Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

ta23 brake and diff upgrade Sun, 11 January 2004 07:22 Go to next message
For anyone planning a diff upgrade in there ta23 then i suggest the best way to go is struts and diff from a ra40. I have just done this and the diff in the ra40 is a few cm wider so it sits the wheels out nice. Also the struts fit straight in on your existing ta23 control arms. But dont put a ta23 diff back into a ra40. i had to do that so my ra40 was moveable and i had to take the drums off and then turn the wheels around backwards just so i could get them on as the ta23 diff is shorter. But in the end it looks tough. Also you will need a leaver bar to get the ra40 diff in as its a tight fit but looks heaps better.
  Send a private message to this user    
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Sun, 11 January 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you say a few cm wider, how many exactly??? i'm after a 5 cm increase (converting to fwd offset but a diff upgrade would be good too) but if it's close enough it'd do. do many of the RA40 diffs come out LSD? or am i dreaming............

oh yeah, and is it discs or just bigger drums?

cheers
Matt
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Sun, 11 January 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im not sure on the lsd but is say dreaming. Very Happy Im not sure on the size but id say about3 or 4cms on each side but couldnt be exact. Its only drums but i think there bigger. Fronts are definatly heaps bigger.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Sun, 11 January 2004 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on each side??? you might find problems with fitting mags later on then, they're usually wider than those beautiful steel rims you've got in your pic. guess you'll just have to pump those guards waaaaaaay out then Very Happy

i might have to give it a go, sounds like a good way to solve my current offset problem without having to modify much

cheers
Matt
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Sun, 11 January 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You won't find any LSD's in RA40's I'm afraid, unless you score yourself an ultra-rare Jap-spec GT (and even then they're not common).
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Sun, 11 January 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive actually got mags on it now and it fits beautiful under the gaurds and looks nice. Whats the reason for the diff upgrade anyway.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Wed, 14 January 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't the panhard rod mount over an inch or two, meaning the diff sits off centre??
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Wed, 14 January 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt the Ra40 a t series single spinner too? if so how is it an upgrade??
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Wed, 14 January 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so your telling us u went from a T series single spinner rear end that fit your car properly, to a T series single spinner rear end that is too wide, doesnt fit your car properly and possibly out of alignment due to the panhard rod bracket being in a different place?

Eye Spin Freak Eye Spin
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Thu, 15 January 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
.panhad rod?. is that the one that goes from one side to the other. If so then ii havnt installed that rod yet but all the others were identical on each side so it pushed the diff to centre.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Thu, 15 January 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont wanna sound rude but, what was the purpose of the diff change? just like rob says?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Thu, 15 January 2004 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Thu, 15 January 2004 22:11

.panhad rod?. is that the one that goes from one side to the other. If so then ii havnt installed that rod yet but all the others were identical on each side so it pushed the diff to centre.

please please please tell me your not driving it without a panhard rod.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Thu, 15 January 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a look at his signature, i'm pretty sure he's not driving it. if the panhard rod does push the diff off centre adjustable ones aren't that expensive, or it wouldn't be that hard to make anyway. i'm interested too, besides the change in offset is there anything else to make this worthwhile? i still need to change my offset but if it's not that much of an upgrade i might just hold out til i can afford a hilux or hiace diff
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Fri, 16 January 2004 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not an upgrade at all both cars use a 6.7inch T series diff. If the original was stuffed you should of just changed the centres.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Fri, 16 January 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only changed the diff because i had like 5 teeth in the other one and was told the ra40 diff had better brakes then the ta23
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ta23 brake and diff upgrade Fri, 16 January 2004 22:37 Go to previous message
you could have just bolted the RA40 diff centre AND drum brakes to your TA23 housing..... Surprised Less effort than using a prybar to fit another complete axle assembly... and wont flog out all of the trailing arm bushes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 Adj. steering column vibrating badly at 140km. What is easy fix?
Next Topic:2TG Engine Rebuild Gasket Kit ????
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 09:08:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.033002853393555 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.