Toymods » General Car Talk » DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :(

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Sat, 27 July 2002 14:20 Go to next message
Found this site somewhere.. No No No No No No Nope Nope Cry Cry
http://www.tuftufclub.com/fotos/fotorepo.php?welke =76
  Send a private message to this user    
dasqer
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Sat, 27 July 2002 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah we just have speed cameras at the bottom of hills Rolling Eyes

I'd like to see the garbo man pick that up though.

The ozi version could be a koala in a tree with a camera in his bum!!!!!!!

Das...
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Sun, 28 July 2002 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, if I ever see a bin in the road flash at me as I drive past, I'm gonna stop, reverse up & reverse over the thing. A couple times.
Bounty
Regular

May 2002

icon8.gif  Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Sun, 28 July 2002 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skull - Blink You know what Ive seen signs around the glenfield area saying "Speed Cameras in bins" no joke with a picture of a bin with a "flash" coming out of it so to speak. This was quiet a while back that I saw this mite be still around. any one been around that way see it?
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Sun, 28 July 2002 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wierd... Never seen anything like that... Aus might have cameras, but at least there are signs up ahead of them... That new camera at the top of the Spit road is a bitch... It now means that i can't build up speed to kick the back out around the two corners... Dammit!!! That is a mad place to get sideways... Especially in a FWD...
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Sun, 28 July 2002 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently on spit Rd the thing thats senses your speed is under the ground.
Now this sounds like BS to me but my mate swears by it

Any ideas ???
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Sun, 28 July 2002 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woohoo glenfield gets a mention im famous Wink i think you will find it wasnt speed cameras in bins... something to do with cameras busting people dumppping rubish, or maybe putting the wrong things in recycle bins.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Sun, 28 July 2002 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Every speed camera senses your speed via sensors that are placed under the road sufrace... As you are coming up to a speed camera, have a close look at the ground (without crashing Razz ) and look for rectangular cuts in the road surface... U'll see what ur mate is on about...
duckman
Regular

June 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not allowed to hide speed cameras in australia
so if you see a speed camera "hidden" behind a tree or somthing ring up your local cop shop or member of parliment and BITCH for all you are worth
Tank
Regular

June 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

in cairns they have the camera hidding in the sugarcain and then 100 meters down the raod the sign is there
they hide
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
phew i was getting worried there for a minute, i zoom around glenfield often when going to a mates place...
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I saw that I'd pop down to the local council depot, pay them $200 to hire their rubbish truck for an hour then go pick it up and dump the whole lot in the back!!
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehe... Fuck paying $200 to do it though... Just empty it out on a main road and let the semi's run over it... Or just point the bin towards the garden... The easiest way... Although I just thought of it... Hmmm...
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drove down Blaxland road yesterday on my way to the Nasho for a bit of fun. I remebered that they have a camera on there so I slowed down. Lucky I did because I nearly pissed myself laughing, the back of the camera box was open and the rest of it was all messed up from the camera being burnt out. I don't know if this was malicious or if the camera shorted out but it was a highlight of the weekend for me.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehe... Good to hear that they are being destroyed... I would suspect that it was an attack on the camera as the back of the camera box was open... A person probably got done going past it, stopped, came back and burnt the bloody thing...
rdraginrolla
Regular

July 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
correct me if im wrong (cos i probably am) but i thought when a car runs over the sensor in the ground, the sensor triggers the fixed speed camera to calculate the speed of the car, and if the cars speeding, then tells the light pole thingy to flash and take a happy snappy of the offending cars number plate.

i dont know how the sensor could calculate a cars speed.

i though it would work the same as traffic light sensors

i.e the sensor in the ground at traffic lights triggers the lights to green when you stop on them at a intersection.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saw one th other day, a coppa standing on the side of the road, with NO signs, or car, just him, with a portable radar gun and a notepad and pen.

No signs, no car, just him and a tree!!

Bastards, ohhh no we're no revenue raising!
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My brother was telling me in canberra they have redlight cameras which also have speed cameraas attaced, so if you gun it on the orange you get caught speeding
nilezy
Regular

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could easily calculate speed with road imbedded sensors. All you have to do is have two trigger points that time the distance between the first to the last. You could even have three or more for greater accuracy.......

