Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
3S-GE rebuild q Mon, 13 October 2003 05:52 Go to next message
Just finally finished my ST162 engine rebuild...nearly everything is running great. However, there is a slight whirring/whining noise coming from the cam timing belt. Is this normal for a new belt?

The only thing that I could have stuffed up is maybe when we were cleaning the engine up the idler pulley got a little bit 'degreased' - everything else (cam pulleys, crank pulley etc) was taken apart and re-installed with new seals, grease etc etc so this is the only thing I can think of. I personally don't want to have to take the timing cover off again as it's a complete pain in the arsehole with the engine in the car and I've already had to do it twice.
  Send a private message to this user    
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 3S-GE rebuild q Mon, 13 October 2003 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd personally recommend replacing the idler pulley when doing the rebuild.

its the most likely culprit of the noise you are describing. If it seizes then the timing belt will break. The 3S-GE is a non-interference head, so the damage won't be huge, just very annoying.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GE rebuild q Mon, 13 October 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you considered that the timing belt may be slightly too tight? that makes a nice whirring noise (with a hint of buzz)
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3S-GE rebuild q Mon, 13 October 2003 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm...no buzz. But a definite whine/whirr.
Looks like I'll have to take that fuxoring timing cover off again! Man I hate getting at the two bolts next to the engine mount, then there's the debacle of getting it out of the tight space that it's in.

*sigh*

FWDs suck Smile
Steve_Reynolds
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3S-GE rebuild q Tue, 14 October 2003 02:34 Go to previous message
The tensioner on a 162 has a bearing you can easiy replace for less than $10. I'd have the bearing pressed out and replaced. Could just be a bit dry if you degreasd it and it was getting oldish.
Steve
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Imports and conversions...
Next Topic:1UZ - 185? or 208?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 11:51:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041308403015137 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.