Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 00:26 Go to next message
I've already got a remote oil filter setup on my car. Its using a bracket that the filter screws into and it has two hoses plugged into it that go to the engine's plate. It works great, but I want to add a cooler for summer.

I've also got the stock MA70 oil cooler sitting in my garage.

Can I hook this cooler up? How?

I paid a shitload for these hoses from Pirtek ($300) and don't feel like scrapping them for another set willy-nilly.

I remember hearing KingMick from these forums talk about a filter plate with 4 hoses in it. Does anyone know where I can get one? (I'm asking kingmick via PM too)

The oil cooler's lines are metal, but I remember they only had rubber hoses connecting it to the engine. Can I use those rubber hoses (like the powersteering lines) or do I need to spend heaps at Pirtek again?
  Send a private message to this user    
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a remote mount setup similar to yours (although not on the car) and the filter plate has 4 fittings but you blank off two depending on which direction you are mounting it in. I'm also going to put my ma70 cooler on it and was planning to simply connect it from the filter out and then back into the block.
You can also buy a thermostat that will plumb into this line and only open the cooler lines at a certain temp.
You should be able to use rubber lines as long as they are rated for the temp and pressure you require.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page14.html

Maybe I plum one of these in and run the cooler off the thermostat. Will have to get some lines made to connect it up.

Other thing is the MA70 cooler has thin lines(1/4 inch), the lines to the filter are huge (1/2 inch). Might have to get a connector to make it smaller to go through the cooler.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is what I meant about 4 lines.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/images/1791.gif
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's the same as mine Smile It's so you can mount it with the oil lines on one side or the other (depending on your engine bay configuration).
I hope to put mine on soon - it's a real PITA to change the oil-filter on the 1j!!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno if this is going to be of help but here goes anyway :

http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/ta22019.jpg

thats my engine bay. i run a std z9 type remote oil filter and a cooler - all the hose fittings are speedflow and the hose is all pushlock stuff.

its the speedflow fittings you'll need - have a chat with T on these forums (meridian motorsport) they supply these. thats where i got all my gear from.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think using the filter plate with 4 fittings is a good idea. That would mean the oil coming out of the engine will either be filtered OR cooled, correct? What you want is for your oil to be filtered AND cooled!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, Yeah I thought the same thing.

I think kingmick was using it for a pressure guage, which would work I suppose. I still need a pressure guage.

Grega, I'll have a chat with Toby. Very good pic with the blue lines.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you already have the remote filter you can just change over to one of the 4 line setups or fit a squash plate in the remote this gives you the 2 lines for the oil cooler and will be a heap cheaper than the other setups

Dale
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you elaborate?

Whats a squash plate? I can't find it on google.

How do I change it over to a 4 line setup?? Have you got a pic of a 4 line setup?
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the plate goes between the oil filter and oil filter mount, it has 2 hoses coming off it that go to your oil cooler, thats it nothing else needs to be changed,

Dale
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaking of sandwhich plates, and remote setups, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to buy a sandwhich plate for my 1JZ-GTE so I can fit an oil cooler. However, I do not need a remote oil filter kit with it. I am trying to find them seperate.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grega - that's looking awesome!
how long till it's back on the road?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega, thats looking fine!!!!!!!! the engine look slike it's almost sitting on the ground Wink so low!!
Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega,
That is a great looking job. Can you tell me what radiator arrangement you have place ? I don't see it sticking up above the top support panel. Remote header tank ? Cap on an elbow from the top tank ?
Cheers,
Mitch.
Perth West Aust.
(Classic-Celica)
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot that previous rubbish - I'm blind as well as stark raving mad lunatic idiot......
Doh.
Mitch.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not just use the remote filter base that you have, and run the cooler in series??

IE: you can either run from the engine to the cooler, then through the filter, or the other way around, through the filter first. If its a second hand cooler, then i'd definately prefer to have the cooler first, then any fine particles that you cant flush out will still be caught by the filter afterwards.

Make sure that the cooler you use is rated to withstand FULL oil system pressure & flow, not a bypass type that only circulates the excess oil from the pressure relief valve, which dont seem to cope so well (I lost 15psi oil pressure running all of the engine's oil through a cooler from a 3TGTE on my 4AG).

Cheers
Phil
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Mon, 17 November 2003 19:01

Why not just use the remote filter base that you have, and run the cooler in series??

IE: you can either run from the engine to the cooler, then through the filter, or the other way around, through the filter first. If its a second hand cooler, then i'd definately prefer to have the cooler first, then any fine particles that you cant flush out will still be caught by the filter afterwards.

Cheers
Phil

i was thinking the same thing, but the only problem is that the engine may be unprotected till it builds up pressure for a few secs.

but you may be able to use an accumulator system
http://store.summitracing.com/product.asp?d=12& ;s=322&p=33&searchtype=ecat

go to http://www.summitracing.com and choose oiling systems and u have a big range
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to put a coolor on and not a remote filter you just need to fit a sandwitch plate between the block and oil filter, then run the lines to the the cooler,

i can supply you with this stuff if you like,

Dale
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Mon, 17 November 2003 19:31

Wouldn't you rather filter the oil while it's hot and lower in viscosity, thus improving flow-rate through the filter, than cooler and thicker once past thru the cooler? I'm planning on doing this remoute mount filter and cooler and would be interested in the pro's and con's of where to place the cooler.

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Mon, 17 November 2003 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Mon, 17 November 2003 20:01

I was thinking of doing that, but that means making up new lines. As I paid $300 for these lines I'm not in a rush for new ones. Also the lines I've got are 2 lines less than a foot long. $150 each is damn expensive.

I might try and find a way to get the new lines attached to the old ones. They should all screw in together.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Tue, 18 November 2003 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete... if you can manage it, go and visit the boys at Motorsport Connections in Seven Hills - they are the NSW speedflow supplier, and also have a crudload of oil cooler stuff incl lines.

I am currently also in talks with them to get them as a discount offering sponsor for financial Toymods members (ie you)
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Remote oil filter with cooler Tue, 18 November 2003 00:13 Go to previous message
sorry for the thread hijack not my intention

draven - soon on the road dude.

mitch - tis ok - std ta22 radiator - just with 3 cores. outlet/inlet moved to the opposite side.

more info on my conversion in the tech section under my conversion progress.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Broken 4AGZE pistons part 3, side by side view of cross sections
Next Topic:KONI ON MR2
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 17:32:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077040195465088 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.