Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Burning wires Thu, 16 October 2003 23:41 Go to next message
I'm not electrical minded at all Embarassed , but have wired my car Confused

My main DC16 thermo fan works great, never had a problem with it (except for the relays and switches etc. different story).

My other fans consist of 2 x CD sized ones on the side of the radiator and 1 x 10inch one in between the radiator and the intercooler.

These other 3 fans I've tried to wire off the one relay, which resulted in the large wire from the batery to the relay (about 15cm long, and pretty thick) melting, and some of the small wires to the fans (I used cheapy stereo wires) have burnt off the relay completely.

Now if I only put one of the fans on the relay and put a new thick power wire to the relay it still burnt off the relay.

Are my wires to the fan too thin? (I've got some thicker ones but don't want to do it if its not going to make a difference)
Is my relay busted?
Is my battery/charge system stuffed? (everything else works great)

I've got a nice multimeter that I'm learning to use - used it in wiring the engine, but I'm still not sure what it all means I just kept twisting the knob till something I could understand came up on the readout.

The large DC fan is adequate for cooling, but having 4 thermo fans is just cool Cool . Plus when I put my intercooler back in I want more airflow to the radiator.
  Send a private message to this user    
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Burning wires Thu, 16 October 2003 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Possibly a bad earth in that circuit.
check your earth connections an beef up the wiring to earth

I Just had a similar problem.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Thu, 16 October 2003 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bolt that the earth from the battery to chassy is nearby, I might look at putting it on that bolt instead of the back of the relay (the screw that holds the relay to the chassy).

Thanks mate Smile
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be your problem if your using the normal plastic case relays bolted through paintwork your ring connection may not be contactiong any metal or very little (as was my problem) you could use a separate bolt and make sure that the bolt head is touching the ring connection (clamping) Smile
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats exactly what I'm doing.

Ok I'll change it this weekend and see if it improves.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I just kept twisting the knob till something I could understand came up on the readout.

lol, I AM NOT ALONE! Smile Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd be seriously looking at setting up individual circuits for each.... also get some decent wire, likr the 15 or 20amp stuff from jaycar (figure 8 autop or something like that) is only a couple of $/m. chances are you've fried the relay.. grab some Bosch ones from the wreckers.... lots of them in things like Vl commondores etc.

is the relay connected up properly? are there any shorts in the power circuit? are the fans ok? melting wires (ime) has been due to a wires insulation being cut, or some other cause resulting in a short circuit to ground.... 100+amps thru speaker wire is not good.

if you have the thick speaker wire, then that might be ok. you'd want the copper part to be maybe 1-1.5mm diamter as a guess..

pm me if you want any more help Smile
Cya, Stewart
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Stewart. What I might do is pull it all out and re-do the lot. Put the thicker speaker wire in to all 3 fans, get a really good earth, replace the relay.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaker wire is engineered for high response, low(ish) current, AC situations - Don't use it for the fans these are high current DC which is not quite right... I used to make that sort of mistake, even your big ass ofc speaker cable is no good for drawing high loads!!

I could go into large amounts of details...as to figures, the faraday effect and how the cable is desgined differently (lots of small wires, opposed to a few bigger ones) etc, or you could just take my word for it.

proper cable is cheaper anyway...

Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the relay clicks then its working properly, but they do have a current limit
u should prolly have one for the big fan, and one for the rest
make sure the earth wire on the fans and the relay is as big as the power wire going to it

when grounding through a bolt hole, scratch off some of the paint so that the wire/connector is contacted with bare metal
remember, paint doesnt conduct

if you want to test the current that all the fans are drawing, put the black lead in the COM hole and the red in the 10A hole (this is usually the case, but not always), and set the dial to 10A
then place the DMM (digi multimeter) in SERIES with the power cable going to the fans, with the red lead on the battery and the black lead on the wires going to the fans/relay, depending on the setup
if this works u should know how much current the fans are drawing, and buy some cable to handle this
dont use speaker wire, its not designed to take it
buy some proper auto wire (5m rolls, get a red, a black, and prolly a blue or green to distinguish the different purposes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why the fuck is every electrical problem talked about on this forum automatically diagnosed as being a bad earth Confused

Anyway what type of relay are you using? Can you get a photo of the relay? Preferably the side which shows the internal circuit so I can talk you through the wiring?
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 17 October 2003 15:28

Why the fuck is every electrical problem talked about on this forum automatically diagnosed as being a bad earth Confused

coz most ppl dont realise that any current that flows in the positive side, must get back to the body via the earth, and hence they just chuck a small one on, barely touching the bodywork

anyway, i'd say pete is using the standard davies craig relay, similar to bosch ones (ie the numbers 30, 85,86,87)
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete,

if you car is running, give me a call and perhaps you can drop by after i finish work on saturday or sunday, i'll sort the problem out.

