Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How much power can i get out of 1jz with....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Tue, 16 September 2003 13:10 Go to next message
Hi,
Im just wondering how good the soarer stock side mount intercooler is..
how much could i get out of a 1jz with stock side mount intercooler.. full 3 inch mandrel bent and exhaust? and what boost would i be able to run.
Also i wanna know what rwkw i can get safetely with that setup

Thanks Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's anything like the factory JZA80 intercooler it's junk, do it right the first time and buy a decent intercooler. You'll not only make more HP, but you'll do so with less boost.

Just remember Dyno figures vary from dyno to dyno, some dyno's give extremely generous numbers while others are somewhat conservative.

Smile
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

There are quite a few different side-mount 1JZ coolers, actually. The biggest & best seems to be the JZX81 Chaser. I have a small thick JZX90 in the for-sale section with a link to pics. I reckon it's a nice little unit if you're happy to run stokc boost and put down stock power figures. If your are spending money on the exhaust, you really should bite the bullet and go for a big cooler. I've just got a mother 700x300x70 core mounted into my MA61 Supra.

Justin
JZA61
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how did you get that to fit between the front bumper mounts?>?
I thought 600 was the biggest that would fit
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

If you don't mind doing some cutting and welding, I think you could fit almost any size cooler into a MA61 - see Norbie's Monster Cooler. If you want to leave everything on the body untouched, I think JCMF found that 400mm was the largest. I'm also interested to see how Jaze managed to avoid cutting holes for the plumbing.

I'll have pics of the cooler in place in the next couple of days!

Justin
JZA61
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice. I want to get a 600 in there - but apparently 550 *just* fits
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is 550mm core size, no cutting. You would probably be able to fit a larger one if you were crafty with end tanks.

Justin, where do you live again dude? I really wanna have a squiz at your car Razz
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any chance of getting a pic of your cooler mounting, so I can see what might be done to the end tanks ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure dude, next time I'm at the workshop with the digital camera I'll take some happy snaps for you.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you ma61 guys are lucky! There is only just enough room to fit the stock jzx90 front mount intercooler in my Corona.

I am sticking with it for now. And will have to get a really thick good flowing one later as i can't fit a massively wide and high one.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so anyone got any guesses on power i would get? rather than just talk about intercoolersa haha
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Wed, 17 September 2003 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was told by celicamad that my setup would make around 240rwwp which is 180rwkw. Mine is the same as yours except jzx90 FMIC instead of the side mount.

so maybe a little less if you can't get enough airflow to it?

does that answer your question? Smile

P.S If i were you i would invest in one of celicamad's boost controllers. It has proved to be a very good addition on near stock 1j's like his.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bassaholic: how many PSI are you running?. Im thinking about using a skyline gtr intercooler now. but 180 rwkw would make me very happy
A celicamad boost controller is alrady on the list.. where do you acquire them?

Thanks
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car is not running yet. but it will be running stock boost. which i am told is about 14psi with a 3" exhaust. that figure was justa guess though as all dynos are different.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much and where(preferrably in bris) can i get a celicamad boost controller?

Thanks
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad is a member here. I think they are between $260 and $300. he has a site which explains it much better. have a search as i can't remember what it is.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://home.kooee.com.au/celicamad/celicamad%20boo st%20control.htm
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thanks
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres a dumb question for ya guys, but.....

i understand how boost and turbos blah blah work, but, when you say you're running at XXX bar boost or whatever, is that the whole time the engine is running or do you have to "hit it" so to speak?? if so under what circumstances etc??

thanks Very Happy
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the boost pressure goes up with revs (positive feedback i think its called) at low revs, low or no pressure, more revs = more pressure = even more revs = even more pressure etc. etc.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh i see. so it's constantly "on" but you'd hit a level of boost with a certain rpm??
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when poeple say they're running blah boost, that's the max boost. Max boost is hit under heavy acceleration, and is usually unacheivable in 1st gear (as there is not enough load on the engine).
if you're just cruising along, your engine will typically be running in vacuum (below 0psi of boost). the harder you push on the accelerator, the more exhaust gas you produce, the faster the turbo spins, and the most boost is generated.
if you floor it, the turbo will spool up, producing more and more boost, until it hits "max boost", and at that stage the boost will not increase more (as the wastegate opens, etc etc)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rpm is a factor, but not the main one.
you can be going along at 6000rpm, and if you're just maintaining that speed there will probably be no boost - as there's very little load on the engine (depends what gear you're in of course)
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah supurb. so the same theory applies when using a boost controller of some sort? it just increases the pressure achievable in the cold side of the turbo?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep
basically fools the wastegate into opening later, hence more boost is generated.

if anyone witha much more technical knowledge has other ideas, feel free to shoot me down and re-educate me Smile
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would just like to ask about blow off valves.

can someone tell me if this is right?

a blow off valve vents boost pressure to the atmosphere when the throttle closes. because when the throttle closes on boost, the pressurised air/mixture cannot go anywhere, therefore forcing the turbo tho slow down. if the blow off valve opens when the throttle closes, the turbo can keep spinning freely, thus when power is re-applied, you still have max boost.

edit: this is what i friend and i came up with and not to sure it is right

thanks
evan

[Updated on: Thu, 18 September 2003 06:03]

Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, thats what ive read too. they sound cool as well.

i read up all the basics and shit on www.prestigemotorsport.com.au and under 'turbo talk' i found it pretty good when i was just starting out in this cool stuff....
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mostly right, but they don't have to vent to atmosphere; in fact pretty much all factory BOV's are plumb-back.

The main function of a BOV is to prevent damage to the impeller wheel and the inlet piping from huge pressure spikes; it doesn't have much to do with keeping the turbo spinning. The turbo is going to slow down no matter what as soon as you close the throttle simply because its power source (ie high-velocity exhaust gas) has been taken away.