[Updated on: Mon, 29 July 2002 08:08]

Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know about the rest of Australia but Queensland doesn't have any premanent speed cameras. The one's we have are laser beam type ones that can be put anywhere. Tho there is strict rules as to were they can be put. Also they have to have a sign with 50meters of the camera to warn ppl. But they quite often put the sign 50m after the camera when it is too late.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the way Britain is handling it is much better. They had a crisis where there was just SOOO many speed cameras. Recently they passed a law through parliament where the cameras can only be placed in black spots etc. (places where accidents likely to occur) and have to be painted bright colours.

Bounty
Regular

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my sis lives in canberra and she pointed out one of those red light speed cameras, smart buggers eh. you speed up to catch that orange so u get done for speeding and a red light double wallet slap n points No No No
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Mon, 29 July 2002 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaking of speed cameras, and spit bridge in particular, I got done 2 days in a row a couple weeks back (so I got them last week).
First one was south on the eastern distributor, $123 and 1 point, next day one of the cameras on the spit bridge, 180 or so & 3 points. This must have been one of the recons I did for the megacruise. Nope

Oh well, at least I'll get a couple of pics out of it......
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Tue, 30 July 2002 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK ...

the road sensors you see are operating on inductance, and detect only loop current change ... and not on weight/pressure/anything else funky.

As such, I dont believe they can calculate the speed of the vehicle passing overhead. For starters, they would need to know the length of the vehicle.

They cannot reliably determine the length of the vehicle by pulses either, since the inductive sensors rely on some ferromagnetic material moving into their field. This could include anything from rims to chassis rails ... so they cant reliably determine the wheelbase of a vehicle by this method.

Also, different vehicles have different numbers of wheels, so this also rules length determination out.

I do however agree, that it would be possible to trigger another speed sensing device, as they are just that - triggers, for the lights.

my 2 c.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Tue, 30 July 2002 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
nilezy
Regular

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Tue, 30 July 2002 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would you need to know the length of a vehicle??? and why would you need to use pressure???? and you can use inductance loops, if you have two or more loops in series, so the time between triggers is used to calculate speed. I said nothing about triggering the devices with wheels. Only road counter used to use pressure to count the number of vehicles passing one point, and even thats averaged.....................
If a semi with three trailers is traveling over the loops, which would be longer than the distance over the loops, then it doesn't matter, because the front of the semi started the first trigger, and its continuous body of metal, which wouldn't trigger the first sensor after each trailer.

I mean its no use calculating speed, if you don't know who is travelling over the loops to give them a fine is it?? So you still need a camera to take the photo of the cars number plate................
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Tue, 30 July 2002 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Mon, 29 July 2002 3:09 PM

My brother was telling me in canberra they have redlight cameras which also have speed cameraas attaced, so if you gun it on the orange you get caught speeding

Yes your right. I was in Canberra last Friday and Saturday and through the main street. Commonwealth Ave etc. most intersections have a combination of a Red light Camera as well as a Speed Camera. So i guess beating the Red is out of the question. I made sure i stopped on orange light and kept below the speed limit. Its rediculious. On my numerous journeys from Sydney to Canberra 3 times in 2 days, i encountered a couple undercover police cars, a motor bike policeman, a couple highway patrol units which had all pulled over someone. Among these were ones which positioned themselves "hid" between the strubs in the centre of the highway.
Lucky i didnt get booked. Nod
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Tue, 30 July 2002 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The pressure strips/hoses across the road are just used to as a counter device. Its in no way measures your vehicles speed/velocity. Uses air pressure principle to trigger the counter device. Stand next to one of the boxes one day and hear it when a car passes over them. Clicks after the car passes over.

The way traffic lights work. How they sense your car is waiting at the light to go green or vice versa. There are about 2-4 rectangular boxes as you approach the traffic lights about 3 meters before. I think they run a magnetic field which works like a circuit. So when your car or motor bike breaks that magnetic field it initiates the traffic light circuit sequence.

Some speed cameras work on similar principles of sensors in the road.

HTH
Nod Rolling Nod
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Tue, 30 July 2002 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nilez, I was replying to rdraginrolla's well thought out comments, not yours ya wanka. Eye Spin

rdraginrolla said:
> i dont know how the sensor could calculate a cars speed.
> i though it would work the same as traffic light sensors

however ... you say

> Why would you need to know the length of a vehicle???

with only one sensor, you dont have a distance otherwise ... remember speed is distance / time?

> and why would you need to use pressure????

you dont need to, did i say that you needed to?

> and you can use inductance loops,

uh huh, perhaps you misread my post, this is what i said ... remember?

