Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
flashlaser
Occasional Poster

August 2003
st162 for ae86 Sun, 14 September 2003 18:23 Go to next message
I am sick of my 1986 st162, its done 290k, but is in very good condition, the inside is vinyled in black.

I just wanted to know if could i could get a sprinter ae86 by selling the st162 without adding money, and if not, how much would i have to add?

i dont' need a done up ae86.

Also how much would a 4agte conversion cost. If i do the conversion myself which engine should i start off with, the stock or 4agze. How much would a 4agze cost me.

Sorry for all the questions.

I had a accident where my st162's back came out, and now i can't get enough =P Lucky i just stopped b4 hittin anything.

[Updated on: Sun, 14 September 2003 18:23]

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: st162 for ae86 Mon, 15 September 2003 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as there as the body of your ST162 is in good condition and the interior, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to pick up an Aus-spec Sprinter and still have cash left over...
flashlaser
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Mon, 15 September 2003 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe i dont' want a aus spec ae86 sprinter.

i want a jdm 1985 trueno ae86, with 4age. I like the pop up lights, i also want sunroof, dont' ask why but i need it unless there is going to be chassis problems with good suspension and high horsepower.

i'm planning to do a 4agte conversion later on too.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 September 2003 20:25]

cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a st162 with that many kms i rekon you'd only get $3500 - $4000. To import an AE86 trueno you'd be looking at at least $9000 by the time it has been imported and on the road.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You 2-timing, double crossing, 162 rejecting, FWD hating rebel! Evil or Very Mad Laughing
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Tue, 16 September 2003 09:34

You 2-timing, double crossing, 162 rejecting, FWD hating rebel! Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Sorry Rob, everyone hates FWD Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't Mad I love my big fat ass understeering corners..haha

But I hate you now too!!!!! hahah j/k dude
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, its all good man Smile I do really like the 16x series, for mine, its when the celica's got back some style (sorry everyone ra40 and above), tho personally I would forgo the 162 and get a 165. Saw one in the paper here for 11k this weekend. And on the subject of 162's, I saw what musta been a 60 or 70yr old lady driving one on the way to work this morning Laughing
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i KNOW, everytime am cruising and I see an other 162 I am like, "cool..." until they get close and it is always the same reaction, "what?! an OLD LADY??? Their is either something wrong with the ladies, or the car." hmmm hahaha unless it is a modded one, and then it is some dude like me.

Yeah, I was SO drooling over that 165 on eBay with the 205 3SGTE recently.. ah well, only 1.5 years from being 25 and out of uni..
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was that the same one as performance motorsport or whatever they are called where importing from japan? If so that car almost made me blow my load...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah this one mate.. I nearly DIED of wanting it..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;item=2429162109&category=18290&rd=1
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy mother of lord nuts! Only 6k! And no-one took it! Shocked The one I was thinking of had a 205 engine in it and was going for around 14k I think. I wonder if that dude in Victoria is still selling it....
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know dude!!! I have never seen anything like it for the price, and I emailed him and what is MORE he was willing to part with it for 6.5 man! he was a top bloke and couldn't belive that no one had really bid on it.

He said a bloke in Tassie was super keen... Sad
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So he IS still selling it? Hrm..... ^_-
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
talk about a hi-jacked thread.. oops

I don't know.. haha, I am secretly dreaming I will find 6k under my bed and go buy it.. but i want it SO bad..
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could you not sell your 162 for 6k? Or somewhere near 6k? Slightly bringing this back on track somewhat Cool
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I would expect to be able to sell my car for at least 6k. Being quite a rare specimen with the manual and cruise plus all the power features, as well as a bit faster than your usual 162, as well as having a near-perfect interior. I saw a crap condition ST going for 5.3 here in Sydney the other day.

It isn't the cost of purchase the bothers me with the 165 though, it is the cost of having. I couldn't afford to insure it, so I wouldn't, and the extra time and money needed to look after it I just couldn't give while I am at uni so I am Sad Sad very sad. Maybe no insurance = ability to maintain it. Smile hmm

Maybe he has sold it already and that way I can forget about it and move on. If he sold it to a dude in Tassie, chances are I know the purchaser though. LOL.
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
contact him and find out Very Happy Then you can join Classique1 and mock FWD and RWD celica's while singing the praises of the GT4 at every possible occasion Laughing
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROFL.. haha ....yes..... I'll email him and see what he has to say for himself
Then with Classique and MontyPython I can say to everyone else, "now begone, before I mock you some more..."
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the subjects of st162's.. hehe.. I'd say it depends on where you sell them too hehe... i've seen them for as much as 12,000 for something with over 200000km's on it....

wonder how much mine would be worth seen the engine only has 80,000 on it Very Happy

st162's don't understeer that much... if it starts to.. that's what the handbrakes for Rolling Eyes
flashlaser
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cam_RA40 wrote on Tue, 16 September 2003 10:23

For a st162 with that many kms i rekon you'd only get $3500 - $4000. To import an AE86 trueno you'd be looking at at least $9000 by the time it has been imported and on the road.

