Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
freshjive
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 05:13 Go to next message
Hi guys
I'm considering to of getting a supra stock intercooler.
Just wondering how many different kind of coolers are there?

Could u pls supply:
-Photos
-Models they are from
-Dimensions
-Pricing

Cheers guys!

[Updated on: Tue, 02 December 2003 05:50]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll make it simple for you. Unless you have a small engine with modest HP goals, most standard Supra intercoolers aren't worth bothering with. The only half-decent one is from the Mk4 Supra (JZA80), and while it flows very well it has a small frontal area. There are better coolers out there for the money though.
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the topic, what hp are mkIII supras intercoolers good for?
ie, when would an upgrade be required?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty much straight away. The pressure drop is pretty big even on a relatively stock engine. Like I said, stock Supra coolers aren't worth much.
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont have photos but i know that the Mark III 70 series all have Front mounts.

The GA70 is a twin side entry (drivers side) and is alledgedly smaller than the MA70/JZA70 ones.

The JZA70 cooler is a straight through style cooler, one entry at the top and one at the bottom on the other side (from memory, i havent had it off the car for AGES).

MA70 Cooler looks identical but twin side entry (drivers side). I've heard rumors it is smaller than jza70 but i dont think it is.

JZA80's have one of those little brick style coolers (its almost as thick as it is wide) that sits in front of the drivers side front wheel.

I can get you a pic of a JZA80 cooler and JZA70 cooler.. ive got a photo of a GA70 cooler someone strapped to the top of a 4A that came out of a sprinter (i think)...

The JZA80 cooler is pretty much useless unless you wanted to turbo a bike (IMHO). the 70 series coolers ive heard sell anywhere from $150 - $500. I wouldnt pay more than $200, they're just a truck oil cooler redesigned.. ive heard.

- Russ
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poombah wrote on Tue, 02 December 2003 16:45

The JZA80 cooler is pretty much useless unless you wanted to turbo a bike (IMHO).

JZA80 coolers are good for at least 350hp with very little pressure drop. Not many factory coolers can claim that, so I wouldn't call them useless!
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok then,
well how would i go about mounting an aftermarket front mount on a stock ga70 front. because i have had a look and there aint much room. the nose has a big metal front bar across it which would decrese airflow greatly also making sizes chocie on the cooler limited...
any advice?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a thread comparing the MA70 & JZA70 coolers. A fair bit of difference.
http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/showthre ad.php?s=&threadid=67139728&highlight=diff erence+JZA70+MA70
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ga70 cooer looks almost identical to the jza70 except it is smaller.
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

jza80 coolers are hard to use in a non standard application (ie on some other car) due to the fact where are you going to mount something of its dimensions (its almost a cube).
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Tue, 02 December 2003 17:57

the ga70 cooer looks almost identical to the jza70 except it is smaller.

Looks wise all the 70 series 'look' the same.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They mean in regards to the way the outlets on the JZA70 and GA70 intercoolers inlets/outlets are at opposite ends whereas the MA70 one has them at the same end.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 December 2003 10:33]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Tue, 02 December 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poombah wrote on Tue, 02 December 2003 20:22

jza80 coolers are hard to use in a non standard application (ie on some other car) due to the fact where are you going to mount something of its dimensions (its almost a cube).

Well I managed to fit TWO of them in my MA61 with no major surgery, so it ain't that bad! There's plenty of room in a Mk3 Supra as well so I reckon you could do the same thing. A friend of mine has a ginormous ARE cooler in his JZA70 and it fit without any major hassles.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supra Stock Intercoolers Wed, 03 December 2003 01:32 Go to previous message
Or just fit one like this, custom top flowing cooler Smile
http://supragte.freewebspace.com/images/intercooler.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae101 gearbox
Next Topic:Wobbly crankpulley, what to do?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 27 14:01:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.098741054534912 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.