My thoughts are though, that even if the wires are small, it still takes a fair whack of current to burn them out!

What i would be doing, first of all is this:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PQALA7oR4RL!D*Yd9KpNOCkjgdKvpK!ZFq3vDnFwZ1pEfGV6acijxEYgi6W55ypiRIwDk74szYRRrppFKuaMsM75nffK8oKd/fan!!.jpg?dc=4675443273354853027

on each fan individually to test them, and if you are blowing fuses there, then there is something wrong with your fan.

I had a similar thing happen on my old AE92, turned out being that the fan was pooped!
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it doesnt take much to heat up the wires or blow fuses

fans draw up to 10 amps when running
but when the fan just turns on it could draw up to 20 amps

best thing to do is for a large thermo
use over 30 amp wire and fuse holders
and a 25 amp fuse
always use hi amp wire than the fuse u r running

for small thermos u might want to run one relay for both
one relay per fan is recommended

y r u running 4 thermos
i wouldnt brag if i had to use 4 thermos
if u r running so many fans id look at running a second battery
or fixing yr cooling problem
one 16 inch fan is better than two 10 inch fans

u prob have problems with room
but 4 thermos is a lot of drain on yr battery and alternator
especially if u then have a lot of efi wiring
and a stereo

[Updated on: Fri, 17 October 2003 12:21]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Fri, 17 October 2003 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i find electric motors to be quite interesting devices really....

say for instance our little 10A thermo fan here... when running it draws around 10A. However, for that motor to "kick over" for the first time it requires a massive rush of current... which under "no-load" conditions on a typical electric motor is around 3-4 times the rated current (note: a fan on a motor is a load Smile)

Now if that same motor were to start up under load, say with a fand attached to it, it can draw up to 10 and sometimes 20 times its rated operating current!

/end electric motors lesson 1.

p.s. Don't worry, that instantaneous start-up current is so short lived that relays have no problems with it, and nor would a fuse in most cases. Much like sideshow has mentioned Smiley =
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Burning wires Sat, 18 October 2003 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You said early on that if you connect only one fan, the wires still burn out. Does this happen with each of the three fans or only one. Maybe you have a really good earth ... only problem is it's inside one of the fans. Shocked If it happens with each of the fans you've probably got a really good earth inside your relay. Do each of the fans work properly when connected directly to the battery ... with some decent wire ?
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Burning wires Sat, 18 October 2003 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 17 October 2003 17:28

Perhaps because that is one of the simplest and most obvious things to fix that is associated with burning wires...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Burning wires Sat, 18 October 2003 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Sat, 18 October 2003 12:28

Cool1 wrote on Fri, 17 October 2003 17:28

Perhaps because that is one of the simplest and most obvious things to fix that is associated with burning wires...

Ok now explain why having a bad earth would cause wires to burn out?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Sat, 18 October 2003 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if an earth wire is say, perhaps grossly undersized (i have seen this first hand on more than one occasion!)
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Burning wires Sat, 18 October 2003 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As he has said -
THE WITZL wrote on Sat, 18 October 2003 16:52

if an earth wire is say, perhaps grossly undersized (i have seen this first hand on more than one occasion!)

Also I have had experiences with burnt wires on my Haltech EMS, when I contacted the guy that wired up my EMS for me he pointed out that it is a bad earth, soon as earth fixed, no more burnt wires. Is this good enough for you or do you know better cool1?

If this mechanic pointed this out over the phone it is obviously a common problem which is easily fixed, I believe that is why people suggest having bad earths when this type of electrical problem occurs.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 October 2003 07:08]

Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Burning wires Sat, 18 October 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A bad earth implies high resistance between 12v and earth which in turn means that current is limited. The only possibility would be if a bad earth somewhere else was forcing current from other devices to find earth through these wires and overloading them (which is unlikely in this case). How long is this thread full of speculation going to go on ??? Evil or Very Mad Get a new relay, get some proper wire and connect one fan at a time until you get (or don't get) a problem. Basic electrical troubleshooting procedures should sort this out in 15 minutes. Mad Mad ... and there is plenty of info from everyone in this thread to do it. Confused Follow The Witzl's diagram to start with and as he said, check that each fan works first before trying multiple fans.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 October 2003 08:26]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Burning wires Sat, 18 October 2003 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Sat, 18 October 2003 17:04

As he has said -
THE WITZL wrote on Sat, 18 October 2003 16:52

Also I have had experiences with burnt wires on my Haltech EMS, when I contacted the guy that wired up my EMS for me he pointed out that it is a bad earth, soon as earth fixed, no more burnt wires. Is this good enough for you or do you know better cool1?

