Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
thermo fans Wed, 26 November 2003 13:36 Go to next message
how effective are thermo fans when used instead of the factory belt fan?
i put 2 12 inch's on my ga70 only to find that on my first drive round town it almost hit redline temp...was not impressed.

plus i put them on a direct switch so could be operational all the time
would have been better putting just one 16 inch?
  Send a private message to this user    
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: thermo fans Wed, 26 November 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know someone that blew up his radiators n two 12inch fans in his supra so he got a 16inch
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: thermo fans Wed, 26 November 2003 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the 16 incher allowed the engine to not overheat?
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: thermo fans Wed, 26 November 2003 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it works great Very Happy
ViNcEnXo
Regular

July 2003
Re: thermo fans Wed, 26 November 2003 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd like to go to thermo in the Soarer....

However, I've been told that they won't drain any power from the engine above 2000rpm... And they move a shitload of air.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: thermo fans Wed, 26 November 2003 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wait it's only a 14" he just told me

but brand new
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: thermo fans Wed, 26 November 2003 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I have one 14" Davies Craig on my car, and a brand new radiator (did both at once), and when setting up the thermo, you are supposed to set it to come on at the hottest it can, start the car, let it idle until the temperature is jst above where it normally sits, and then wind the sensor back until the thermo kicks in. When i did this on mine, the temperature never went above normal.
So my guess is that your radiator/thermostat/water pump is stuffed. The thermo/fan radiator doesnt do much once you start travelling 60+ kph.
Even in the heat of summer, mine only turns on when I sit in traffic for ages, and even then, its only on for 30-60 sec at most
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: thermo fans Wed, 26 November 2003 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 16" will move as much air as 2 14" fans, but still not as much as your belt driven fan.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: thermo fans Wed, 26 November 2003 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why did you replace the factory engine-driven fan? It's big, it's effective, and it drains SFA power when the fluid coupling disengages. If your shiny new thermo fan isn't doing the job, piss it off and put the engine fan back on!
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: thermo fans Thu, 27 November 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbies got a good point about the std fans! if it aint broke don't fix! and if they wern't good they wouldn't use them!

but if your are going to use thermos:

On the twin 12" thermo's, depending on where you get them from, the actual effectiveness can vary heaps...

With different sized thermo fans go for the ones that will give you best coverage of your radiator.. A single that only covers 60% of the radiator can be worse off than 2 smaller ones that cover a larger percentage..

Go for powerful (heavy) fans.. ie, ones that flow/blow good.
I've seen 12" aircon condenser fans used as thermos and they don't do shit!!!

Also suck thru the radiator, it's the most effective way.
Lastly make your you've got the polarity right!!! a fan figting against the wind while driving will overheat your engine in about 5 mins or less!

Cheap tip is 2 thermo's off a camira.. about $30 each, and works REALLY well... (enogh to stop a radiator that was boiling out the cap to being able to take the cap off w/o a hiss in about 45 seconds.
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: thermo fans Thu, 27 November 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys...i got a 12 inch on my ta22 with a 2TG and my car still over heats at times....thats without the engine fan..
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: thermo fans Thu, 27 November 2003 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh the only reason i put the two 12inch thermo fans on was because the factory one is so fukin loud it sounds like i drivin a a small truck at times.
after the conversion it sounded way better cept then found the problem that it over heated.
addmititly the fans were pretty cheap ones so that may be the reason...
so now the std fan is back on and it runs fine, so yeh dunowhat happenin...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: thermo fans Thu, 27 November 2003 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know why it was loud? Because it was moving LOTS OF AIR! Your new fans are quiet because they're no longer moving lots of air. See the connection here?
knackers
Regular

November 2002
Re: thermo fans Thu, 27 November 2003 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi 2Lsupra
just a quick question did you have the thermo fans running in the write direction
cya knackers
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: thermo fans Thu, 27 November 2003 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as a matter of interest, find a hwy and drive along that.

if it still overheats, your problem isn't the fan (as it wont be on once you're travelling at speed)

Also, do you have a shroud for it? Unless it's shrouded, or the fans are *perfectly* mounted, they'll just blod air around the engine bay, rather than sucking it through the radiator.
I have the AU falcon thermo setup here, factory shroud and all. fingers crossed it does the job! (it's like twin 14" or something tho, so it should be fine)
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: thermo fans Thu, 27 November 2003 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good feedback dudes.

