Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Suspension for Mark2 corona

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
icon5.gif  Suspension for Mark2 corona Tue, 20 May 2003 08:06 Go to next message
I want to fix the mighty body roll in my corona it Supposedly has double wish bone.
I want to lower it get new springs shocks and whatever else can be made better.
Whats the best brand to go for performance and decent price, and who would be the best company to go to do it all?
I was thinking pedders but from what I've read on hear they're not a crowd favorite. Confused
remember I'm in Perth so they would have to be based in Perth.
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Tue, 20 May 2003 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to a local spring works and get the springs made - it's much cheaper.
A firm road setup:
600 lb/in fronts, installed height 220mm
250 lb/in rears, installed height 170mm
24 mm front sway bar.
Whiteline do a rear sway bar kit but you'll have to get some brackets welded on to the body.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Wed, 21 May 2003 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havent heard of whiteline? would they sell it in perth?
Basically i want to go to a suspension joint and say i want everything in my suspension new or fixed so my car will sit lower and handle a LOT better.

or do u think they'll say heres a suxer yep heres a quote $2000
id tell em where to stick it but anyway have u done anything to the suspension in your mk2's?
Mine went nutz out bush or in the wet it was a sideways machine.
cherps 3rds. Laughing
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Wed, 21 May 2003 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I say was because i've lost my licence (ran out of points)
Just as i got my car running after the rebuild, ive since put some bucket seats in mags - 225 by 16 tyres (plent of traction.
So there will be some guard rubbige when i thrash it so im going to get them pupmed rolled flared so i can drop it as uch as possible.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Wed, 21 May 2003 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
35 days to go Very Happy
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Wed, 05 November 2003 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Corona will be getting brakes and suspension soon - any further thoughts or experiences from anyone that I might consider before buying the above combo?
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Wed, 05 November 2003 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Inventor of the leopard skin merkin! Are you serious about that "600 lb/in fronts" part? Sounds mega stiff even with M/JZ. 600 lb/in is something like +10kg/mm. I guess your not running Boge Oil Premiums Rolling Eyes .

BTW. does anyone know stock spring rates for any (RWD) Toyota models.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Thu, 06 November 2003 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking the same.

In my situation I am planning to retain 14x5.5" wheels and reasonable quality 185/75/14 tyres, so I think this might put a little too much stress on them.

Whaddya reckon?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Thu, 06 November 2003 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK.
Jayem, deadly serious about the spring rate. I still run that setup in my daily driver, although my wife does occasionally complain about peeing blood. It is quite firm for the road and I certainly wouldn't want it any firmer.
In combination with Konis and about 2.5 degrees of negative camber, it would show some gentle understeer at about 140 kph. However, I felt it was a bit too soft for the track, as evidenced in these shots:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Sprints/PIFeb10.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Sprints/PIFeb10a.jpg

A guy I knew who also used to run a Mk2 sedan at sprints about 10 years ago ran 850 lb/in at the front and stock springs at the rear with a 24 mm front and 18 mm rear sway bar. This was his daily driver - we were much younger back then so a bone jarring ride was just fine!

As for the standard spring rates, the MX series runs about 230 for the front and 210 for the rear. RX series is slightly different. I can also give you the std installed heights if you need.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Thu, 06 November 2003 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know much about the technical side of suspension (eg sprinr rate etc) but i do know that the corona deffiently needs a stiffer suspension than standard there is so much body roll as soon as ican afford it i'll be getting all new nolathane bits new shock springs swaybar whatever i can get to raise the performance in the suspension.

and GT you obviously know what the GO with mk2's as your about the only one game enough to take a corner at 140k's in one Laughing
i tried taking a bend in the wet doing 100 with a bald 13 on the rear drivers side and bald 14 on the rest lets just say the 20m lock up marks stayed there for a while Confused Very Happy
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Thu, 06 November 2003 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I still run that setup in my daily driver, although my wife does occasionally complain about peeing blood.

Laughing

Your Corona indeed has some body roll(you should see mine Razz ). Can you blame your tires. I cant really say what profile those tires are.

Yesterday I bought 225lbs/in springs for my front coil-overs because my old springs (140lbs/in) were way too soft IMO. Yet 140lbs/in is stiffer than my jaded stock springs. My TT-132 weights same as 1140kg of feathers. I'm guessing that my stock springs are around 110lbs/in, sounds right? Some-one stated in club4ag forum few years ago that AE-86 stock springs are 1.6kg/mm(~90lbs/in) for front and 1.8kg/mm(~100lbs/in) for rear. I'm just trying to get some ideas...
...I need Konis Crying or Very Sad .
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Fri, 07 November 2003 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have an engine over those 225lb front springs?

I run 200lb fronts in my MR2 which has a rather light front end seeing as there is no engine in there. The ride is firm and not exactly silent but that has a lot more to do with the pillow balls than the springs. This is hte rate I've been running for the last 12 months and I drive the car every day without a single thought about the springs being too stiff.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Suspension for Mark2 corona Fri, 07 November 2003 09:12 Go to previous message
Corona Mk2 has a double wishbone front end - you guys have struts. The spring sits half way along the lower wishbone so in effect there is a leverage action on the spring. It actually acts like a spring half its rate would in a strut, hence the big numbers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE92 levin headlights
Next Topic:UK newbie with 4a-gze corolla
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 09:08:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047049522399902 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.