No thats not good enough, it doesnt explain a damm thing! Maybe you should re-read the guys original post! There is no way his problem is caused by a bad earth!
I think you should go back to college and redo your electronics course Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Burning wires Sat, 18 October 2003 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Fri, 17 October 2003 09:41

I'm not electrical minded at all Embarassed , but have wired my car Confused

My main DC16 thermo fan works great, never had a problem with it (except for the relays and switches etc. different story).

My other fans consist of 2 x CD sized ones on the side of the radiator and 1 x 10inch one in between the radiator and the intercooler.

These other 3 fans I've tried to wire off the one relay, which resulted in the large wire from the batery to the relay (about 15cm long, and pretty thick) melting, and some of the small wires to the fans (I used cheapy stereo wires) have burnt off the relay completely.

Now if I only put one of the fans on the relay and put a new thick power wire to the relay it still burnt off the relay.

Are my wires to the fan too thin? (I've got some thicker ones but don't want to do it if its not going to make a difference)
Is my relay busted?
Is my battery/charge system stuffed? (everything else works great)

I've got a nice multimeter that I'm learning to use - used it in wiring the engine, but I'm still not sure what it all means I just kept twisting the knob till something I could understand came up on the readout.

The large DC fan is adequate for cooling, but having 4 thermo fans is just cool Cool . Plus when I put my intercooler back in I want more airflow to the radiator.

What type of fans are you using? They dont happen to have shunt diodes in them do they Rolling Eyes
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 19 October 2003 00:49

What type of fans are you using? They dont happen to have shunt diodes in them do they Rolling Eyes

I have a rather standard 3TGTE, so therefore I only have the standard fan and no aftermarket fans. Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Sun, 19 October 2003 13:12

Cool1 wrote on Sun, 19 October 2003 00:49

I have a rather standard 3TGTE, so therefore I only have the standard fan and no aftermarket fans. Rolling Eyes

I was asking hkspete Rolling Eyes
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps people should learn to distinguish between an "earthing" problem and a "shorting" problem. An earthing problem means less current gets to earth whereas a shorting problem means too much current gets to earth. Before people throw up suggestions for resolving problems they should do some elementary diagnosis of what the problem is and if they don't know the solution DON'T provide one ... by all means post an expression of interest in the answer and then wait till someone who knows what they are doing responds. In this case, the problem is more likely to be a "shorting" or overloading problem which can easily be linked to consequences such as burned out wiring.
Of all the suggestions that have been offered, there has been no response from HKSPete as to what he has tried or achieved. Perhaps we should wait to see his results before we continue these bullshit arguments back and forth. It would be nice to know that HKSPete has managed to resolve his problem and the manner in which he did it. Razz
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stick to the topic, lets not get personal here!
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes
the way things are going the car will never be fixed
just take it to auto electrician
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuck me, wasn't expecting a big debate/argument about this.

Sorry for this, but I havn't looked at the car yet! As I said in my original post the car is working, but it burns out the wires when I connect any of the extra fans.

I'll get stuck into it soon. I've gotta get under it to change my oil before track day wednesday so could do the re-wiring while under there.

Sideshow: Reason for 4 thermos is that the MA70s come out with 3 thermos STOCK + an engine fan. I've swapped the engine fan for a LARGE Davies Craig DC16 (16inch very heavy duty). I want the extra fans as I want to put an intercooler infront of my radiator and MA70s are notorious for having very bad underbonet ventilation. This is even worse when instead of a thin 7M that alows air to flow around it theres a big FAT 1UZ. Thats why I want these other thermos to work as it was designed. In saying this, its not going through the standard wiring anymore, which is whats causing my problem.

Cool1: The 3 thermo fans I'm trying to get running are the stock CD sized ones on the side of the radiator, and the (also stock) larger chunky fan between radiator and intercooler.

