i can't fit a bigger one in the e/bay.... but grunty and small sounds really good!!
Cya, Stewart
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Battery relocation Tue, 09 September 2003 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 08 September 2003 19:51

you sure?
max got his engineered with the battery in the boot (I think)

Mine's not engineered... Wink

I heard talk of dry batteries once? Not sure if the rules still apply though...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Battery relocation Tue, 09 September 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dry batteries unfortunately dont make one bit of difference!
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Battery relocation Tue, 09 September 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correct, but you can still move them up the back if you do it right - even in a hatch.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Battery relocation Tue, 09 September 2003 09:29 Go to previous message
Youngy wrote on Tue, 09 September 2003 19:10

Correct, but you can still move them up the back if you do it right - even in a hatch.

Correct.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4th gen celica exhaust
Next Topic:brake booster life
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 13:40:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073580741882324 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.