Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
icon5.gif  How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Thu, 25 July 2002 23:29 Go to next message
Hello all,

Does any one have any idea how to install 6x9 into the back of the celica/supra (SA-63/MA-61), I don't want to mount the speakers wrong and have a holy trim...

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
celica162
Regular

May 2002
Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Fri, 26 July 2002 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude, make up (if not already there) a cover out of mdf. that covers your boot and hinges and lifts up when ur boot lifts up. much like the AE82/92 corolla's and my ST162 celica. then u can mount your speakers in that sweetly and will cover up any valuables you might have lying in the boot anyway.
Heres a pic of what i mean.
http://images.cardomain.com/installs/207000-207999/207119_12_full.jpg

its not mine but you can see how it works Wink

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Fri, 26 July 2002 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally dude, I'd do this.
I really wish you could listen to my stereo.
In my opinion, with an interior as small as ours, you want a nice front stage and something to fill in the low parts of music.
I have two 6" Pioneer 2-way speakers (ones with compression horns) mounted in my doors, one 12" sub in a box, and a Precision Power 2-channel amp running the show. IMO and most people who get in the car, it sounds awesome...how often does someone really get in the back of your car which is what the 6x9's would do. Trust me on this one...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Fri, 26 July 2002 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you really must have some, then do what celica162 has suggested...in a Mk2 Supra its a BIG parcel shelf though.

http://bigkev.ath.cx/pics/supra/backshelf1.jpg

Note the neat plush pile of kevz0r's shelf Smile got rust stains on it now though Sad
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Fri, 26 July 2002 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frank,
i'm about 2 put some 6inch splits in my doors also,
did you have any probs with the electric windows?

did you mount them into the steel square cutout towards the bottom front of the door?

you have any pics?

zzt231- i made a parcel shelf out of mdf with 7x10's on it but the shelf doesn't go all the way to the back. it's already too heavy and if it doesn't go all the way over they dont sound anywhere near as good. Frank has a better solution i reckon.
duckman
Regular

June 2002
Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Fri, 26 July 2002 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont think they're rust stains....probably kevin getting a little too "happy" and staining his own carpet..... Disgusted
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Fri, 26 July 2002 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha, I'm sure Kev will be pleased to see that Smile

SUPRAGTE, I'll have to get a picture of them for you. I got a car stereo place to install them, as they had to cut a bit extra out of the bottom of that hole. They made an MDF mount for them, and covered them in black vinyl to go with the rest of it, I'll borrow my mates camera and take some pics of it.
celica162
Regular

May 2002
Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Fri, 26 July 2002 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea, i would also be interested in those pics Frank.
Cause my Celica has 4" in the dash which i have already replaced wih Pioneer ones, there was no room to mount my 6" in the doors but a build out sounds interesting.

RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Fri, 26 July 2002 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

That's not entirely true frank, It's good to have some treble in the back for the surround effect I didn't think I needed anything either but I put a pair of shit $100 2 way 6 inches in the back and it made a world of difference. I have 5-inch splits in the front and a 12 in the hatch, ran buy a shit schneider amp. Sounds awesome. I my celica there are little bays in the back where the factory speakers so I cut them out and made boards to fit my speakers.

Tim.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Fri, 26 July 2002 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it depends, my sub is being run mono accross the front channels. I then have two inductors as low-pass filters. The sub misses most of the higher stuff which it can't do anyway, but does use its full range meaning you kind of get the full effect if you know what I mean...
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Sat, 27 July 2002 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kewl, lets see some pics!
DRAG'N 4
Regular

May 2002
Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Sat, 27 July 2002 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My celica (RA2Cool used to have a comp. stereo in it (previous owner), but i bought it with most of the stuff left in it (Alpine 6.5" splits in the front, kenwood 6" two-ways in the back, with an updated head-unit), the previous owner just took out the amp and 12" kicker sub out of the boot. Therefore i wanted some bass back in it Wink So I talked to a lot of experts about it, and I learnt the best way to set up your speakers is to look at the max wattage rating of the speaker and pump 60% of that wattage into it. So i bought a 500w max 10" pioneer (vccs) sub-in-box, and a 300w max, 1 channel amp pumping directly into it! I took it back to an expert, and even he was blown away by the precision balance of the bass and treble, and the overwhelming power of it with no distortion whatsoever, the 2-ways in the back give it that little bit more balance.
I hope i have helped you stereo-power-hungry people out there.
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Sat, 27 July 2002 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey,

drag'n 4- who are these 'experts' you have been talking to? what they have told you is absolute bullshit. Those subs are crappy. 500w is bullshit watts. What does it do in RMS? From memory its 75w or 100w.

Same as the amp. I have a $40 supercheap amp at home that says 250w. But RMS it is fuck all.

RMS is what you look for, its the no bullshit term of power when it comes to stereos. So how can you bass the 60% power thing if you are comparing two different loads of bullshit?

You would have been better getting a JBL or Kicker 10" much the same price and shit all over the pioneer. (btw mate just did this went from the pioneer to a JBL 10" huge amount of difference)

Pioneer make some really shit stuff at the bottom end of the market. Same as sony. So overpriced.

please dont tell me you experts are strathfield car radios staff

nathan

DRAG'N 4
Regular

May 2002
Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Sat, 27 July 2002 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take it easy man,
The pioneer sub is not bloody 75 or 100w rms thnkyou, but it is 250w RMS, i found a reading on the amp rms output, which is 200w, so it kicks serious ass. I have to disagree on the slamming of pioneer stuff, but the comment on sony products i do agree with. When it comes to pioneer, it depends on whether you get stuff from the european, USA, or competition range. Mine is from the european range which gives much better response and clarity, or so i rekkon.

