Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

4a dizzy question Tue, 18 November 2003 12:44 Go to next message
guys my mates 4ac is playing up, its in a ae82 seca it, coughs and farts everytime under load, sometime worse than others, it dont like to rev, his mechanic wreckons the distributer is screwed, it struggles to go up hill from a take off pace

what do u wreckon, im confident its either plugs, leads or dizzy,

some 4acs came with electronic dizzy same with the points, (am i correct?)which came with which if his is points what do i have to do to convert it to electronic

cheers in advance

craig
  Send a private message to this user    
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 4a dizzy question Tue, 18 November 2003 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 4a-c played up the other day unfortunately; was going up hill and about to change at 4500rpm when the revs started to drop. Pumped it a few times and nothing, then the problem went away.

Did it again and this time I caught sight out of the rear view mirror, there was the thickest white smoke in a huge cloud. Every time the revs droped the cloud would shoot out and the revs would then go back to normal. So thick you couldnt see anything through it. Did it about 6 times in a row before I pulled over and let it idle. Didnt do it on the way home as I wasnt going to drive it again.

Was coming home yesterday, was doing about 60 when it did it again but the revs kept dropping and it just stalled at 60. Rolled up to the red light and it took at least 15secs of ignition to kick over.

Getting it checked over tomorrow.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 4a dizzy question Tue, 18 November 2003 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget the carby too! I put an AE82 electronic dizzy into my AE86, simply wired it up correctly and never worried about points again!
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4a dizzy question Tue, 18 November 2003 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure it aint fuel, if ya get in the car you can feel it, like its got hick ups
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4a dizzy question Tue, 18 November 2003 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mums AE82 has a carby 4AC with elec dizzy. the igniter is on the side of the dizzy. when they die, the car can randomly stall or be hard to start, usually when hot but also when cold. eventually it won't start at all...

replaced module, all good. picked up a reco'd elec dizzy from wreckers in campbelltown for $70 Very Happy

oh, in her old dizzy, the advance weight posts were so worn, the weights were hitting the dizzy housing! timing was all over the place..

the farting could be varying timing, try putting a light on it and seeing if it moves around a lot.

could also be coil going... occasionally missing sparks etc...

if you get a dizzy from the wreckers, check that the advance weights are ok (wiggle the rotor??), look for one with strong reluctor (old ones you can't really feel when you spin them, roco'd/new ones, you can feel the magnetic force as the metal bits pass each other...)
good luck.
Cya, Stewart
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4a dizzy question Tue, 18 November 2003 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure it starts fine,
yeah ill check the timming aswell
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4a dizzy question Tue, 18 November 2003 20:28 Go to previous message
im pretty sure all FWD 4a-c's had the electronic dizzy's, and the RWD ones were points.

I would definitely check the coil as well as the leads. REmember you should be reading approx 3K ohm per foot of silicon suppressed lead (but up to 10K is ok).... i had a similar problem with an old pulsar and it turned out being a busted lead.

Also check/replace coil.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Haltech - 1JZ Oxygen Sensor
Next Topic:Corona Won't Start
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 14:20:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044431686401367 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.