WHOA!!! 9grand!!!! if i save a bit more i can buy a sileighty.

how hard would this 9grand trueno import be done up? dont' tell me standard, ah damn.

anywayz hopefully someone is selling their 1985 trueno.

Also were the 4000 sprinters imported into australia just levin's? the ones with the non pop up lights?

One more thing, my instrument gears stuffed up, so i have another instrument panel in there, it has lower k's, 190000. If i sell to someone private i will tell them the it has done 290000, but i was thinking if i sold to a car dealership, i shouldn't tell em, since they screw us around all the time, just a thought Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

[Updated on: Tue, 16 September 2003 21:37]

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been looking to do an import..
and unfortunately, 9 grand will get you a lightly tuned (intake, extractors, and exhaust) trueno.

This trueno will *DEFINITELY* be in rough condition. No doubt about it.

Also, for this price bracket, you won't find the popular "black and white" panda 3 door hatch. In fact, you won't really have any say in what color or style.

You might up your chances a little if you settle for a coupe model. But even then, it's pretty tough.

I clean, decent, stock trueno is definitely more expensive than a sileighty in japan (not unless the sileighty is genunine, and that means prices of $25k+).

You should be looking for something in the 12-15k bracket for something worth keeping.

rock on.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Tue, 16 September 2003 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and by the way dude...

do not get a sunroof...
the ae86 is a weak chassis, and under high stress, it will start to flex.

Look on the JDM ae86s that have been drifted, you'll see stress marks around the sunroof. THe sunroof really softens the integrity of the chassis.

Oh, there are about 30-40 trueno's in Australia. Probably about 15 of them are genuine imports. Of the 15, most are before 1985. As for someone selling theirs pretty soon, and a clean swap for your 162, good luck.

rock on. mate.
cam_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
haha, funny little head!
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a look on prestigemotorsport and the one i was refering to was actually a coupe levin, that was $7000 before on road costs and the basic compliance. So that one would be $9000 - $9500 by the time you can drive it and it is only a levin coupe!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and what exactly is a genuine sileighty?
I was under the impression they were a drifters creation only
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well here is the story...

back in the early days of drifting, people would smash their 180sx front ends all the time on mountain passes.
Because these happened so oftenly, they'd by a silvia front end because it was cheaper.
Pretty soon, it became fashionable. Those who had the frontend were respected, as it was a sign of a 'hardcore drifter'.

Soon enough, people started replacing their 180 fronts even though it wasn't smashed.
Nissan caught on to the trend, and made a limited edition run "sileighty". I think it was limited to about 400 vehicles or so. The car was a usual 180sx/silvia k engine wise. However, it had a factory drift setup in terms of suspension.

THe big giveaway sign is the badging. The silvia grill or emblem at the front, and the 180sx embossed emblem at the rear in between the lights have been replaced with a sileighty badge.

Because these cars are so rare, they demand a very high price.

rock on.
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charliechalk wrote on Tue, 16 September 2003 17:08

st162's don't understeer that much... if it starts to.. that's what the handbrakes for Rolling Eyes

fwd dorifto! Woot! Laughing
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in fact, I don't think any member of this board drives a JDM kouki(1985+) trueno.. (correct me if I am wrong guys)

Except for ae86drift, who's getting his panda trueno imported soon. So yeah......

be prepared to shell out top dollar for this vehicle.
the ae86 is not a cheap thrashy vehicle, but rather a cult classic which demands top dollar premium.

7K for an 86 coupe levin???? that's probably the least favourite incarnation of the hachiroku and it's that expensive.
Sad

the chances of acquiring a 3door trueno hatch won't be cheap.

rock on.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gtman wrote on Wed, 17 September 2003 12:25

fwd dorifto! Woot! Laughing

Hey, It makes doing a u turn on grass much quicker... almost halves the turning circle Very Happy

flashlaser
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe 15k is too much for me.

so lets scrap the ae86 idea, and more on to st165, hehe

wat prices would i expect on one of these.

as for straight line speed, how would a stock st165 compare to a stock 180sx and a stock 98 wrx sti.

wat mods would put me into the 12 sec bracket??

sorry for all the questions, its just that i need to feel the power of turbo, and rwd or 4wd

how are 4wd drifts, i've seen some pretty sick ones.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
urm, you could go 3sGTE...

but for the price of the conversion, you may be better off getting a genuine GT4.

