Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
where to get a 7mgte Wed, 24 September 2003 07:19 Go to next message
After having yet another problem with the 7m that is in my car I have decided to get another engine rather than continue to waste money on the current one.

Due to the problems I've had with the current motor I'm considering getting a rebuilt motor instead of another 2nd hand import.

Can someone tell me the best place to get a rebuilt 7mgte or a place that will sell me a decent 2nd hand import that is not so likely to fuck up.

I would really appreciate any input on this

thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: where to get a 7mgte Wed, 24 September 2003 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Being a smartarse I'd suggest Pittwater, I know of 1 7m on the bottom of the ocean floor there Laughing

Seriously, most importers don't seem to bring them in anymore - however look around and no doubt you'll find one Smile

Rebuilding the old 7M isn't cheap, give Stan Keen a call, he know's how to put these things together properly.
ma61_turbo
Regular

June 2002

Re: where to get a 7mgte Wed, 24 September 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL at Stenno. Not sure as I'd want a rusty 7m though Wink

Yeah, speak to Stan Keen. I'm pretty sure you'd need to go through ATS to do it. I'll check with the friend of mine who just recently had his 7m rebuilt. Unless you know Stenno? I never got that info from Danny as I'm not planning on rebuilding my 7m anytime soon Wink

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: where to get a 7mgte Wed, 24 September 2003 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wheres that rusty 7M???? theres a few people in need of geting a rusty 7m up em' sideways

Allan
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: where to get a 7mgte Wed, 24 September 2003 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ma61_turbo wrote on Wed, 24 September 2003 23:10

LOL at Stenno. Not sure as I'd want a rusty 7m though Wink

Yeah, speak to Stan Keen. I'm pretty sure you'd need to go through ATS to do it. I'll check with the friend of mine who just recently had his 7m rebuilt. Unless you know Stenno? I never got that info from Danny as I'm not planning on rebuilding my 7m anytime soon Wink

Ahhh small world Smile

Yup, Danny is the last man to have his 7m rebuilt, Nick had his Group A race motor rebuilt from Stan, and that thing is a weapon.

I would have saved thousands If I had of sent my motor to Stan *shrugs* such is life Smile

Allan - was a harsh 'Anchor M' joke'. I sold my engine some time ago, guy got an absolute bargain. Was funny hearing the old man say "So long sucker" when the buyer drove off with it Laughing
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: where to get a 7mgte Thu, 25 September 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got my motor from JMS but they don't sell them anymore, and I don't think I'd get another motor through them anyway. I can't find any other 7m's in SA but there are plenty of places that sell them interstate, however if I get one from interstate I'd want to get it from somewhere where I can be pretty sure they'll send me a good one.

How can I get in touch with Stan Keen? and does anyone have any Idea approximately how much a rebuild will cost me?

[Updated on: Thu, 25 September 2003 01:39]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: where to get a 7mgte Thu, 25 September 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stenno wrote on Wed, 24 September 2003 20:18

Being a smartarse I'd suggest Pittwater, I know of 1 7m on the bottom of the ocean floor there Laughing

It would have the same amount of water in the bores as a good running one..... Razz
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: where to get a 7mgte Thu, 25 September 2003 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd suggest you get in touch with Danny (hks_trd on these forums, if he's still here). He owns a pretty tough 7m built by the guys at ATS. Otherwise drop me a PM and I'll give you his email address.
You could always try calling ATS (Adelaide Turbo Services) as well. You'll need to bring out the checkbook!!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: where to get a 7mgte Thu, 25 September 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 14:12

It would have the same amount of water in the bores as a good running one..... Razz

Well at least the dipstick tube dosent fall out Razz

Allan
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: where to get a 7mgte Thu, 25 September 2003 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a couple of quotes for a rebuild around the $3500 mark but then I found a low km import engine at adelaide jap imports for $1650 so I'm having a look at that today
ma61_turbo
Regular

June 2002

Re: where to get a 7mgte Fri, 26 September 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stenno wrote on Wed, 24 September 2003 23:19

Ahhh small world Smile

Yup, Danny is the last man to have his 7m rebuilt, Nick had his Group A race motor rebuilt from Stan, and that thing is a weapon.

I would have saved thousands If I had of sent my motor to Stan *shrugs* such is life Smile

Allan - was a harsh 'Anchor M' joke'. I sold my engine some time ago, guy got an absolute bargain. Was funny hearing the old man say "So long sucker" when the buyer drove off with it Laughing

Yeah, very small world Smile

Yeah, Nick's is definately a weapon. One of these days he'll take me for a spin in it too. So far all I've been able to do is admire the idle LOL

7mgte83: as with all "low km" import motors take it with a pinch of salt. And if they won't give a 3 month warantee on it, don't buy it *shrug* Oh, also keep in mind that you have a 99% chance of getting a BHG on it, so don't put all your cash into buying the motor. The 7m I got from them, while it turned out that it was indeed a low k motor the headgasket went within a year anyway.

Hope it all works out

[Updated on: Fri, 26 September 2003 05:56]

Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: where to get a 7mgte Fri, 26 September 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Thu, 25 September 2003 14:12

Laughing it's probably got less Very Happy
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: where to get a 7mgte Fri, 26 September 2003 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For $1600 you could fix your old one if you did the work yourself that would get you a basic rebuild less pistons i would say the most expencive thing is the gasket kit!

7M parts are cheap and plentyfull thanks to the work of all these 2jz/1jz suckers hehhehehe

im shure ed, myself and others all smile as norbie and his troop of JZsexuals get someone to dump there 7m and get 1/2jz Smile

.... on second thoughts yeah GO 1JZ!!!! Very Happy ill come and collect the 7m for a small fee Very Happy

Allan

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: where to get a 7mgte Sat, 27 September 2003 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 26 September 2003 20:33

norbie and his troop of JZsexuals

You really worry me sometimes Allan.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: where to get a 7mgte Sat, 27 September 2003 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehhehheheh Laughing
turbovan
Regular

February 2003

Re: where to get a 7mgte Wed, 01 October 2003 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rebuilt my 7M for about $1500 including all machining, gaskets, new hoses, ARP studs etc etc

That was doing everything myself except machining.

Not sure of your mechanical skills, but they are not a particularly difficult engine to rebuild should you decide to go this route... the factory workshop manual is pretty comprehensive too.

Also it is satisfying when you thrash an engine you built yourself Smile
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: where to get a 7mgte Thu, 02 October 2003 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, Nick's is definately a weapon. One of these days he'll take me for a spin in it too. So far all I've been able to do is admire the idle LOL

I've driven it:-)

What you do also depends on how much power you are planning on making. Nothing beats a new motor. You can try giving ATS a call but they dont like to take on alot of big work these days and are really fussy so unless you want to go all out they will be your worst nightmare. Either Stan or John Keen can be trusted to build the motor for you, there would be other peeps in SA that you could trust too but I dont know anyone for sure to recommend

HTH
Dan
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: where to get a 7mgte Thu, 02 October 2003 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

How do we join this JZsexuals group Allan? Razz

Are you the President Norbie? How much is membership? Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: where to get a 7mgte Thu, 02 October 2003 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About $10k by my count. Shocked
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: where to get a 7mgte Thu, 02 October 2003 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Put me on the list Cool
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: where to get a 7mgte Fri, 03 October 2003 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes you can all line up on GT's throttle bodys while someone cranks it over Razz
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: where to get a 7mgte Fri, 03 October 2003 01:07 Go to previous message
'bodies'
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:st165 vs MA70
Next Topic:Webber? Are they worth it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-