Witzl: I only read it all now (Sunday night) otherwise I would've dropped in and you could have a quick look. I can wait till sunday's mega cruise. Shouldn't need to spend more than 10 mins on it, so won't take up too much of your time.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Sun, 19 October 2003 17:12

just take it to auto electrician

Know any good ones? Razz Razz Just kidding Smile Still need to find a time when you can look at my cruise control.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can u run a normal plastic factory blade fan

i prefer to run these if possible
losing 5 hp is nothing compared to how much better they cool

i have come across where this vl with rb26 in it was running twin thermos

he went back to std clutch fan with a correctly fitted shroud
engine ran much cooler

this engine has over 400 hp at the wheels
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just an aside that may be stating the obvious but may be relevant ... when you wire up the fan between the radiator and intercooler, make sure it is blowing through the radiator and not trying to suck against the others as well as against the air pressure from the moving vehicle - and vice versa for those on the engine side of the radiator) Confused
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you 2 guys are fucked
dont u know its because the battery has too much power
all u need to do is get one of those batteries with the smaller terminals, problem solved

now to save time, that was sarcasm, y dont u both just stop embarrassing yourselves??

personally i cant see it being the earth, if the earth had a high resistance, it would fry the earth wire not the + wire
and it has nothin to do with the size of the earth to the relay, all that does is switch the contacts inside
the earth for the fan should go direct to the chassis or the - terminal

also pete, i'd be running a single fuse and relay for each of them, but if 3 are the factory ones (i think thats what u said) shouldn't they have their own factory wiring/fuses/relays already??
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to make a point

i wired up a car the other day

guy had not tightened earth strap bolt on the gbox all the way dont
bolt was only on 3 threads

while cranking the earth strap got hot and smoke sort of started

when hi amperage gettin used then i would asume this was a bad earth and made the earth wire get hot

this isnt theory or might not be true
but it did happen to me
so a bad earth can cause hot wires when load is hi like when cranking

[Updated on: Sun, 19 October 2003 12:42]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Sun, 19 October 2003 22:41

just to make a point

i wired up a car the other day

guy had not tightened earth strap bolt on the gbox all the way dont
bolt was only on 3 threads

while cranking the earth strap got hot and smoke sort of started

when hi amperage gettin used then i would asume this was a bad earth and made the earth wire get hot

this isnt theory or might not be true
but it did happen to me
so a bad earth can cause hot wires when load is hi like when cranking

It sure can! Normally the end with the loose connection will get hot first and then disapate the heat along the rest of the wiring.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reason why I'm not running the factory wiring is because I'm switching it with a non-factory ECU input.

Yes I'm running the fans the right way! I make sure I check it every time I wire them up.

Sideshow, the DC thermo fan I've got sits within the original MA70 shroud and pumps a lot of air. I have NO problem at all with this fan, it is not the issue here at all.

With the relays being busted, I've swapped the relay with the one from the davies craig fan and it still works fine, so I've eliminated that.

With running 1 fan per relay/wiring. Last time I wired it up I only wired up the medium-sized fan in between the radiator and intercooler spot (no intercooler at the moment), and it still burnt out.

Extra info: There was also wires burnt on the contact to the relay. They were both + and - wires that were burnt black (and some burnt so bad it tore the solder out and fell off the relay). The - wire from the relay to the chassy has never burnt, but I still havn't checked the connection to the chassy.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Sun, 19 October 2003 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, the wires from the two CD sized fans were also black at the relay, so please don't say "Found your problem its the medium size fan, thats whats blowing the wiring for the other two".
AE82Gunner
Regular

August 2002

Re: Burning wires Mon, 20 October 2003 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talking about bad earths, i had a problem on my corolla with one of the earths that was connected onto the engine block above the alternator.

After changing the motor in my AE82 we only connected up 1 earth. the small wire goes from strut tower to engine block ( above alternator ) the car use to be really hard to start, after a few days of heavy driving the wire just burst into flames.. lol's

So yeah, id say it's an earth problem
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Burning wires Mon, 20 October 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok.. anymore bitch fighting in this thread and ill get Danny in here! And you won't like it when he gets involved!

Now please, lets stick to the topic.
If you want to whinge, go to the outhouse threads.
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Burning wires Mon, 20 October 2003 13:54 Go to previous message
Have you tested the two CD fans without the centre one connected yet ? If you can relate which wires get burned to Witzl's diagram it would help us understand what's happening a bit better. Can you say which + and - wires got burned on that diagram with the middle fan ? Also, I presume the CD fans are connected to the relay at the same spot as the middle fan - could their wires have been affected by heat from the middle fan's wire ?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine Coversion for Corona 1g-gte
Next Topic:cracking extractors
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 07:08:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061581134796143 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.