Toymods » Tech & Conversions » intercooler/turbo...help

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
icon5.gif  intercooler/turbo...help Wed, 15 October 2003 12:33 Go to next message
Just wondering, I have a TA23 with a 3TGTE in it, the 3TGTE has been rebuilt using oversized pistons, new bearings etc. It has upgraded fuel pumps and 400cc injectors, and a Haltech F7K management system, A new performance clutch and supra box. Apart from that it is relitively standard.

The car has poor performance from what I had expected, what are some good modifications that may be performed to increase power. Soon to come is a pod filter, intercooler (GT4 top mount), 3 inch exhaust and switching the haltech unit to map sensor.

Anyone had similar problems with the 3TGTE or is this expected with a relitively stock motor?? Is there any other important modifications (other than turbo/manifold upgrade - that will come when $$$$ arrives) that I have missed out on, or anything that should be checked for loss of performance.

Thanks. Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 15 October 2003 12:55]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Wed, 15 October 2003 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stock CT20 is from the stone age and will be a serious bottleneck, especially if you're not running an intercooler. There's not much you can do until you've upgraded to a real turbo and a good intercooler. Once you've done that the car will be transformed. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 15 October 2003 13:00]

ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Wed, 15 October 2003 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep still using standard CT20 and I am contemplating which intercooler to put on there, would a top mount water to air intercooler off a GT4 be sufficient, or would the extra work to put a front mount in be worth it??

Also is the lack of performance expected with standard turbo and no intercooler?? What turbo and intercooler do you reccomend??

Thanks

[Updated on: Wed, 15 October 2003 13:10]

ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Wed, 15 October 2003 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone??
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go a good front mount if I were you; you've got plenty of room for it so why not? Less screwing around with heat exchangers and pumps and all that too. As for the turbo, apparently a CT26 (from an MR2/GT4 engine) works pretty well. You could use just about any turbo from a modern 2 litre engine and it should do the trick, eg RB20, SR20, EJ20 etc.

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm also curious about the performance/lack of performance that would be had with a CT20(high flowed) with no intercooler on a 2TGEU. From what I understood the intercooler cools the air down(duh..), this is to reduce the engine temps, as pushing hot air back into a already hot engine could cause reliabilty issues in hot weather(ie. Australian summer), I wasn't sure if it actually affected performance(I'm guessing it makes it better thought), I'd put an intercooler in aswell, but if I'm running low boost I wasn't sure that I'd need one, and the money spent on an intercooler could possibly be spent on the higher insurance premium Confused . But not being the most knowledable soul, I'm open to being corrected Smile
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I was just dissappointed with lack of performance overall on the 3TGTE, expected more, but as Norbie said upgrading turbo, adding intercooler and tuning my Haltech unit should make the thing fly......hopefully!

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An intercooler is the best single performance mod you can do to any turbo engine. Even at the same boost pressure you can expect a ~10% power increase straight away. That's power for nothing, can't argue with that! However the real advantage of intercooling is the ability to safely run much more boost than you can with no intercooler. You can only go so far with a CT20 before you drop out of its efficiency range, but you should still be able to run 10psi or so which will be a very worthwhile performance boost over a stock 3T-GTE.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adding an intercooler, proper exhaust and tuning of my EMS is among the mods that I hope to achieve very soon, also because summer is approaching and temperatures of 45 degrees celcius are common where I live the intercooler will keep the turbo cooler. Hopefully when I perform these mods I will be impressed with my cars performance Cool
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly the CT20 is an agricultural device and should be ritually burnt at the stake. Ahhhh got that off my chest...
After saying that I campained a ct20 on my smaller ge and gze motors and found that it produced an increadable amount of exhaust lock @ about 5000 rpm.So much so I ended up snapping the shaft in it. At the very least get yourself a t28 if not a ct26.
Dont waste your money trying to get anything more out of the ct20.

I was getting the same amount of power out of the ct20 @ 8psi as I was at 15psi.So theres not much point pushing it harder.
GT4 intercoolers are much underestimated creatures and should be given due consideration.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intercooler won't keep the turbo cooler, it'll cool the air from the turbo on it's way to the inlet manifold. Compressing air adds energy (heat) to it, and with an Air:Air intercooler like a front mount you never get the air into the intake mainfold any colder than ambient. So if it's 45 deg outside the coolest your intake will be (at 100% efficiency) is 45 deg.
The reason for intercooling is that the colder your compressed air is, the more dense it is, and the more fuel it can carry and combust with. Thus less detonation and "leaning out" problems generally and more power!

Just clearing that up as it seemed you thought an intercooler would keep the turbo cooler.... Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All quite correct. If you want to get your inlet temps below ambient you have to resort to some other form of intercooling (eg water/methanol injection) or cheat by packing your intercooler with dry ice. Smile
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've often thought of getting a water spray onto the outside of my cooler core - or actually using a methylated spirits (ethanol really) and water mixture, the ethanol will azeotrope with the water to evaporate faster than straight water, and thus absorb heat faster (perhaps less efficiently though). You'd need to experiment to find the right mixture/atomisation, and although you'd have ehhanol vapour it'd be so dispersed I doubt there would be a flammability risk.
Any one else thought about this?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It works but it's pretty dodgy and nowhere near as effective as proper water/methanol injection. I definitely wouldn't be spraying flammable substances in the vicinity of my engine bay either!
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: intercooler/turbo...help Thu, 16 October 2003 06:09 Go to previous message
All good, thanks for your comments etc. I will take them into consideration! Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Name of spares on parra road..
Next Topic:Rotary 13B turbo in MR2 SW20?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 09:44:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048971176147461 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.