Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 02:50 Go to next message
Starting this thread to get the debate out of my wires thread in the tech section.

My basic theory is very generalised:

If you want to earn more than $35k a year, then you'll need a university degree.

Yes there are exceptions to every rule, but generally the above is true.

Uni degrees are generally more wide spread knowledge (I did a business degree to get an IT job). TAFE is more hands on, more technical, more day to day stuff.
  Send a private message to this user    
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what id say. is that if your going to work for someone else, and you dont have a uni degree, your not likley to earn over 40. if you have a uni degree, you still might not earn over that you but you (depending on profession) have the ability to earn ALOT more,

if you own your own business or have a part of a family business or something like that, then it might not really matter you can still earn alot.

some tradesmen earn quite a fair bit too
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even the people at TAFE agree that a Uni degree is classed as "higher" than a TAFE qualification.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not denying that a tradesman can earn lots of money, this is a fact, my mum's boyfriend is a plasterer and the fact he could afford to purchase his workshop along with his houses and new car means I have somewhere to store my project car Smile

Comparing TAFE to university depends on two very important things. What course you are going to do, and what university you go to. For me, there was no way I was going to go to TAFE to try and begin something like Software Engineering, to really do what I wanted to do it was unlikely to get me there.

Having said that, there are PLENTY of differences in university courses. While UWA over here has a really good name when it comes to arts degrees, their Software Engineering course is crap compared to ours. I've got a mate who transferred to UWA after a year of being at Curtin (because he had more friends there) and he is now regretting it as he doesn't have half the skills or the practical knowledge we have been equipped with.

Basically to answer this question you need to use the age old engineers answer when provided with a technical question..."It depends" Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 13:02

Even the people at TAFE agree that a Uni degree is classed as "higher" than a TAFE qualification.

Thats a dumm comment if I ever read one Rolling Eyes

When it comes to any technical "Trade", Tafe is going to be better than Uni for the fact that you HAVE to be working in the industry you want to study and you HAVE to be able to do the hands on work that is required in the subject!
When you go to Uni you dont have to be working in the industry to complete the course and there is no way near the amount of hands on work to that of the Tafe course.
Also if you do a Uni degree you cannot really call your self a trades man anyway because you haven't done a trade, all you have got is a piece of paper that says you can do theory exams!
Any employer that has actually worked in the industry would always employ a "Trades man" over a person that just has a piece of paper stating he did some theory!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 11:40

all you have got is a piece of paper that says you can do theory exams!

While I agree that I wouldn't call someone from university a tradesman (I would actually call them a professional), that comment shows that you don't have a good grasp of what goes on in a good uni course and highlights my point that uni courses vary heaps.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 October 2003 04:43]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its like comparing a nurse to a doctor
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going to get crucified for that arent i Rolling Eyes

(but just think about it for 2 secs before you go off on it!)
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even if you finish Uni how do you know you will get a job in the
industry and then you have to pay thousands in fee's for the course. Rolling Eyes
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 13:40

ta23 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 13:02

Thats a dumm comment if I ever read one Rolling Eyes

When it comes to any technical "Trade", Tafe is going to be better than Uni for the fact that you HAVE to be working in the industry you want to study and you HAVE to be able to do the hands on work that is required in the subject!
When you go to Uni you dont have to be working in the industry to complete the course and there is no way near the amount of hands on work to that of the Tafe course.
Also if you do a Uni degree you cannot really call your self a trades man anyway because you haven't done a trade, all you have got is a piece of paper that says you can do theory exams!
Any employer that has actually worked in the industry would always employ a "Trades man" over a person that just has a piece of paper stating he did some theory!

That is a dumb comment if I have ever read one Rolling Eyes

Simply because my brother does Building and construction degree at Newcastle Uni, throughout his 4 year course he has to do something like 36 weeks out in Building and Construction firms. If actually working out and within the firm isnt "hands on" I dont know what is.

Also I had a TAFE rep come to our school recently to talk about TAFE course etc. She said if two people went for the same job (one with TAFE and one with Uni degree), and they both had degrees in the same area, the Uni degree would most likely get the job. But she talked about TAFE being good in the way if you cannot get into the Uni course you want TAFE is a good option.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now you've hit a point.

TAFE is for people that don't have the grades to get into University.

