Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

your thoughts on the 8250 Fri, 26 July 2002 11:56 Go to next message
alright its time for a new phone and i was planning on getting a 8250
i noticed a lot of use guys had them at the mega cruise, what are you thoughts on these phones ie pat experiences etc.

they have had to of fixed the problem they had with the 8210's!!!!!
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Fri, 26 July 2002 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy an Ericsson and save yourself any hassle!

The words of a experienced repairer!
Singlecam
Regular

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sat, 27 July 2002 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 8250 is an awesome phone. I've used mine in half a dozen countries on different networks and never had a problem. Very Happy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sat, 27 July 2002 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy a 6310 or wait for the 7210. Practical-sized phones with shitloads of features.

Those tiny little toy phones are a waste of money.
wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sat, 27 July 2002 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't buy Eriksons.... they suck

The 8250 is pretty good. It is basically a 8210 but with the bugs ironed out of it and a blue screen. My wife has one. Somewhat low on features but who surfs the net on their mobiles anyway.

I just got a 6510 from Hong Kong. It is an AWESOME phone. Like the 8310 but without the lairy colours. I only paid A$500 for it, so I am very happy.

I think you can't go too wrong with Nokias.

Hope this helps

Rob
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sun, 28 July 2002 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your nick says it all! Nokia's are just toys!
Nokia's have the highest amount of spurious radiation than any other mobile on the market!
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sun, 28 July 2002 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find as far as user friendly interface is concern, Nokia has the upper hand. I dunno about the radiation thing but I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know why Nokia is the most popular choice as there are other brands like Samsung, Panasonic, Alcatel that make high quality phones that any Nokia and Ericsson can produce.

I've got a Sony CMD-J70 and I got it for ~A$250 (HK$1070) outright in HK which is cheaper than any bottom end Nokia, Ericsson etc. At least it doesn't sound like MIDI buzzers ringing but actual speaker with real sounds.

http://212.213.255.72/keepthis/bigpic/soj70.gif
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sun, 28 July 2002 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to market research the Nokia sells so well because of all the little kiddie toy features!
Just to make things clear, the high spurious radiation will only affect people that have long sessions on the phone! Like myself I can spend up to 3hrs at a time talking on the phone for work reasons!
I just amagine the the amount of people thinking "but I use a portable hands free kit". Well i'm sorry to say that these make the whole situation worse!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sun, 28 July 2002 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I've heard, the hands free kits only give more radiation if they're wound around the antenna. The media were quick to point out certain outcomes of that study, but were less concerned about the finer details...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sun, 28 July 2002 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The details are: The very fine coper wires in the hands free leads are the perfect size to resonate the gsm frequencies!
Now when the RF has been resonated up the lead it gets to the speaker/ear bud! This is the bad part! A speaker is made of copper wire wound around a magnet! A coil of copper wire is a perfect antenna, in turn this will resonate a bunch of RF directly into your eat drum!
Max, winding the hands free lead around the phones antenna will make things alot worse! It wont matter where the lead is it will still resonate the RF!
You will probly have noticed this in you car! When your phone changes cells or you get a phone call, your stereo will make a bunch of buzzing nosies! I'm sure everyone know this sound, this is the stereo picking up the RF! A very good example of how bad GSM phones are! This is also why you get told to turn off your phone in a hospital!
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sun, 28 July 2002 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 28 July 2002 6:31 PM

According to market research the Nokia sells so well because of all the little kiddie toy features!

You should see the fiddly features on mine. Smile I bet any low end Nokia couldn't hold 500 phone no. on their list. 3 phone no. & 2 notes per entry. I also got speaker phone so I could get a group in a room and have a sorta discussion.

I'm not trying to upsell my phone but to see what else the others have would make you wonder why you'd get a phone that every Tom, Dick and Harry has got.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sun, 28 July 2002 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Huh? I have heard of this stupid speaker phone thing! But why the hell would you want such a dumb feature on a mobile phone! And why the hell would brag about having such a useless thing! This has got to be the second dummest thing ever! The first being an ashtray on a motorbike!
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sun, 28 July 2002 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe if you want a group in the room to hear and talk back to the person on the other line. Of course you wouldn't use it in a public place but beats having an earpiece talking for 3 hrs when I could be walking a bit further away from the phone doing something else at the same time.

FYI, that phone is a joint thing with Ericsson and Sony but Sony took their name on it.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6x10 Nokias hold 500 contacts. Each contact can have 5 numbers and 3 text fields (email, address, notes).
7x10 Nokias hold 1000 of these things.

They both sync with Outlook so all your contacts, your calendar, and your task list can be stored on your phone.
Actually, you can do everything on the phone via the computer when it's hooked up.
And they have IR which means they also interface with Palms.

