Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA61 engine replacement?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
liquid
Newcomer

December 2003
MA61 engine replacement? Sun, 14 December 2003 07:19 Go to next message
Greetings,

I would like to replace the worn out 5ME.

Fuel:
Not sure if this is accurate or not, but I have been told that in x (x is something like 12 or 18) amount of months, they won't be required to manufacture lead-replacement fuel. One would anticipate that it will become more expensive and less accessible as time goes by.

I hate the fact that we have to pay more for a fuel (lead-replacement) because in the past it had lead in it, but now it doesn't, but we still have to pay more compared to unleaded.

This could be unfounded, but I was sure the 5ME ran better before the lead-replacement fuel was enforced.

So, overall I'm leaning toward an unleaded solution. Any thoughts?

Legality:

It has to be legal. If I get pulled over by the Extra Government Revenue Collection Authority, then I want to be sure they can't defect me for major changes to the vehicle.

Some ideas of my own:

0. Stick with lead-replacement fuel. Have the 5ME reconditioned. Maybe use some sort of fuel additive to compensate for the lead-replacement. Comments?

1. Have the 5ME reconditioned to run unleaded. Comments?

2. Find and recondition a 5MGE. This may just be a straight engine swap for the 5ME. I think the 5MGE is unleaded, possible source one from a MX73. Comments?

3. Find and recondition a 7MGE. Anyone know of a business in SA that will perform this conversion, fully legal. I could keep an eye out for a MX83 front-cut. Then hand it to someone for recondition and installation. Comments?

Just starting to contemplate the project at this point. Any ideas, suggestions, comments etc etc.. much appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 engine replacement? Sun, 14 December 2003 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7m-ge is just about as straight forward as conversions go, plus reasonable availability of parts. definitly the go. (of course, the 5m-e will run on 98 octane fuel - but why go for that when for a little more you can have a lot more horsies)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 engine replacement? Sun, 14 December 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lead is a non-issue; a 5M-E will run just fine on unleaded, as will practically any Jap engine built since the mid-70's.

Having said that, don't waste your money rebuilding that boat anchor of an engine. Take this as an opportunity to upgrade to something decent! A 5M-GE or 6M-GE is the easiest but it's getting harder to find a good one. 7M-GE is a bit harder but still pretty straightforward, and being a newer engine this is possibly a better option.

Of course if it was me I'd be aiming for something more modern and powerful like a 1JZ-GTE or 1UZ-FE, but it depends how far you want to go I guess!

All of the above are legal in NSW and Qld; not sure about SA but I doubt you'll have any problems.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 engine replacement? Sun, 14 December 2003 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2JZGE

No bias Cool
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: MA61 engine replacement? Sun, 14 December 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with most of what Norbie said.

A 7MGE would be your best and cheapest option. I believe Southo is selling a complete 7MGE setup on good working order. I was going to put this in my car until I settled on a 1JZGTE (much more expensive).

This will be a big power upgrade from the existing engine, and will bolt straight up to your car (gearbox included).

Failing that... I have run unleaded in my '76 model 4M since the day I bought it... there will not be a problem with your 4M. I personally would run Optimax/Ultimate (or premium if you must) or else look at knocking the timing back a few degrees.

[Updated on: Sun, 14 December 2003 12:03]

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 engine replacement? Sun, 14 December 2003 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 14 December 2003 19:31

Lead is a non-issue; a 5M-E will run just fine on unleaded, as will practically any Jap engine built since the mid-70's.

My MA61 with the 5M-E just had it's head rebuilt 10 months ago and I have been running Optimax on her... She is doing fine and not pinging or loosing oil. As well as my SA63 (2S-C) has just had it's head rebuilt and it's running great on Optimax.

But since my MA61 has no LSD. I'll stick to the 5M-E until I get Trutrac LSD...

That is my 2 cents worth.

Cheers.
liquid
Newcomer

December 2003
Re: MA61 engine replacement? Mon, 15 December 2003 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: MA61 engine replacement? Mon, 15 December 2003 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yeah my mighty 4m runs on nothing but BP ultimate when i got new pistons in it they did a compression test and said it would have to run on av - gas Shocked but they got some differnt ones but recommended i only but BP ultimate in her which i would only put in it anyway Very Happy

id go the 7m as you can bolt it strait up to your enginemounts / gearbox.

i'll eventually have the 7mgte Evil or Very Mad
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 engine replacement? Mon, 15 December 2003 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reccomend BP ultimax for the best running fuel. I went for a drive to and back from sydney over the last week, and the fuel that gave me best performance and economy was bp ultimax over shell optimax and normal premium unleaded.
Put a v8 in it Wink
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: MA61 engine replacement? Mon, 15 December 2003 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

you prolly meant for him to put a v8 in it i thought about that but then the boat styles would be even worse Confused

I was following my brother home the other day hes got a vk with a 355 stroker in it, its got twice the power as my car which means he eats me top end, but as soon as we got on to some twisty bits later Laughing you just cant take some corners at speed with a big heavy v8
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 engine replacement? Mon, 15 December 2003 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont you mean you cant take corners with a big heavy family commodore?
That has nothing to do with the motor..if anything the v8 should be better balanced and the instant acceleration they have it should leap out of them...providing everything's set up correctly.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: MA61 engine replacement? Mon, 15 December 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i know what you mean in the RIGHT car it would go hard (converting from a 6) but my extractors had to be custom made because of the huge as steering box if i could do a R&P conv then maybe but id rather go to a turbo 6 than a carbie v8

theres enough room but check out the clearnce on the extractors

http://xdesign.com.au/coronamk2/engine-small.jpg

Shocked
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 engine replacement? Mon, 15 December 2003 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should see the amount of room you have for a v motor after you pull that long turd out Wink
Ive got 14" from the front of the motor to the radiator. And theres lots of room around the p/s for my extractors...d/s will need to be a custom spaghetti job though. well worth it imo Wink
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: MA61 engine replacement? Mon, 15 December 2003 07:04 Go to previous message
I know one would fit but then you have custom extractors, custom sump etc + the 4m could put out 160+hpatw with some work (cam,triple webber + some nice internal bits) but with the money that would cost i can do the 7mgte conv which with some mods would put out more power than a stock v8
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:flat battery and thermo fan
Next Topic:my TPS fell off.. is that bad?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 07:54:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04604697227478 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.