Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Wed, 24 December 2003 04:04 Go to next message
Hey, I wolud just like to know who has upgraded their twin turbos on their 1G.

Not interested in single turbo conversions as I would like to keep the twins.

If somebody can point me in the right direction as I don't know what's too big and what's too small for these engines.

Is custom fitting the twins of a 1JZ worthwhile?

Cheers Kirk
  Send a private message to this user    
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Wed, 24 December 2003 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirk

There are some Blitz turbos for sale in the for sale section that would be the best upgrade - $ for performance that I could think of $450 is REAL cheap for bigger high flowed turbos. From my reckoning they have larger housings and should give significantly better performance at higher revs.

If you combined these with an aftermarket computer to get rid of the AFM which would allow you to do away with the restricted airflow to the turbos you could be looking at 180-200kw at the wheels - lets face it those 1.5" shitty tubes must really stuff things up. Do a search back to the beginning of the year - there is a bloke in Tassie that has been getting this type of power with standard gen 3 turbos and playing with the air intake. He also used a Wolf and coil packs that allowed hime to get rid of the distributer cap and get better acces for air to the front turbo.

Craig
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Wed, 24 December 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice Craig... I was eyeing those turbos off and wasn't sure. Do you think they would be a worthwhile upgrade?

Cheers Kirk
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Wed, 24 December 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also if ya get a hold of some adjustable cam gears that will help ya mid range torque, and a better cooler

i wreckon you will be looking at 200rwkw then
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Thu, 25 December 2003 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice again guys... Oz Craig I had a custom cooler made for the car, it's a fair bit bigger than the standard GA70 item, so it should do the trick for a while Smile

I'm looking into adjustable cam gears at the moment, should be a worthwhile mod Smile

Cheers Kirk

Have a great new year everyone Wink
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Thu, 25 December 2003 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirk

If I had not already bought a GT25/30 and a HKS manifold I would have already got them!

Craig
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Fri, 26 December 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's good to hear craig... Makes me feel a bit better about spending $450 then Wink

Cheers Kirk
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Fri, 26 December 2003 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
craig, 200rwKW is quitea bit more than a cooler and cam gears.

it'd definatly need new management and a big cooler and cam gears, I'd still think it'd only get around 180rwKW.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Fri, 26 December 2003 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hopefully I can get my f'ing car on the road and tell you what it gets with a new IC and the Blitz turbos Smile
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Fri, 26 December 2003 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently the blitz turbos are still only good for 17psi to, hopefully being a bit bigger they might make a little difference

my money is on Craigs!! (ddeanes)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Fri, 26 December 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, given money that would be my plan too, but I effectively didn't pay for mine so I can't complain Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Fri, 26 December 2003 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 26 December 2003 22:29

Hopefully I can get my f'ing car on the road

Hahahahahahahahaha

Maybe......one day. Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Fri, 26 December 2003 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, we can dream Very Happy
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Sat, 27 December 2003 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with Bugman....
look at the kind of power you are chasing..... then have a look at what phil is getting out of his 1g... rb26 turbos, custom manifolds, custom inlet and plenum, bigger throtle, cooler, and motec management, bigger injectors, plus all the other little thing he has done....
he is only making round the power you want......

why do you want twins?
mine used to make full boost at around 3500rpm, my to4e single makes full boost before 4000rpm...
it pulls heaps harder than the twins used to at 15 psi and i am only runnin 8 psi at the moment.... wait till i start running 20 or 25psi....

Cheers
Stew
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Sat, 27 December 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the moment I'm still very much in love with the idea of twin turbos... that, and money to convert to single turbo setup with an aftermarket ecu won't exist for a long time. Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 27 December 2003 07:14]

TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Sat, 27 December 2003 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,
well i am stil runnin factory ecu at the moment with no probs... you wouldn't know it wasnt factory under the bonnet.

I think you will find that the twins will be more expensive than the single, as well as harder to do as you need two of everything.....

i had 2 1j turbos that i was going to put on..... Should be good as they are a better designed turbo than the 1g ones and i reckon that with good manifolds and dumps you should get boost at the same rpm as the stockers with heaps more power.

i was still keen to do it with the twins, just to see how close me and my mates research was into the kind of power we could make, but i just couldn't justify the expense when it was just for an experiment and then change it straight over to single.

but the reason i went single was cause it was going to be too much hassle with manifolds and stuff, and if you adapt to the stock manifolds, either with bolt on turbos or adapter plates then you are missing out on major benefits from a well designed manifold.

Cheers
Stew
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1GGTE Who has upgraded their twins? Mon, 29 December 2003 03:33 Go to previous message
those CT12s are a great match for a 2.0L sixpot engine - maybe just get some high-flowing done to the steel wheel replacements and fit CT9 compressors....? not sure how the factory manifolding would go, but anything worthwhile generally requires work....!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:modifiying original exhuast manifold
Next Topic:Check out this FRANKENSTEIN !!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 20:15:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047221183776855 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.