My previous phone was a 7110 and my current phone is a 6310 ('coz I was too impatient to wait for the 7210) and I don't think I can go back to a phone that didn't have these features.

Cool1, since you're talking about radiation, I'm sure you can think of a really good reason to use a phone as a speaker phone... It's a pretty nifty feature IMHO, Sony and I think Panasonic have it.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SmellyTofu: Sounds sweet. I would get one but already got a 8210. Hhhhmmm speaker phone on a mobile = prank calls. Hehehehe
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But why would you use a mobile phone when you dont have to?
I mean if you are in a board room and you want to have a confrance call, would'nt you just use a normal speaker phone?

I use my mobile phone as little as I can! I only really use it for work when i'm up a mountain working on a radio site!
ytri
Regular

June 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 7110 was an awesome phone. Mine finally gave up, after being dropped way too many times, and being used for on average about 4-6 hours a day (used to have a long distance girlfriend). Ended up with an 8310 which is good too but not as good as the 7110 i reckon. Wish i waited for the 7650 though, that looks nice!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a phone with lots of features, check this out!!!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/785418.asp?cp1=1
rdraginrolla
Regular

July 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 8250 and its a cool phone cos its heaps light, you have it in your pocket and sometimes think you lost it cos its so light. the face scrathes easily, so you may need to buy a brand spanking new one after about 6 months.

the only bad hehehe (or good thing Laughing ) is that because of the blue light, if your driving, i get paranoid about taking a call because of the bright blue light shining near my head.

SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1,

Each to their own. I think $250 outright is a damn good price for all the features of my old 6150 + more.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont get me wrong! I was'nt trying to tell anyone what to buy!
I was just stating the facts and my opinion!
nilezy
Regular

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ericsson are the worst phone for realiability!!! Geez i can't even begin to count how many of the t series phone have been sent back to the repair centres........ I have not known a single person that has a t28s that has been able to use the phone, or have it functioning for longer than a few weeks!!!

The only Ericsson that i have had success with was an old GA628!!

Every Nokia that I've had or serviced for someone I know (3810, 5110, 3210, 3310, 3330, 8210, 8250, 9110) has not had problems as far as the phone itself failing for no reason, except for the 8210, which two of the phones I know of have had there screens replaced. Every other thing I've had to fix on the phones, has been due to the Owner being neglegent, ie Powerade though the phone, and telling me about it two weeks later!!!
The phone had some serious issues. The other one was from me dropping the phone on the beach as the tide came in, found it, still on, turned it off, stripped the phone down and cleaned the salt water out, and its worked, and is still working today, with no problems what so ever!!! And this is one of the early 5110 that came out!!

The Nokia Phones are so much easy to operate than the Ericsson, the whole point that Nokia made when they released the navikey layout menu, not to mention, they have the easiest screens to read (not including the new phones, like the 8210 and 8250, which i think are two small to have proper functionality.

As for the radiation......... I personally think its a load of crap, the power output of your phone wil never match the radiation level requirements that provoke cancer, unless you are exposed to this low level for more than 30 years continous!!! Hell Unleaded fuels are so highly cancer provoking, and you don't see signs around fuel bowsers saying "Unleaded fuels cause cancer, don't breath, or come in contact with it!!!"
Anyway bluetooth will eliminate the need for the phone to be anywhere near your head............

Nilezy

[Updated on: Mon, 29 July 2002 08:57]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smellytofu, I've got the CMD-J26, kinda looks like that but with the antenna. They so kick arse over anything I've seen over here. I bought my mates old phone for $200 because he got his parents to get him a new one when his. The ring tones and sounds are so much better.

The only gripe I've had about it, is that they don't work as well as some of the other mobiles in terms of outright reception. They work perfectly in the metro area, but don't work as well as my friends phones or even my old Nokia 6110 once you get out.

The speaker phone is great, saves me having to buy a kit for when I've driving. Needs to be a tad louder, might just be my car. I couldn't live without the jog-dial too! Razz
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This thread is huge...

get a Samsung n620 - reallly cool phone - I have one !!

Its the one with polyphonic ring tones ! Sounds like a gameboy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 29 July 2002 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nilezy wrote on Mon, 29 July 2002 6:54 PM

Anyway bluetooth will eliminate the need for the phone to be anywhere near your head............

Err... Apart from the 2GHz signal used to transmit to the headset.... Wink

Did you know that in a train carriage with 10 people using their mobiles, you all get exposed to radiation levels exceeding EULA regulations...