(Asking questions, not being nasty):

What sort of trades people are we talking about? If my mate tells me he's a cabinet maker "by trade" doesn't that mean he's finished his apprenticeship, not have done a course at either uni or tafe? I'm pretty sure my mate finished school at year 10 and didn't go to uni or tafe. But he's now a tradesman.

Will he get paid less than a guy that has a tafe certificate, and also done his apprenticeship time? If they're both tradesmen in the same trade?

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I throught this debate was about electronics/electrical engineering Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 14:32

Now you've hit a point.

What sort of trades people are we talking about? If my mate tells me he's a cabinet maker "by trade" doesn't that mean he's finished his apprenticeship, not have done a course at either uni or tafe? I'm pretty sure my mate finished school at year 10 and didn't go to uni or tafe. But he's now a tradesman.

Will he get paid less than a guy that has a tafe certificate, and also done his apprenticeship time? If they're both tradesmen in the same trade?

In order to do an apprenticeship you have to do a tafe course! Yes Tafe is for people that dont have high grades from school, I finished school in grade 7 but I was also still able to go to Uni! My employer sent me to Uni for a few months and then found out that hands on training is not required for electronics! So I was pulled out and sent to Tafe.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uni degrees are there so that somebody can say that a job is done properly and safely and that peoples lives will not be at risk

when, say, a new power line/plant is installed, someone with a Bach of Eng needs to put HIS/HER name against the job and say that it has been done within the Australian/international guidelines, and that nobody from the public is a risk. If anything goes wrong, its them or their company that is at risk. i dont know the head of a company would be happy with a take graduate doing this.

its the same as an engine conversion, any backyard mechanic can do the conversion, but you have to some who can/has joined the mechanical engineers society (i think thats it, i have it written at home) to say that it is safe.
i know this isnt the same scenario, but its close (coz u cant study mechanics at uni)
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 14:51

I throught this debate was about electronics/electrical engineering Rolling Eyes

You kept referring to a TRADE. Is electrical engineering a trade? Do you need to do an apprenticeship to become an Electrical engineer tradesman?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 15:35

You kept referring to a TRADE. Is electrical engineering a trade? Do you need to do an apprenticeship to become an Electrical engineer tradesman?

You do need to an apprenticeship to become an electrical engineering tradesman, however you dont have to do an apprenticeship to be come an electrical engineer!
I'm doing a doctorate to become an Electronics tradesman engineer!
There are various types of engineering courses available, but I choose to do the doctorate but you can also do the bachelor or just the plain engineering.
Hope thats clear?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah kinda.

ok please fill in the blanks/mistakes:

Electrical engineering Tradesperson:
Uni degree (Tafe??)
Apprenticeship
Salary of roughly:<blank>

Electrical Engineer
Uni degree

Electronics tradesman engineer
Uni degree
Doctorate
aprenticeship??
Salary of roughly: <blank>

Point of the debate: <blank>
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 15:23

Uni degrees are there so that somebody can say that a job is done properly and safely and that peoples lives will not be at risk

I disagree, a uni degree is simply a degree, to give yourself a qualification and the know how of a particular job.

So you are saying that someone who does graphic design at Uni only makes sure other Graphic designers do the job properly and safely, and that there are no lives at risk?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 16:33

Yeah kinda.

ok please fill in the blanks/mistakes:

Electrical engineering Tradesperson:
Uni degree (Tafe??)
Apprenticeship

To become a tradesperson you need to do an apprenticeship!
Salary is anyones guess Confused

Quote:

Electrical Engineer
Uni degree

To become an engineer you can do a Uni degree or study at tafe!
Salary would not be as much as a engineering radesperson!

Quote:

Electronics tradesman engineer
Uni degree
Doctorate
aprenticeship??
Salary of roughly: <blank>

This is bassicly the same as the Electrical engineering Tradesperson!

Quote:

Point of the debate: <blank>

[/quote]
If I was getting 100k a year my penis would be bigger than yours??? Razz
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why are you studying all this electrics stuff Cool1, you should just be a comedian Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 16:55

Why are you studying all this electrics stuff Cool1, you should just be a comedian Rolling Eyes

Because when i'm finished my schlong will be bigger Rolling Eyes Confused
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you are not the car you drive

you are not your wallet

you are not your gourmet business brunch

you are not your fucking uni degree

you are not your fucking paypacket

*ahem*

i earn 37000 a year and i have completed TAFE only
i work in info tech and currently work at a major ISP
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 14:49

So you are saying that someone who does graphic design at Uni only makes sure other Graphic designers do the job properly and safely, and that there are no lives at risk?

this debate was mainly over engineering at tafe or uni
not every uni course in general
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 16:23

HKSPete wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 15:35

You do need to an apprenticeship to become an electrical engineering tradesman, however you dont have to do an apprenticeship to be come an electrical engineer!
I'm doing a doctorate to become an Electronics tradesman engineer!
There are various types of engineering courses available, but I choose to do the doctorate but you can also do the bachelor or just the plain engineering.
Hope thats clear?

