Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ra28-451
Regular

October 2003

Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 06:07 Go to next message
my local insurance brokers said i wont be able to get it!! and i find that hard to belive!! does anyone know a company that will do this for me!!!

my car is a RA28 and will have a 1G-GTE!!
  Send a private message to this user    
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shannons would but you will have to wait another year. Dont know about anywhere else.
Ra28-451
Regular

October 2003

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats ok cos im not 18 for 14 months!!! do they have a website or a PH number?
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do a search for famous insurance, i hear their friendly to mods
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.shannons.com.au

Im only 18 and am just going to hang out on 3rd party for the next year. Everything else is way to expensive at the moment. Even a stock as a rock sprinter.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't suggest trying to get comprehensive, they should give you third party though.
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might want to try 3rd party then with the RAA, their prices are quite cheap although their agreed value is pretty poor.

Sprinter is $180 a year for 3rd party, fire and theft but they would only do a $2500 cover if it gets stolen.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about justcars?
they seem to insure anything and everything
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tried Just Car and they were terribly expensive.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what mods, what driving history?

shannons wont touch you yet - but as soon as they'll insure you I recommend them.
famousclassic are good, but if you have an accident history they wont touch you
Ra28-451
Regular

October 2003

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont have any driving experience on the road other than learners!! but im looking for an engine now so when im 18 i can drive it!!

the mods will be a 1G-GTE annd new brakes!! thats it!!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try giving famous a call on 1300 886 029 (they wont do high performance quotes over the net)
but being 18, I dont like your chances - the only place likely to touch you with an engine conversion are justcars (which will be pretty expensive), and tehre's another place you might wanna try, cant remember the name tho. joorsh off these forums may be able to help you.

still, you gotta remember you're an 18 year old male with a high performance car - most insurers wont like to take that chance Smile
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am 18 and have a turbo 76 celica. Third party for me was around the $300 mark, look up 'Just cars insurance' on the net phone them and get a quote. I know others say that they are expensive but rego and insurance is in my name so I cant understand why. My bro also had a 13sec exa turbo and his insurance was as cheap at the age of 19.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man, they want $600 for me

probably since almost all insurance companies hear "supra" and immediately cringe. adding "twin turbo" to that never seems to help Razz
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very true, I had a mate with a N/A 94 supra standard and he was paying $4000 a year on full insurance at 19, a full waste of money.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 03 November 2003 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just insurance are the easiest to get insurance with.. when i went around getting quotes for my 84 soarer with a TT 1jz gte.. 18 with 1 speeding ticket which resulted in a loss of 3 points... They were the ONLY ones who would touch me.. everyone else gave me a "polite" fuck off...
my results were 650 a yr 3rd party covering the cost of a stock one of my car only... not any of the mods or anything Sad
insurance sucks nuts
only thing its good for is if u hit someone else lol
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Tue, 04 November 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just cars insured me for series 4 turbo rx7 import

and i had:

1 write off, 1 loss of lisence, and 3 speeding fines, and i was 18 at the time.

but that was only 3rd party property, like 800 bucks,

still i was happy, they will insure ANYONE, just dont try and get comprehensive
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Tue, 04 November 2003 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice history there... must do wonders for you
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Tue, 04 November 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gunna have a jdm ae86 (lightly modified)
i have no record and am 21 at the moment

whats my chances of comprehensive? with any company?
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Tue, 04 November 2003 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just car insurance are going to do the crown $550 for third party property.

thats including the engine conversion and my 3 big acco's
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Tue, 04 November 2003 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i swear the world hates me lol
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Tue, 04 November 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just cars do me for $500 third party prop. I asked about comp, and they quoted me $4750. For a car that I paid $10k for I was like Shocked
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Tue, 04 November 2003 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Think I can beat that, Just Car wanted ~$3k at the time for a $1500 car. I could just buy two more sprinters per year for what that cost if I crashed it.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Wed, 05 November 2003 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caledwvech wrote on Wed, 05 November 2003 10:11

Just cars do me for $500 third party prop. I asked about comp, and they quoted me $4750. For a car that I paid $10k for I was like Shocked

Thats weird - I have full comprehensive on my 1jz powered Supra from Just Cars and it is $900 a year. Covers all modifications (supposedly). Then again I am over 25, Rating 1, no accidents, and only 1 speed camera fine with no loss of points. Still I think it is expensive, perhaps I'll try Shannons next year....
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Wed, 05 November 2003 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it true that if you are financing the car or loaning the money from the bank u need to have Comp insurance or is that bulls&%t?
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Wed, 05 November 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep that's true. Unless you have a house or another large item they can use for security against your loan. From the banks perspective, they need some form of protection for the investment they are making in you - if you lose/crash/get the car stolen, they have nothing. You have to make the bank/finance company the first interested party on your insurance as well.