Radiation is a part of our lives these days, you can't escape it.
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Tue, 30 July 2002 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 28 July 2002 7:41 PM

The You will probly have noticed this in you car! When your phone changes cells or you get a phone call, your stereo will make a bunch of buzzing nosies! I'm sure everyone know this sound, this is the stereo picking up the RF! A very good example of how bad GSM phones are! This is also why you get told to turn off your phone in a hospital!

Yeah that one thing that pisses me off at work. People who do not turn off their mobile phones in Hospitals, even though there are signs indicating to do so. I work in the High Dependency Unit and patients are hooked up to electro-cardiac, pulse oximetry monitors etc. Last thing i need is interferences of noises etc. I think its plan rude. Another thing that bugs me is people who do not observe visiting hours.
Thanks for listening.
Needed to vent this off my chest Wink
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Tue, 30 July 2002 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm so yeh,
does anyone have a 8210 (with replaced screen)or 8250 to sell me?
or know a deal to get one brand new?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Tue, 30 July 2002 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cheapest places I found for mobiles was:

Arrow Small Vodafone shop in Parra, opposite the Westfields main entrance.
Arrow Tiny little stall in a dark alley in Cabra...

Don't know their names or addresses though. Sad
wannatoy
Regular

July 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Tue, 30 July 2002 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey nark,

if you are a fan of the 7110, then get a 6510

they basically have the same features but the 6510 is in a smaller package (sorta like the size of the 8310)

my bro-in-law, loved his 7110 and he is absolutely stoked about his new 6510....

check it out

Rob
nilezy
Regular

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Tue, 30 July 2002 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bluetooths transmission levels are not even 1/10th the level of a mobile phone transmission! so I don't think your going to fry anything...............

Nilezy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Tue, 30 July 2002 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wannatoy, I don't understand why you would want a smaller phone. It moves the mic further away from your mouth.

I don't like flip phones either. The biggest turnoffs about the 7110 were the flip and the Naviroller. I learned to appreciate the Naviroller, but the flip gave me no end of trouble once it started breaking down.

I'm quite happy with the 6310. Now if only the Bluetooth headset didn't cost more than the farken phone!! Disgusted
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Wed, 31 July 2002 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 30 July 2002 2:05 PM

Arrow Small Vodafone shop in Parra, opposite the Westfields main entrance.
Arrow Tiny little stall in a dark alley in Cabra...

Don't know their names or addresses though. Sad

oooooh.... in a dark alley eh? wouldnt be blackmarket or something Rolling hehe
nah i have to take a look at both these places.... where bouts in cab?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Wed, 31 July 2002 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know the multi storey car park?
Directly connected to it is an alley, there's a crossing that leads you right to it.
Two shops in is the mobile phone stall. Not a black market thing as far as I can see.

Are my directions making sense?

Check the shop in Parra first, 'coz I found them cheaper.
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Wed, 31 July 2002 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep i think i know the one..
sorta near the BKK shops?
anyways i'll try both
Thanks Max Wink
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Wed, 31 July 2002 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, not near BKK. It's up the top of John Street. The second last alley. The alley that's directly connected to the multistorey.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Sun, 04 August 2002 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nilezy wrote on Mon, 29 July 2002 6:54 PM

As for the radiation......... I personally think its a load of crap, the power output of your phone wil never match the radiation level requirements that provoke cancer, unless you are exposed to this low level for more than 30 years continous!!! Nilezy

I beg to differ. My old 5110 pumped out HEAPS of RF. My ear got warm in less than 5 minutes. Basically a portable mircowave oven to point at your ear. My Motorola v3688+ isn't quite as easy to use as the Nokias, and has a few weird anomolies in how the menu works, but is still very small to cary yet a useable size when opened (a flip phone). And it puts out somehting like 1/6th of the RF that the 5110 did.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 05 August 2002 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MaNGeW i dont know why you would want a 8210 for? but my mate has one he wants to sell
he is sending it back to nokia to get the screen replaced
when it comes back he wants to sell it
let me know if you are interested??
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 05 August 2002 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recenty got the 6310i(triband) and the nokia bluetooth headset

i dont press numbers anymore, all done by holding the button on the headset and saying the name of the person you want

and it calls them

no wires
no radiation

brilliant
and the phone never leaves my pocket, no powerade, no dropping it on the beach Wink

but i do look like a bit of a nerd with my headset on hah oh well
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: your thoughts on the 8250 Mon, 05 August 2002 23:57 Go to previous message
Damn I'm jealous!!!!

How much did the headset cost?!

I really want one, but the fact that it costs more than the phone is a pretty major turn off.... Cry
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Buying a Rolla - what 2 look 4?
Next Topic:Meet My New Car.....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 00:57:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080091953277588 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.