Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
supra86
Occasional Poster

May 2003

jackstand position Sun, 04 January 2004 13:11 Go to next message
where is the best way to put the stands (front & rear) on the mk3 supra. the way i put it is under these two rail(the one go thiner as it get to the rear). i feel that is not safe. thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
silverbak8u
Occasional Poster

January 2004
icon10.gif  Re: jackstand position Sun, 04 January 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont feel safe under jackstands (even though im sure they are safe by themselves). What I prefer to do is place wheels under either side of the car along with jackstands under each chassis rail (left and right). Im probably being silly but it makes me feel alot safer.

My two cents Very Happy

Micko.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: jackstand position Sun, 04 January 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can never be too safe when it comes to getting under a car. It only takes one stuff-up and you're squashed flat...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: jackstand position Sun, 04 January 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tend to just lower the car onto the jackstands - once that weights on there, a good jackstand cant let loose.

but then, I'm also the sort of person who has crawled un his car on more than one occasion with nothing but a crappy wind-up jcak holding the car up (not something I recommend, in retrospect)
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: jackstand position Sun, 04 January 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh stuff it. I just use the scissor jack.... and if they fail, well I'll slap a law suit on the manufacturers that'll teach them.....

Oh hang on...if they fail, I'll prolly be dead, hmmm might rethink that strategy.

Razz
But in all seriousness, just look for anywhere on the chassis to put the stands. Even the thin bits are pretty reliable. The steel can withstand alot. The weight is a lot less as you move it as far to one end of the car as you can.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: jackstand position Sun, 04 January 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in regards to where to put the jackstands:

by rail i assume u mean sill

some cars u can put it anywhere on the sill safely
some cars u have to put it on a specific bit and thatll be all the way near the end and all the way near the front
some cars you;re not allowed to use the sill at all

on the sill look for the bit where it kind of has 2 funny looking bits on it....put it inbetween them...hard to xplain in words

almost anywhere u put it is fine as long as its secure cause the jackstand is not gonna collapse.....its more the fact of damaging your car if u put it in the wrong place
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: jackstand position Mon, 05 January 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you leave the tyres on, and a jack/jackstand fails, it wont kill you, It will hurt you... a lot... but it wont kill you

I always lower the car onto the stands, which are on the chassis rails, and then give the car a fairly big push and shake.
If it holds, I'm happy, and thus far, safe
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: jackstand position Mon, 05 January 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and don't forget to chock every wheel still on the ground - and do it both sides!

i once had to hold a galant for about 10 minutes (until help walked past) after it started to rock off a jack - i'd forgot to pull on the handbrake... and once the arse is up the air, you really want sizable chocks on the front wheels.

if you're not working on the brakes, wedge your clublock (or similar) between brake pedal and front of driver seat to hold the brakes on hard lock.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: jackstand position Mon, 05 January 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That'll teach you to get under a car that is just held up by a jack!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: jackstand position Mon, 05 January 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, i wasn't under it at the time, but i had to work my way around to the back of the car while pushing it forwards ... as i had a front disk in the air and the wheel was ... just out of reach. doh!

serves me right for not stuffing the tyre under the car...

... and did i feel like a fool or what ... Laughing Laughing
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: jackstand position Mon, 05 January 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

If you leave the tyres on, and a jack/jackstand fails, it wont kill you, It will hurt you... a lot... but it wont kill you

obviously. my joke should have included the fact that the wheels were no longer on the car.
supra86
Occasional Poster

May 2003

Re: jackstand position Mon, 05 January 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my jackstand is a doggy one (made in china) the one look like that \___/.

is the chassis rail the fat bar(5~cm wide) or the thin one where the factory jack use.
i really dont want to bend my chasis
thanks again ppl
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: jackstand position Mon, 05 January 2004 13:04 Go to previous message
fat bar, 5cm wide, about 20 cm in from side of car, NOT that 2mm wide crimp that u put the normal jacks on
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1J into MX-73 progress report
Next Topic:AE86 Rims and tires
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 02:06:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037260055541992 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.