Certainly one could use two (or more) of the _air_ tube sensors, like they do in counters, to measure speed. And Im sure they do somewhere for something ... since you then have a distance AND the sensor is measuring _wheels only_

but with an inductive sensor, they are only really accurate to detect _change_ in loop current (esp the crude road devices - imagine the shit they have to put up with). And as such, they dont detect wheels/other car parts etc. So they dont know when a car or part of a car goes over them

It would be very difficult to quantise the readings to get an idea of what was going on overhead too ... as you cant calibrate it to do this, because every vehicle is different. A truck carrying iron ore has a much different signature to a plastic-fantastic suzuki swift for example. However, both register a _change_ in loop current, which is all that is needed to detect the vehicle and switch the lights.

But I agree with what was later said ... If you had _two_ a good distance apart, then it would be possible, however, there is usually only one per lane, which is what we are referring to here...

> So you still need a camera to take the photo of the cars number plate................

precisely, the most reliable (and cheap i might add) method for determining speed is still optically. And, as I said before, the inductive road sensors could only be used reliably to trigger such a device.

So, dont be worried about going too fast over inductive road sensors (at the lights etc)... be worried about the optical device they may trigger. Razz

comprehend? Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Tue, 30 July 2002 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MaNGeW wrote on Tue, 30 July 2002 1:03 PM

I think they run a magnetic field which works like a circuit. So when your car or motor bike breaks that magnetic field it initiates the traffic light circuit sequence.

It uses inductance. When a large metallic object moves nearby, it changes the flux in the coils.

As for the other argument... Read here:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/frames/safety/c_f.htm?/f rames/safety/c152&/safety/c1525_c.htm&How+ do+Fixed+Digital+Speed+Cameras+Work?&5

To quote:
Quote:

The fixed speed cameras detect the speed of vehicles by using piezo electronic detectors embedded into the road surface. These piezo detectors deflect slightly when a vehicle is driven over the detectors, which then triggers an electronic device that accurately measures the speed of the vehicle. If the speed of the vehicle exceeds the legal limit then a digital picture is taken of the offending vehicle.
nilezy
Regular

May 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Tue, 30 July 2002 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whatever...................why didn't you direct it at him then
Julz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

POLICE NOW TARGETING YOUR WALLETS Tue, 30 July 2002 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know, in the CBD, they got overhead cameras to bust cars travelling in bus lanes. How fucked is that?
Tank
Regular

June 2002

Re: POLICE NOW TARGETING YOUR WALLETS Tue, 30 July 2002 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quite lucky up here in ciarns there is like 3 red light camera's 0 perminate speed camera's but 2 mobile ones. BUT we have a fuck load of man on the side of raod with radar guns on the weekend makes weekend cruzing pretty boring
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Wed, 31 July 2002 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The hours of the Bus Lanes aren't too bad anyway... I only go into the city of a night and you are allowed to go in them at that time... I've never been busted... On Saturday nights, George St is always bumper to bumper... I just go up the bus lane and have never been busted...
christodav
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Sat, 03 August 2002 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am amazed you dudes up north get it so easy! We down here in Victoria have to keep our eyes pealed all the time. No warning signs here. Just mobile speed cameras that park on the side of the road anywhere they like and flash away to their heart content.
My mate got booked by a speed camera a couple of weeks ago doing 64 Km/h in a 60 zone! Pretty much the same device as in the pictures but the unit is hidden in the car and usually the flash is sitting a couple of metres in front on the ground, although now the flash is often attached to the front of the vehicle, on the bumper or bullbar. Also interesting is that the cars that are used are usually Rav4's or Camry's with 'illegaly' dark tinted windows.No mercy.....
We also have red light cameras too and also fixed cameras on some major city freeways and handheld laser and radar guns and moving mobile laser that can get you when passing you the opposite way.

Chris.
ytri
Regular

June 2002
Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Wed, 21 August 2002 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does any one know what country those bins are from?? I just got an email at work with more pictures of these bins, but with what looks like Vic police standing with one. I know the ones on that site arent in Australia but does anyone know if they have them here too?
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: DAMN ... IT WOULD SUCK IF OZ HAD THESE :( Wed, 21 August 2002 06:38 Go to previous message
This months Hot4s has an article on speed cameras and how they work they have also got some links on the net with more info.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Handheld UHF's for sale to members
Next Topic:More Media Jiberish
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 01:25:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071041584014893 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.