WHOA!!

I really find it horrible the way that the term, "Engineer" is being used so loosely here, and by TAFE's. To me an engineer is a professional, who is well trained in the academic, social and technical aspects of their field of study.
An engineer to me is NOT someone who has a crapload of technical expertise - they are a technician. Note the derivative of the word.

Lets take the example of myself, studying Telecommunications Engineering at the University of Technology, Sydney... and a friend of mine studying Telecommunications Engineering at TAFE.

We have discussed various aspects of our courses, and it's clear that at TAFE there is more concentration on the technical and real world aspects of the field, whereas at uni we concentrate on ALL aspects of the field - so that any graduate has the ability to work in any aspect of the given field with a level of expertise and experience.

I should also have you note that in order to complete my Bachelor of Engineering, i am required to do a MINIMUM of 46 weeks of FULL TIME work as an engineer split into two parts across my degree. IE i have to get a job, TWICE.

My friend doesn't do any topics such as Engineering for Sustainability, Engineering Communications, Uncertainties and Risks in Engineering (need i go on).... whereas i don't get to do all the indepth fancy prac's, nor play with some of the high end technical equipment etc, unless i chose to as electives etc.

Basically, uni engineering teahces the whole thing, with less focus on the actual technical stuff.
TAFE teaches you nearly everything about the technical stuff, and less of the rest.

well thats in my experience anyway.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 October 2003 07:16]

ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 17:01

ta23 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 16:55

Because when i'm finished my schlong will be bigger Rolling Eyes Confused

I think that is something you are still praying for Laughing
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is my opinion:
One goes to uni to learn, with the final graduation being a celebration of the persons capabilities in a learning environment. Much like TAFE, but uni increases the focus upon broadening ones horizons.

Today for any job in the business/marketing field (my area) you need a uni degree just to get your foot in the door to be considered, let alone the sales experience!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 16:51

Possible.

If you were getting 100k a year you could spend more money on your car. Have you ever looked at a part and thought no thats too expensive, I'll get this one instead.

I'd much prefer a brand new BB turbo than a rebuilt stock one.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my experience and my industry (programmer), a degree is a sign to an employer that the person has put the hard yards in and has their head on straight.
Some large organisations will only employ people with degrees.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't speak for how good a person is going to be at the job or how much he can earn.

Corporate experience is what counts. A degree is handy when you're lacking corporate experience. It gives a potential employer some concrete indication of your ability to perform when there is nothing else to rely on.

That's my experience anyway. I don't have a degree. My first job I got paid close to what my parents were earning and I've held jobs earning 4 times that.

Look at Bill Gates. Does he have a degree?
Einstein?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While I don't classify my uni degree as a particularly 'tradey' one I have finished a Cert IV at TAFE (Website Production 6mo) and am 1/2 way through my B Media; Multimedia at Club Maq. (which is sligtly more difficult than my tafe experience)

My experience at TAFE gave my lots of hands on real world skills. But at uni, one of my lecturers said something rather pertinent. (and I totally paraphrase)

"We COULD teach you all the hands-on skills. How to operate the machinery, write a journal article, whatever, but by the time you finish this degree the technology will have progressed to a point beyond where our training left off. We would be essentially wasting your money on something that is better learnt closer to the time of employment. We will teach the hands-on, but toward the end of the degree. Hands-on skills can be taught to anyone relatively easily, but we are better of teaching you, yes, theory, and the theory behind what you will be doing.

What is focused on then are the social, political, and cultural constraints regarding your area of study. Once you understand the theory behind the hands-on, you will have a better grasp of the why, and also have a better foundation for learning the HOW.

Anyway, something more or less along those lines.

But honestly, do what you want to do. I appreciated and respect both. Most of your mechanics out there or whatever couldn't give a rats about government policy and historical debates or whatever. Other people do find that interesting. whatever...

