Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AW11 lookouts...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

AW11 lookouts... Fri, 12 December 2003 09:22 Go to next message
my gf has been looking for an aw11 to buy and is fairly keen on one she's just found...

not really knowing too much about them specifically is there anything i should look for on them other then the usual stuff... any mr2 ish specific stuff ?

btw its only got about 100k on the clock as well..
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 lookouts... Sat, 13 December 2003 07:48 Go to previous message
Freak 1st, good selection on your gf's choice of car, she have a sister? j/k Laughing
you may find after you have driven one for a bit you may want to steal it from your gf.. Smile

over here we dont seem have the rust problems they do in the states and U.K. but check the rear wheel arches for any sign, and around the front of the door where the hinges are and sill.
the doors have been know to sag as mine do Sad you will know as soon as you open a door if it drops a bit or not. new hinges can be bought from toyota.
make sure the power windows work ok, the aw11 is known for the plastic drive cog stripping (mainly on the drivers side) if it clunks or makes a few wierd noises, you know it is stripped or on it's way. replacement cogs are available from some dudes in the states, toyota will sell you the cog for $495 as they want you to buy the motor as well (bastards!!)
the engines are prity sound, but can have oil leaks. mainly like any 4age engine the dizzy seals seems to be the most common one. it's easy to find if it is, by running your finger under where the dizzy goes into the head.
the main problem a lot of 'new' aw11 owners have is changing the coolant, if not done correctly you get air bubbles in the system that can cause trouble from a bouncing idle to blown head gasket.
there is a certain 'bleeding' procedure that is followed. i cheat, i reverse the car up on my ramps. that way i only need to 'bleed' the air from the radiator and the heater valve (under the frunk).
suspension and things like that are prity sound as well, just check that like any other car.

ummmm... cant think of anything else at the moment other than you wont regret owning a aw11 mr2.. Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3sGTE Rebuild
Next Topic:interesting ct20 turbo varitations.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 00:21:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043349266052246 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.