But seriously, you need to calm down, it was only a comment.
I think we both need to do more research before spouting of shit. Especially when you are giving other ppls sound systems shit. Your pioneer sub must have been pretty old and shitty to be only 75 or 100w rms. Ofcourse you are going to notice a difference between an old and a new sub.
naten
Regular

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Sat, 27 July 2002 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahaha

where did you buy this sub from? is it free air or sealed? how much you pay? what about the amp?
brand/model of the sub and amp?

i wouldnt. pioneer are so overpriced and there stuff is shit at the bottom end of the scale. top end wise they get a little better but for the price!

why am i calming down? i arent worked up yet Smile
just i get so shitty about stereo shit where people say 'yea but mine does 500w and this 'expert' at strathfield told me to run 300w and it will be awesome'. Not saying your like that but in your first post that is how you came across.

i arent giving other people sound systems shit. the guy who owns it agrees with me. and no it wasnt old it was bought roughly 7 months ago. it runs off a blaupunkt amp 2x60wrms into it. pioneer had no punch, no rumble, no anything really. put the jbl in without changing a thing. bang awesome reponse great range and awesome bass.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Sat, 27 July 2002 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, the sub ain't shit. I have the 12" version of the VCCS sub. Its rated at 300WRMS, same as my amp. They punch out lots of nice bass and for a decent price too!
Also, people underestimate the effect an amp has. My amp isn't THAT new...but the difference is awesome. I've plugged my mates Crossfire 12" into my amp, and the level of clarity and punch it puts into this sub as opposed to his Alpine amp is amazing!

As for the pics, I have to borrow a digital camera from my mate, I'll get onto him this week.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 July 2002 12:52]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Sat, 27 July 2002 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to add one more thing, been thinking about it.
I can only talk from the experience of my 12" Pioneer VCCS versus other 12" subwoofers I have trialled in my car.
I'll agree with whoever said the Pioneer sounds a little different. I've tried a few different subs in my setup, mostly my mates. The Pioneer isn't quite as "punchy" as some of the others BUT it seems to have more of a muscular sound to it. It can take it to all the others in terms of getting low, sheer volume etc. but has a slightly different sound.
It had the edge over a few of my mates subs also in flexibility also.

Thats just my 2c anyway.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
icon2.gif  Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Sun, 28 July 2002 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all for your reply.

I have installed 5x7 Speakers in the back, 5" splits inside the dash and 15" Sub powered by 2 4x channel amps in the back.

All powered by a CD player with 4x pre out...

Cheers
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Sun, 28 July 2002 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its an ma61(not sure) where did you fit the 5" splits in the dash?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Mon, 29 July 2002 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://home.useoz.com/~allanlangford/box.jpg

or you could do that!
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Mon, 29 July 2002 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending on what the 5" speakers are constructed with the subframe around the speaker cone, i bend and cut the edge so i could fit the speaker sideways inside the dash, i did this to the SA63 and the MA61 but the disadvantage is that the speaker if not fitted properly put too much pressure on the air duct above and you will soon see a small hairline crack in the dash from the bonnet latch going up (only in the SA63)only time will tell.

With the 5" i made the special bracket that sort of used the factory holes in the lower part of the dash.

Cheers.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Tue, 30 July 2002 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The previous owner of my car put Alpine 6x9s in the rear passenger area. Sheetmetal needs to be cut to do so. Pics of finished product at www.speedtoys.com/~stefan under interior pics.

Shitty 5.25" speakers were in the doors. I have replaced these with 6.5" Alpine DDDrives. No pics yet. Problem was, previous speakers were very shallow and actually touched the door retaining rod thing (you know what I mean). Had to build some teardrop-shaped 12mm mdf spacers to cover the old hole and position the much deeper bigger new speakers in the doors. Haven't got around to covering them yet, but they sound very good in there.

One of my speakers got a problem and is being fixed at the moment though Sad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Tue, 30 July 2002 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I looked at the prospect of putting the 6x9's in the passenger spot...but the sheet metal looked too...well...structural for me to want to proceed. Razz
randell
Newcomer

July 2002

Re: How do u install 6x9 in Celica/Supra? Tue, 30 July 2002 15:21 Go to previous message
i've got some cheap 2-way sony 6x9's installed in boxes behind the front seats... the boxes were $60 a pair from strathfield, they work really well, if you wanna cram anyone into the back seat you can either take the boxes out or make the wires long enough so the passengers can hold them on their laps, noone has complained to me so far

i can take pics if you're not sure what i'm talking about

i've seen an MA61 supra with 6x9's installed above the storage compartments next to the back seats, although they looked awful. i think there's a fair bit of metal behind the carpeted bits, so they don't fit too well

and to the person who said you don't really need treble in the back, that's what i originally thought... but the 6x9's really do make a difference, paired with 5" alpine splits in the front and 2 12" alpine subs, it sounds pretty damn good !

[Updated on: Tue, 30 July 2002 16:07]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:re: Greddy TDO6 turbo
Next Topic:Is this a good deal?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 17:41:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.1480028629303 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.