Though I have some thoughts...

There must be a reason that tafe is so awesomely cheap and uni so darn expensive.

There must be a reason that uni degrees are more socially, 'elite' and if applying for foreign studies, a degree means a heck of a lot more than a diploma. (even if it is a baseless reason)

*whoa this was long! - I will delete some stuff...*
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 17:37

Possible.

If you were getting 100k a year you could spend more money on your car. Have you ever looked at a part and thought no thats too expensive, I'll get this one instead.

I'd much prefer a brand new BB turbo than a rebuilt stock one.

I'm glad you can handle my shitty sense of humor Very Happy
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 15:37

Have you ever looked at a part and thought no thats too expensive, I'll get this one instead.

were u refering to any particular 'part' of his, that may require upgrading/enlarging?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 17:55

HKSPete wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 15:37

Have you ever looked at a part and thought no thats too expensive, I'll get this one instead.

were u refering to any particular 'part' of his, that may require upgrading/enlarging?

Umm, i'm not exactly sure how to take that Confused Rolling Eyes
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 15:56

if you were not sure, then you knew what i meant Shocked
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummmm....
No.... Nevermind.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 18:01

Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 15:56

if you were not sure, then you knew what i meant Shocked

I actually didnt know what you meant and I still dont Confused
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was refering to this quote

Quote:

If I was getting 100k a year my penis would be bigger than yours???

and this quote

Quote:

and saying that you could spend the money enlarging the size of your penis, and hence yes, you penis would be larger if you were earning 100k/year
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 18:13

i was refering to this quote

Quote:

If I was getting 100k a year my penis would be bigger than yours???

and this quote

Quote:

and saying that you could spend the money enlarging the size of your penis, and hence yes, you penis would be larger if you were earning 100k/year

Ahhh I see Laughing I think you are the first person on this forum to ever get my speechless Laughing
I have no come back Confused

[Updated on: Mon, 20 October 2003 08:19]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hold a diploma of info tech in technicall and user support - plus a few other certs in business management - and i sell tools at mitre 10, though i live in the country so unless cows get internet access , and farmer joe decides he needs to modernise his 70 yo farmer techniques - im screwed for a position full time regardless

Whenever i went for an IT job they asked for EXPERIENCE not degrees .. and most jobs that i didnt get i only got passed up by one or two people because they had more EXPERIENCE in IT Support or similar IT type training ..

Pieces of paper dont mean shit unless you have a higher than bachelors - IMHO ..

For jobs like i wanted to do - experience counted ie - have you built PC's before , can you work out Server problems , can you admin for a server etc etc ..

Then again - who wants to listen to morons on the other end of a phone or over the desk who cant use a mouse propely or who accidently spilt their latte on their keyboard ..

Id prefer showing others how to use their hands and get in the guts of IT - then sit at a pc all day Clickclacking a keyboard typing out code.

the money isnt gunna ever be as high - but at least - at the end of the day - I go home - put my feet up - and dont have to worry ..

EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Mon, 20 October 2003 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i hold a diploma of info tech in technicall and user support - plus a few other certs in business management - and i sell tools at mitre 10, though i live in the country so unless cows get internet access , and farmer joe decides he needs to modernise his 70 yo farmer techniques - im screwed for a position full time regardless

nicely said Laughing

i reckon experience is higher than qualifications although it probably comes down to what kind of job your looking for. I recently finished my Diploma in Network Engineering at TAFE and got a job straight after as IT Support/Helpdesk for a motor company.

Its basic entry level crap which im already over (been here 3 months now) but they are so far behind the times Sad

oh well if i can hang on to it for atleast a yr thats good experience that the next level usually looks for.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 21 October 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 16:19

Ahhh I see Laughing I think you are the first person on this forum to ever get my speechless Laughing
I have no come back Confused

just tell me to got earth out my burning wires on my pet sheep and we'll go from there... Laughing

oops... wait., sorry, wrong topic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 21 October 2003 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I promised not to make any trouble in this thread! So I wont Sad
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Tue, 21 October 2003 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 16:24

Whenever i went for an IT job they asked for EXPERIENCE not degrees .. and most jobs that i didnt get i only got passed up by one or two people because they had more EXPERIENCE in IT Support or similar IT type training ..

i will say this tho, while looking through the paper for engineering jobs, a lot of them stated

