Toymods » Tech & Conversions » rough cost of hilux-pug-corona brake conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
rough cost of hilux-pug-corona brake conversion Sat, 03 January 2004 06:34 Go to next message
looking into brake conversions, what have you guys out there spent roughly on this conversion?
I have some RA65 sturts complete with brakes lined up but have heard that they cause camber probs....

Brendon
  Send a private message to this user    
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: rough cost of hilux-pug-corona brake conversion Sun, 04 January 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are buying new rotors, expect to pay about $250-$300 for the pair. The calipers will be anywhere up to $200 for the pair but some people are lucky and get them a lot cheaper (I paid $35 each).

Optional is a re-seal kit for the calipers which is about $100 per caliper if you pay someone to do it.. or about $30 if you do it yourself. If the pistons are shagged then they are $20-$25 each.

I would recommend new brake hoses (about $60 for the pair) and of course new brake fluid.

And finally, pads are up to you, you can pay anywhere from $30 to $400 for a set of brake pads, and this is what ultimately defines how good your brakes are! I would be looking at some quality pads about the $100-$150 mark.

So:

$300 rotors
$200 calipers
$ 60 brake hoses
$ 20 brake fluid
$150 brake pads

And then optional rebuilding of the calipers can be as much as $200 for the pair plus an additional $20-$25 for any piston (there are 8 in total) that is not salvageable.

I would probably budget $1000 for those parts - and depending on your car (if you need a strut conversion or any other bits) then budget a bit more!

Hope this helps.

Leigh
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: rough cost of hilux-pug-corona brake conversion Sun, 04 January 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also you'd be silly not to fit new wheel bearings and re-grease everything... so allow another $100 for that.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rough cost of hilux-pug-corona brake conversion Sun, 04 January 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my rotors cost me around $200 brembo
and the brake lines cost $120
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: rough cost of hilux-pug-corona brake conversion Sun, 04 January 2004 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a pair of RT132 struts I paid $50.
Each brembo rotor (OE replacement for Pug 605) cost me $95.
A pair of Hilux 4 pot (LN106) calipers cost me $195.00.
I had the rotor's redrilled at 45 degress offset for the right PCD for the hat mounting bolts, and the rotors machined down in
diameter from 273mm to 268mm so they did not foul the inside of
the hilux calipers. This cost me a 6 pack of bundy and coke,
and if you do this don't forget to get the rotor minimum thickness of 18mm re-engraved onto the edges of each rotor.

New hoses, wheel bearings, grease etc. Rebuilt the calipers and painted them as well. Fitted 1mm thick washers on the caliper mounting bolts to space them out more equally across the rotors. Panelled flat the inside raised sections of the dust/backing plates and cut out bigger sections in them to clear the bigger hilux calipers.

I think that was about all.....

Think about upgrading your MC from 13/16 to 15/16 at the same time. The smaller MC will give you a softer pedal with more travel than the original set-up, as there is more fluid to move in the calipers now.

Mitch.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 January 2004 12:55]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: rough cost of hilux-pug-corona brake conversion Sun, 04 January 2004 19:04 Go to previous message
thanks guys will be doing this soon too.

out of interest what pads are you running?

FWIW the std TA22 master cylinder can be re-sleeved to 15/16 to help with pedal feel.

OOI - has anyone fiddled with bias adjustment after doing this change?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 Owners !
Next Topic:fuel guage problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 01:55:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11711597442627 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.