so whats the better way to mount the fan - push or pull?

i mounted my celica fan to push thru the radiator, and, blimey it does a good job (needless to say it covers the entire ta22 radiator)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: thermo fans Thu, 27 November 2003 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pull is generally considered the best method
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: thermo fans Fri, 28 November 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you need the room in the engine bay, then definately pull.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: thermo fans Fri, 28 November 2003 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BUy a new radiator is my advice.
A chevy 4 core one fits in an ma61. Ive done it. If it fits in an ma61, im damn sure itd fit in an ma70. Water capacity may be letting you down also.
Once im complete putting the radiator in mine, ill post pics and pics of the bracket i made to help others do the conversion.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: thermo fans Fri, 28 November 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if all he changed was the fans, a new radiator is not the answer.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: thermo fans Sat, 29 November 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=23383&rid=93&S=c74217d1b0a00a8b458652974 38bfb76&pl_view=&start=0#msg_195964
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: thermo fans Sat, 29 November 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey sorry been away for a while,
yeh i maked sure that i checked the polarity so that was right.
but nah i didn't have a shroud, i think that may have been a big problem...
and yes i did take it on the HWY for a test and it ran fine.
so leads to it was soley that the thermo fans jsut couldn't produce the goods.
the factory is back on now and is runnin good. (cept for the truck like sound)

thanx for all yas help
ViNcEnXo
Regular

July 2003
Re: thermo fans Sat, 29 November 2003 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How prone to failure are the standard clutch fans?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: thermo fans Sat, 29 November 2003 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know what you mean about the truck sound 2lSupra! Before my old gz20 soarer had an exhaust, the fans were the only thing you could hear! Smile

BTW I have a single 14" on my Corona with a Chaser Radiator pushing air through as there is no room to pull. I will tell you how the setup goes.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: thermo fans Sat, 29 November 2003 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I work in a radiator shop and see this problem all the time and there could be many causes and solutions.
1. are the thermos in a shroud of any type or just on the radiator because with thermos the shroud serves a big purpose in pulling the air through the radiator.
2. Air the thermos set to pull the air through the radiator and not trying to push it back out the front.
3. If the core is a thick one say 4 or 5 row u need a bloody powerful set of thermos to pull the air back through.
4. Maybe u just have low powered thermos.
5. After seeing many jobs we have concluded the standard fans work alot better then thermos most of the time.
6. try placing one thermo on the motor side of the radiator in some sort of shroud so it pulls the air through the radiator. then place the other thermos the bumper side of the rad on the opposite side to the other thermo but not in a shroud and wire it so it pushes air insted of pulling it then it will push air through the rad towards then engine.

Where abouts are u located. Brisbane. If so i might be able to take a look at it.
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: thermo fans Sun, 30 November 2003 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i think the prob was prolly a combination, no shroud, possibly weak fans and theres the air conditioning condenser in front of radiator...

well actully i in perth so yeh, ne ideas on where to get a shroud from though? perhaps certain factory ones on some new model car?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: thermo fans Sun, 30 November 2003 10:39 Go to previous message
clutch fans "fail" when they get old, because the fluid leaks out of them, and they no longer lock up when the car is getting hotter (they have a coil on the front of the motor..which acts on the temp of the air going by) And if you're real unlucky, they can seize, which will keep the car nice n cool, but itll drink lots fuel and drain a lot of power.

the fact that 2 12's cant cool a 1ggte is ridiculous! in traffic, theyd suck a lot more air than the clutch fan doing 6-700rpm. There's obviously something wrong with the way your system is set up...on top of a missing shroud...or they are dodgy fans.

if you want a shrouded pair, but some off an "ef" or an "au" falcon. An "el" pair will be too big. They use flat bodied fans which are super efficient and work well.
if you have lots of room in front of the engine, you could even use a single commodore one (off like a vs) which also comes with a shroud..they also work very well and efficient.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 November 2003 10:41]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How do i set up this fan successfully?
Next Topic:ke20 carby
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 00:03:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.053838014602661 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.