"Uni grad with 2 years experience, or college grad with 5 years"

Yes, experience DOES count, but not for everything.

and YES, having a piece of paper that cost me over 15 grand, will help me get those first few jobs, but once you have 5-10 years exp under your belt, its open slather
mlaser
Regular

March 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess i'm the exception to the rule. I did a TAFE diploma and i now work in the IT buisness as a Network Engineer, i'd agree with all the guys that said it depends on the diploma/degree your doing. In IT experience and personality can get you further than a degree can, for the job i got i was the only person that applied without a University Degree, yet somehow i got the job. After speaking to my boss i found that alot of Uni boys "expect" a certain wage and most were generally too arrogant thinking that they were a shoe in for the job. Another one of my mates did one of those shitty "spend 10grand with us and we will train you in IT and get you a job" thingo's and now he's earning almost 65k per year.

So it's not what you know it's who you know.
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Mon, 20 October 2003 14:32

Now you've hit a point.

Real nice thing to say...

What about people who can't afford it?

What about people who don't want to go to uni?

mlaser
Regular

March 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think TAFE is a good means of starting ones career. University isn't designed for everyone, I didn't get a good OP, does that mean i'm too dumb to goto uni? hell no, it means im damn lazy and hated school. You can't pidgeon hole someone in saying "only smart people goto uni, dumb people goto TAFE".

If i wanted to do phsyc i would have to goto uni, if i wanted to be a mechanic id goto tafe. It's all different for each person and what they wanted to do.

I know i wouldn't have done well at uni, cause i've never been interested in it and i much prefer to work than waste my time at uni to get a better piece of paper and end up in the same job i'm doing now.

Uni has it's place and TAFE has it's place. I think the bottom line is what someone does with the paper they have earned.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Billy-Mason PI wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 13:03

That is a lame excuse, When studying you are able to get government assistance plus you can pay for the course through HECS (which is a small part of your wage each week, when you enter the workforce). Beside all that you can also have a casual or part time job, can't afford it my arse.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 04:47]

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engineers drive trains..... Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 14:47

That is a lame excuse, When studying you are able to get government assistance plus you can pay for the course through HECS (which is a small part of your wage each week, when you enter the workforce). Beside all that you can also have a casual or part time job, can't afford it my arse.

Weren't you gonna fuck off an not come back??
You haven't been on this forum for five minutes and you are insulting people who have not insulted you and just don't deserve your crap! And then you accuse people of insulting your intelligence(which I doubt you have any), you are the biggest tool on this forum and you deserve all the shit that has been handed to you.
So why don't you just do what you said and promised you were going to do and just fuck off! I can assure you now that no one will miss you.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 14:17

I was going to stay out of this, but this f**king lame statement draws me in. I was lucky enough to only be paying 2.5K a year on HECS, and 5 years later am still paying it off - although I'll be finished this year. You are naive to think that everyone can afford HECS, or University - if I did the same course this year it'd 4.5 or 6K pa, making a very big debt when you leave the workforce - one that is also indexed and will increase every year (indexation has varied from 1.2 to 5% over the past few years). And if you don't walk into the big 100K job you assume you will (and I'll be honest and say most uni's overstate their graduates salary expectations to draw more students to their course), and instead don't find a job straight away or have a shitty new graduate job it'll take lots of time. Now I am paying 6% (HECS max) and it is like having a 6% pay cut.

On top of this, going to Uni is expensive - especially when you are living out of home without much support. TAFE and Uni are both great ways to get educated, and both are aimed at different situations.
You are doing yourself no favours talking absolute rubbish like this - and it doesn't look as though your university education is developing an intelligent, broadminded, EDUCATED person.

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not."
-- Thomas H. Huxley

ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 16:33

You haven't been on this forum for five minutes and you are insulting people who have not insulted you and just don't deserve your crap! And then you accuse people of insulting your intelligence(which I doubt you have any), you are the biggest tool on this forum and you deserve all the shit that has been handed to you.
So why don't you just do what you said and promised you were going to do and just fuck off! I can assure you now that no one will miss you.

For starters I said I would fuck off out of the other thread not this one.

If you look above I have posted other topics on this thread.

I did not insult Billy-Mason PI at all and didnt intend too, I simply said that statement was lame in which it is.

My brothers girlfriend also studys Uni, she has no parent support, lives away from home (about 700kms), but manages to survive off casual empoyment and government assisstance while choosing the option to pay HECS.