Because the st162 are older 15 years...
it's cheap to import and comply...

you'd be looking at 10k for a pretty neat one..
from here, maybe a handset, and some mild tuning, and you'll have a beast.

so if you sell your current one, and save a little more...
GT4 all the way.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amen shcao!
flashlaser
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i think gt4 is the way

hopefully i can sell my st162 for 4g at least. The paint on the outside is like brand new, after a wash it outshines brand new cars and stays that way for a few weeks b4 getting dirty, the engine is in good condition too, since i only drive to work and back at nighttime too, and work is only five minutes away. The interior is in black vinyl with door pods. It has a 3g system in it but i think i'll take it out.

hmm seems like i'm selling my car now.

how much heavier is a gt4 compared to a 98 wrx, and whats the hp difference, i've heard toyota's have pretty strong gearboxes, or is that the supra gearbox only?

sorry for more questions, but if i had my research b4 i would of got a gt4 instead of the st162.
flashlaser
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah i still would have liked to drift in a trueno Very Happy Very Happy
arena
Regular

January 2003
      ?
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah hey can ia have a gt apex trueno for 4 grand too!!!! Confused

that would make me hell good drifter tooo...
flashlaser
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Wed, 17 September 2003 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arena wrote on Thu, 18 September 2003 07:22

yeah hey can ia have a gt apex trueno for 4 grand too!!!! Confused

that would make me hell good drifter tooo...

no need for sarcasm, and when did i say the trueno would make me a hell good drifter, i just said i wanted to drift in a trueno.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Sat, 20 September 2003 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes - YES - thats right - GT4's rule - FWD drools Smile

for the money i think there sno better " high end " performance car on the market than a st185

I mean - look at it - Bulletproof motor gearbox and drivetrain ( unless you have a metal fatigue weakened driveshaft like i had ) thats capable of handling BiG amounts of power with minor modifications

It comes STANDARD with excellent brakes, and as far as i know for the OZ ones - A torsen LSD rear end - AWD grip , and a slick looking silloette

Standard on the inside you get electric windows - power steering , ABS on some models , climate control on some models , extra comfy seats - a well laid out cabin , with everythig in reach that DOESNT look cheap. Outside of Supra or Mr2 - there is No higher spec performance model from toyota with the same amount of goodies or performance , or for that fact nothing bar those mentioned above with the same amount of BIG ppower tunability with already installed factory parts ( you dont need to do a engine conversion for one! )

Compare against a WRX - the WRX is lighter yes - and slightly more grunty in stock form - BUT they have weak ass gearboxes , 4 doors , typical sedan boxy looks , and evey goodamn hoon that DOESNT own a commodore V8 has one ..

Instant Japanabogan-car!

With the money saved in buying a st185 - you can rectify most of its weaknesses - like the intercooling setup - and the rear end suspension wanderness , add a bit of good exhaust , and boost , and have a car that in AWD terms - has little match on the road this side of Nissan GTR..

They are a good GOOD thing - and really worth the money

[Updated on: Sat, 20 September 2003 07:39]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Sat, 20 September 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aah - just read a little further in

You want to drift a trueno - then buy a playstation 2 with Grand turismo 3 - its cheaper - and if you crash - it doesnt matter !!

Now THATS how drifting should be done Smile Cool
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Sun, 21 September 2003 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
initial d special stage is now available on playstation Smile
flashlaser
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: st162 for ae86 Sun, 21 September 2003 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wanted to import a st165, so i can have sort of sleeper look, when i rip off all badges and replace with st162 ones Smile

how much would it cost to import a st165, how hard would it be to find one in japan, because i read that most cars that old would be scrap metal by now. I'm looking for a 1988 model st165 with sunroof.

Thanks

I've been offered a st185 for 8g but i don't want it
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: st162 for ae86 Mon, 22 September 2003 07:51 Go to previous message
I think john verban had one a while ago..

definitely under 10k..
have a chat with him..

it looked real nice

[Updated on: Mon, 22 September 2003 08:12]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Should I do a conversion ?
Next Topic:Look what happened
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 00:32:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078580379486084 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.