Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Unusual question... RAISING the ride height?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
icon5.gif  Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 09:39 Go to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sun, 22 February 2004 10:19]

Send a private message to this user    
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just order some springs that ride a half inch or an inch higher than factory. Have you considered that his old springs have sagged and some new ones may be in order anyway and that may fix the problem?
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sun, 22 February 2004 10:19]

supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well not really, but does it make a difference? The old bloke's on a pension I'm sure he's not going to drive it hard enough to find out!!!! It won't make any difference in day to day driving. Don't forget that the shocks may be fully shagged out as well and this will give the "I think it's gonna tip over" feeling too.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you need to know if the suspension is worn, just measure the right height. I'm sure you'll be able to find what the ride height should be on a website somewhere.

Perhaps you should put in hydraulic adjustable suspension. Laughing That way, when he parks he can jump it up, and when he wants to drive around he can adjust it to normal.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sun, 22 February 2004 10:20]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should cram some 18" rims in there, and chuck something like a 4A-GZE under the hood. Mwahahaha. Fastest Grandpa on wheels.

When I get past 50 I'm so gonna drive something like that. Laughing
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sun, 22 February 2004 10:20]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
call K-Mac (near rockdale) or Whiteline... they both can make springs to whatever height you want.... i'm sure many others can too (king springs come to mind)
getting taller ones should be trivial Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sun, 22 February 2004 10:21]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Should cram some 18" rims in there, and chuck something like a 4A-GZE under the hood

lol, actually yeah, some taller springs + 18'' wheels will make it a very high corolla Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I was 50 now, I would definitely have a low rider with hyros. Nice deep red colour, big shiny rims. I wonder if I would get booked by the cops? That would be funny.

Cop: "Do you know what I pulled you ov..." *sees me*
Me (In best old man voice): "No, but I should take you over my knee young man! Hassling me 'cuz my shit is sweet. You're just jealous 'cuz your ride ain't shit!"
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahahaha Laughing

well in 50 years if you see a grandpa next to you at the lights with a modded 93 supra reving his engine say hello to me Very Happy

but then again in 50 years everyone would proberly have cars that fly around Confused
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll just rev my '98 VVT-i 2JZ-GTE bright back at ya. Ofcourse, it will be running on ethonol, as petrol will either be all gone, or so expensive nobody can afford it. Fuck that anti-grav shit! viva internal combusion!

I wonder what kids will think of Supras, Altezzas, GT-Rs, RX7s, S2000s and the like in 50 years?
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you raise the height of the car you'll get extra bodyroll on corners because of the highe centre of gravity. If the car is a standard model it won't have a front swaybar so put one of those on to improve the handling. Very Happy
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as an alternative, have you thought of raising the height of the seat (if he's not any taller than 5Ft) should solve the problem.
matty.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Mon, 01 December 2003 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raising the suspension height by a couple of inches above factory can do aweful things to your suspension (much worse than lowering it would).

I guess your dad isn't about to go racing in his corolla but RAISING it will give you a healthy dose of positive camber, which will increase braking distance and make it very aweful on wet roads. Probably not too much a concern for your dad but it could introduce jacking during hard cornering which is a really ugly thing where the car tries to pull the outside wheel under itself. Jacking is usually associated with VW beetles and can be dangerous.

Have you thought about fitting taller seats? or maybe make something like a childs booster for the original seat?

How about wider/taller profile tyres, only problem with this is it will throw the speedo out.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 December 2003 01:52]

Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Tue, 02 December 2003 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sun, 22 February 2004 10:22]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Tue, 02 December 2003 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2-3" increase in height will give positive camber??? if it's macpherson strut, that means about 2-3cm sideways movement of the wheel!!! the KE10's have positive camber to start with, and it's not nice to drive hard with. but really, when driving normally, you don't notice it much at all... i think in thi case, where the car is driven normally, a few extra inches in ride height will not affect the performance enough to be noticed...

unless your dad is a hoon Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad heh heh

taller rims do nothing unless the overall tyre diamter changes, and that will put the speedo out by an unacceptable amount..

i'd still go with springs.. they aren't too exxy, and if you need them changed back, is not that much hassle..

Cya, Stewart
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Tue, 02 December 2003 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you will find that raising the ride height on a standard suspension setup will change the camber significantly, I'm estimating 2-3 degrees. I am not sure what an AE92 runs standard but I would guess around the zero mark, maybe slightly positive. A few degrees of positive camber will be pretty ordinary for braking and slippery in the wet.
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Tue, 02 December 2003 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This guys fiance's rolla has been raised (well, it looks like it anyway). He's a bit of a guru, so he should be able to help you if he so wishes:
steve@turbocorolla.com

I think if you put higher springs on, you'd probably also want to replace the swaybars, so your wheels will stay on the black stuff alot better, and get a camber kit.

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Unusual question... RAISING the ride height? Tue, 02 December 2003 02:46 Go to previous message
I think hydraulic adjustables are the way to go! Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Reco door hinges
Next Topic:T18 LSD
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 19:45:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071702003479004 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.