As for your comments I believe you and you only should fuck off, I havent started anything or done anything wrong, you need to learn and read what is being said and relise that not everything I say is an insult, you an inconsiderate peice of shit to have said what you did as I simply stated what I thought along with no meaningful insults. Before you go around accusing others of insults just remember back to what you wrote in the now deleted thread.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 12:41]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 22:40

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 16:33

For starters I said I would fuck off out of the other thread not this one.

If you look above I have posted other topics on this thread.

I did not insult Billy-Mason PI at all and didnt intend too, I simply said that statement was lame in which it is.

My brothers girlfriend also studys Uni, she has no parent support, lives away from home (about 700kms), but manages to survive off casual empoyment and government assisstance while choosing the option to pay HECS.

As for your comments I believe you and you only should fuck off, I havent started anything or done anything wrong, you need to learn and read what is being said and relise that not everything I say is an insult, you an inconsiderate peice of shit to have said what you did as I simply stated what I thought along with no meaningful insults. Before you go around accusing others of insults just remember back to what you wrote in the now deleted thread.

Mate your kind have been on this forum before and they did not last, Being the scum you are you will not last either! It beats me why you even waste the bandwidth by coming onto these forums because everything you say is just shit or an insult. But if you must, just keep going with your crap and you will be gone like the rest Very Happy
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey at least its providing entertainment for us, and a post wh0re opportunity for you Cool1
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:10

hey at least its providing entertainment for us, and a post wh0re opportunity for you Cool1

Seriously man the post counter is gone!
But I just dont like people that come on here and the first thing the do is insult other people or try and rubbish their posts!
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4768 Post(s) (9.06 average posts per day)

amazing!
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:03

Mate your kind have been on this forum before and they did not last, Being the scum you are you will not last either! It beats me why you even waste the bandwidth by coming onto these forums because everything you say is just shit or an insult. But if you must, just keep going with your crap and you will be gone like the rest Very Happy

You treat this forum as if you have no life, I simply reply to threads giving my opinion or trying to help out and all I recieve from you is bullshit or some sarcastic lame remark.

Whenever I make a post in a thread where you not around, no one whines and whinges like you they take my thoughts and ideas into consideration instead of blasting out shit like they know everything.

For you, you need to get out once in a while and stop treating this forum as the only thing within your life, I simply made a post stating someones remark was 'lame' and you went crazy.......understand this is only a forum on the internet, no need to say what you said over a small remark, especially when you make remarks that are worse.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:25

You treat this forum as if you have no life, I simply reply to threads giving my opinion or trying to help out and all I recieve from you is bullshit or some sarcastic lame remark.

Whenever I make a post in a thread where you not around, no one whines and whinges like you they take my thoughts and ideas into consideration instead of blasting out shit like they know everything.

For you, you need to get out once in a while and stop treating this forum as the only thing within your life, I simply made a post stating someones remark was 'lame' and you went crazy.......understand this is only a forum on the internet, no need to say what you said over a small remark, especially when you make remarks that are worse.

Maybe your posts wouldnt be so "lame" if you could express your "thoughts" in a way that wasnt insulting and not by saying someone elses throughts were lame!
Or is it just that your english skills dont extend that far?
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:16

But I just dont like people that come on here and the first thing the do is insult other people or try and rubbish their posts!

ha, a hypocrit at his best, perhaps you should recap what you said about me suggesting a bad earth, its still in your signature now, you know that is complete bullshit,the shit some people say and do amazes me.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speakafreaka wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:25

amazing!

You wouldn't be jealous for some reason would you?
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:29

ta23 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:25

Maybe your posts wouldnt be so "lame" if you could express your "thoughts" in a way that wasnt insulting and not by saying someone elses throughts were lame!
Or is it just that your english skills dont extend that far?

You tell me what his fuckin post was all about, it said people cannot afford uni, whereas it is clear as day that 99% of people can if they want to. To me that is lame ok, it is a forum, a forum is where ideas are given, get over it.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: University quals vs TAFE quals Wed, 22 October 2003 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:31

speakafreaka wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 23:25

amazing!

You wouldn't be jealous for some reason would you?

stop talking complete shit
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Who can provide me with the Solid works... read on.
Next Topic:my car Vs a new Triton??????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 13:52:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077710151672363 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.