FWIW my intercooler split open because the BOV wasn't functioning correctly. Proof that they are important!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark
I should look into one then - I know the factory 1jz one is not big enough to support the 14psi of boost I'm running
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The factory 1JZ one is fine for 14psi (I've been running 13.5psi for almost 2 years) but they tend to start leaking from 15psi upward.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's adequate barely. considering I'm actually running 1.2bar of boost at spikes in 3rd gear, that's closer to 16 or 17 psi
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did 45,000kms on my old 7m with NO BOV, or if you want to get technical on the factory unit, compressor bypass valve and not once did I blow an intercooler hose off, damage an intercooler or have any excess play in the turbo.

I was running 12psi towards the end of the M saga....

I now run 14.5psi on my 2JZ, still running the factory By pass valve with no problems popping pipes off and such.

Have you done a pre-intercooler boost check yet Norbie? to see how much pressure those poor little turbos are really having to push through that intercooler of yours?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Thu, 18 September 2003 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah not yet. I refuse to believe that those turbos are capable of developing enough pressure to bend and eventually split metal though. Smile
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Sun, 21 September 2003 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just for point of interest to get 240 rwkw . you will more than just the intercooler mods .you will need 16 psi boost a much leaner than factory mixture .amd a damn good exhaust and twin dump pipes . 2 manual supra's have made over 240 rwkw on my dyno plus .

which has proven to be about 10% higher than toymods dyno ( as are 90% of dynos)

Just a note so that those that havnt read previous post are aware of what mods are required

another point

Quote:

when poeple say they're running blah boost, that's the max boost. Max boost is hit under heavy acceleration, and is usually unacheivable in 1st gear (as there is not enough load on the engine).

this is true however i have been able to in 99% of cases get the exact same boost in all gears ...EVEN first gear .That is what makes my controller a little more expensive to make. the valve system is quite unique

On the good side is the controller gets 0-100 times down A LOT lower than standard controllers

Quote:

The factory 1JZ one is fine for 14psi (I've been running 13.5psi for almost 2 years) but they tend to start leaking from 15psi upward.

i think your probably right

i think mine is leaking . have you found info on this ?or others that have found the same problem or simply been told this may be true..... how did they know it was leaking ???

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Sun, 21 September 2003 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to give you a free plug paul ... but I figured it would be better coming from someone who has actually used it Smile
I'll have one installed in my beastie soon enough
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Sun, 21 September 2003 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im only lookin at 180rwkw... but with future upgradability for 250rwkw... but 180 for now
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Mon, 22 September 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad wrote on Sun, 21 September 2003 22:33

Quote:

i think your probably right

i think mine is leaking . have you found info on this ?or others that have found the same problem or simply been told this may be true..... how did they know it was leaking ???

I haven't found definitive info about it (basically just been "told"). I pulled mine off last week and put a brand new BOV on and it does seem to hold boost better. There was a point on the old BOV that felt like boost was not being held in (creeping out slightly) but I don't get this effect with the new one. I don't know if it's actually better or not, just opinion from driving it with the new BOV the last 4 days.
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Mon, 22 September 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great thats the same problem im getting and suspected the BOV or plumbing . i think ill fit a bosch one and see how it goes
thanx

draven thanks i actually prefer your honesty .That way people know for sure how ell my controller works .but feel free to plug me once you fit your controller Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Mon, 22 September 2003 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah well, I try not to stick my head too far into places I dont know Smile
all I can say is everyone I know who has one loves it
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Mon, 22 September 2003 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its insane... you cant even finish ur sentence about boost controllers .. you get to like "im gonna get a new boo" and they are like "GET A CELICAMAD ONE"... so im guessing they are good
Aussie
Regular

June 2003
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Mon, 22 September 2003 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't mean to interrupt the thread, but has anyone used the celicamad boost controller on a 1ggte??? i would be very interested in getting one down the path if they work with 1ggte's (i know they work with any turbo engine... just wondering if they work WELL on 1g's) as i have read about them on your site before, and was very impressed, any thought's celicamad???
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Tue, 23 September 2003 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How, or what with, do you plug up the hole left by the stock blow off valve on the 1JZ? Does it just pull out?

Alex.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 September 2003 01:38]

Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Tue, 23 September 2003 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen metal plates bolted there when people move their BOV. My new one went back into the stock hole (GFB make 1JZ adapters) so I didn't have to plug mine.
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Tue, 23 September 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aussie

controllers work great on 1ggte .just as good as 1jzgte . in fact i havnt yet found a car they dont work on .

i have fitted one to a stock 1ggte with the exact same rsults as the 1jzgte .

i recently loaned a valve to a mate with a 1ggte im not sure if he has fitted it yet . ill email him and find out . And get him to email you .

if a few people can get together say organise a day at a dyno shop in sydney . im happy to demo the controller on someone elses car

Danish
simply make a template to cover the oval shaped hole and get a plate cut . make a gasket or add some gasket silastic drill the hole and bolt it on

Jag7799

just getting back to your original post

if you follow the link below to my webpage i have a few dyno graphs etc on stock 1jz with similar mods .
if you check out toymods dyno day results you can see some fairly consistent results

if a chaser front mount will fit i have one i can sell for a reasonable price .they are better than soarer but nothing beats a custom big cooler

any one fitted a bosch bov ?????????

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How much power can i get out of 1jz with.... Tue, 23 September 2003 12:56 Go to previous message
it turns out im actually getting a jza70 cut most likely.. so i might have no need.. but incase i dont.. what ya lookin for price wise?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Regrind CAMS for a 2TGEU
Next Topic:ta22 rear windows
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 03:03:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.020390033721924 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.