So it's not a great idea to borrow money to buy a modified car unless you can also afford the insurance. You hear of people paying big sums to insure their WRX, SS commie etc and they are just throwing the money away in order to drive a flash car.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Wed, 05 November 2003 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends
if you get it as a personal loan, you dont need it
if you're using the car as security on the loan, or financing, they'll require comp.
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Fri, 07 November 2003 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Dear Insurance company,
I have recently lost my license for six months and have changed the engine in my car, on top of that i'm down to about -2 points, is my premium going to rise?"
Ra28-451
Regular

October 2003

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Sat, 08 November 2003 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a quote form just car!! it is $390 for third party and thats with any modifications!!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Sun, 09 November 2003 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remember with thrird party your not covering any of your stuff - just things your car might do - ie run into someone or thru a house or such

if the cars a write off - you get Zilch back for it ..

If you can afford comprensive at least they either repiar or replace your car to a certain value
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 10 November 2003 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know of any other insurance company?
I'm paying $1600/year full comp with Just Cars, but I want to change to a company that'll do agreed value.
Coz there's so few of my car here, they could pick their own price for market value.
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Mon, 10 November 2003 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could try Shannons (must be 19+ though)
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Thu, 13 November 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
famous car insurance i heard its pretty good
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Thu, 13 November 2003 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
My sister works in Nrma Claims Department and tells me that you dont need tell them your real driving history, they never check. Also if your say 21 and had your car on parents name and havnt had a car in your name, you can just say yeah i had insurance on my name for 2 years and they wont check up on that, and youll have cheaper Insurance. Very Happy

StephenT Smile
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Thu, 13 November 2003 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Thu, 13 November 2003 18:11

Hey,
My sister works in Nrma Claims Department and tells me that you dont need tell them your real driving history, they never check. Also if your say 21 and had your car on parents name and havnt had a car in your name, you can just say yeah i had insurance on my name for 2 years and they wont check up on that, and youll have cheaper Insurance. Very Happy

StephenT Smile

They may not check up when you get the insurance but they would find out if you made a big claim, this would void any insurance anyway, so it would be pointless in doing this, if you know what I mean Smile

It would be the same as saying your car is N/A when it is turbo to get full comprehensive, they would most likely check up on your car if you make a claim and if they find out it is turbo they will not pay out your insurance anyway.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Thu, 13 November 2003 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah,
Your right as long as you havnt made a big claim before your alright. Its good having her work in Nrma coz she was looking for a car and she likes 5th Gen Celicas so when we saw one, wrote down the number plate, she went to work the next day and checked out the history of the car if it had an accident before and howmany owners its had also we found out my sisters motorbike had 5 owners.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 November 2003 07:28]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Thu, 13 November 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no
I think he means if you have to make a big claim, then they'll check your history
then they'll void your insurance

and then you're boned.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Thu, 13 November 2003 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Thu, 13 November 2003 18:27

no
I think he means if you have to make a big claim, then they'll check your history
then they'll void your insurance

and then you're boned.

Yes....very true Smile
NVD05X
Regular

June 2003
Re: Modified Car insurance for 18 year old!!! Sun, 16 November 2003 08:10 Go to previous message
dont get me started on insurance...

im getting ripped off big time... im 21 and made a claim for 1100 bucks 3 years ago... thats the only claim i've made.

i now have a 91 sx corolla and get this... i pay $1990 a year premium and the car is covered for $6200 and if i was to make a claim my excess is $1400...

you think that is crap?, that is with a full 60% no claim bonus coz im insured under my granma's name... if it was in my name i would be paying aronud $5600 a year for $6200 coverage.
hahahahahahahahaha as if any one that had a brain would pay that much... thats nrma for ya!

ill be searching for better insurance when the gze goes in.
i mean more coverage...

might try famous and classic, they sound ok...

cheers
dave
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:really cool rally clip (30mb)
Next Topic:any1 interested in doing an engine conversion for me ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 17:17:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061111450195312 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.