Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ticking noise from engine

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

icon8.gif  ticking noise from engine Mon, 22 December 2003 09:17 Go to next message
Confused at idle there is a very loud tivking noise which seems to be comming from the pistons, but i cant b sure. Its extremely loud, and when the car begins to rev the noise gets louder and naturally faster. It doesnt sound healthy at all, and sounds like a grinding noise when the revs are up, any1 have any ideas what it could be? Remember that the head was off to get new gasket etc, and i drove to qld and back on the weekend with no dramas and it just started yesterday but sounded like a spun bearing, but now, its really bad and i have a gut feeling that it is quite serious which gives me da shits cos the car has been off the road for a month already :S

Any1 have an ideas? i dont wanna drive it to a mechanic cos it drives like shit, and i dont wanna do any more damage :S
  Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: ticking noise from engine Mon, 22 December 2003 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take cam covers off and check for gorge marks an ya cams.

Check oil & water for contaminants and any unusual dis-coloration.

Might as well do a compression check as well.

See how you go with that.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: ticking noise from engine Mon, 22 December 2003 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, sounds like a spun bearing maybe, which is what i did to my engine once Embarassed
make sure it's got oil and try not to rev it too much til u fix it.
good luck w/ it
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: ticking noise from engine Mon, 22 December 2003 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops dbl post

[Updated on: Mon, 22 December 2003 21:57]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ticking noise from engine Mon, 22 December 2003 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might just be a shim has come away from the cap and you've got a huge valve clearance.

Draining the oil will confirm if you've spun a bearing as there would be some metal in there.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ticking noise from engine Tue, 23 December 2003 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What exactly do you mean by "spun a bearing" </n00b>
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ticking noise from engine Tue, 23 December 2003 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is on your 7m?

As well as the shims I'd be checking the crank pulley - when they get loose they'll make a loud ticking noise from the front of the engine. Have a look at it to see if it's wobbling or moving at all when running, also slaken off the belts and check for any play in the pulley. It can end up scoring the crank and making it impossible to fix properly if let go.
boj01
Regular

August 2003
Re: ticking noise from engine Tue, 23 December 2003 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could just be low on oil??? Not enuff oil lubricating moving parts like tappets etc...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: ticking noise from engine Tue, 23 December 2003 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be a sticky valve lifter ( sometimes they get shit on them and it makes a rattling sound)
Try running hi-octane fuel in it, and also try an oil change with GOOD QUALITY oil. Fixed my old 5m.

Blake.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ticking noise from engine Tue, 23 December 2003 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you tried putting oil in it
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: ticking noise from engine Wed, 24 December 2003 12:01 Go to previous message
scottie, you have had so much bad luck lately dude...goodluck for the future... Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Radiator queries..
Next Topic:1JZ Oil Filter Sandwhich Plate For Oil Cooler
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 22:23:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043349266052246 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.