Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » The Ultimate Grandpa Car !

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 02:19 Go to next message
Well as you all know the was a bit of a change in vehicles at our place. This is my new toy.

http://www.toymods.org.au/~rod/Rods%201970%20Crown%20Custom%20Wagon/Day%202%20002%20XtraSmall.jpg

Here is a link to a larger pic.

http://www.toymods.org.au/~rod/Rods%201970%20Crown %20Custom%20Wagon/Day%202%20001%20Small.jpg

It only has 31,000 original Miles on the clock and is in excellent condition. Grin Grin Grin

Only problem is I think its too good to modify as it would make a great sleeper.... Not that I'm going to !

[Updated on: Wed, 07 August 2002 02:20]

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can recommend a good doctor if you wish Eye Spin
rdraginrolla
Regular

July 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats smick! Laughing
how much did that puppy set ya back? Smiley $$
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
laughs - Hmms - can imagine grandpa doing 11's in a corona wagon with a 1uzgte in it ..

GOOOOOOOO GRANDPA!!! hehehe hehehe
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh wow! That's truly a beautiful thing. Awesome Rod!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually it would be a good dog hauler for my saint bernard * snikker *

heh - nice pick up on a classic - mate your gunna need a new shed soon !
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just one question Rod... Why??? Why would you buy that if you aren't gunna do it up???
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking Good Rod.... and yes deffently a change of pace.
Have fun playing with it.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geez!! What a find!!

Awesome dude!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that an MS57 ?
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob,

Mate this one is actually an MS53, the MS57 is the UTE version and the Sedan was an MS55. I actually know of a very clean one owner MS55 that I have been awaiting pictures of but when I saw this I had to have it ! If anyone is Genuinely interest in the MS55 sedan I will pass on your details to the seller.

Rolla Boy,

Mate my favorite "Non Celica" Daily driver I have had to date was my old 1974 MS65 Crown. It was 5 Speed manual and I was its 3rd owner. It was an excellent car for getting to and from work and was a real crusier to drive. Best of all it was easy to work on and towed like a champ. During the house renocations we actually tipped the scales at just over 3 Tonne going into the tip and the car barely knew it was there ! Unfortunatly I had to sell it a little while ago and it has taken me this long to be able to afford to replace it. If I had found a good clean MS65 before this I would have jumped at it but bloody Giant Tomato sent me a picture of the 2 Door coupe in the MS50 series which got me looking at these. The wagon is just to practicle not to jump at and will make the perfect Tow car for the TA22.

And why unmodifeid... Mate with everything else that lives here being constantly played with its really nice to have a simple reliable old cruiser Smile

Mind you if anyone knows where I could get my hands on another one of these (or the 2 Door Coupe) I would be interested Wink

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, nice find. I can see where you are coming from with the reliable cruiser...good to see deep down that the modification spirit lives on though Razz
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh k, it looks great Rod, does it have an electric window in the tailgate?

the 1st car i ever drove was one of them, my old man owned one AGES ago it was a wagon and he reckons it was an MS57E or MS57N something like that hes pretty shure it was a "57" but im not gonna bother arguing over model numbers, anyways, a 2M, column shift with electric rear window, and u could drive it without the key in the ignition hehe.. ahhh the memories..

have a good one and more pics of it would be great!

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't blame me...I didn't do it! hehehe

The wagon I believe had the MS53 designation and the ute was the MS56. The MS57 was an incredibly rare spacecab ute arrangement....I have never seen one (apart from photos) and I have been around a lot of Crowns! I believe the 2 door was the MS51. They mostly came out with 2Ms, except for the Super Deluxe, a series 2 MS55; brought out here for the Toyota execs...4M, 3 speed auto, disc brakes, power windows and antenna (although that came with the radio if ordered from 1960 onwards), air con, power steer, fridge, auto seek radio (FM was an option!)....the list goes on .....not bad for a 1969-70 car.
Of course you could option the 4 cylinder....the 5R. In Japan there were also specials released with the M-B and M-D engines.
The Custom is the best appointed of the wagons....has most of the above features, and even came with a dickie seat in the rear for the smallest of the tribe.

I really must get my MS45 Deluxe up and running.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 August 2002 12:25]

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon7.gif  Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT,

Mate the options list in the manual for the Custom is actually pretty impressive. In 1970 it could have received "seek' AM/FM radio (mine was still optional but is AM only Sad ) Power windows and airconditioning and an electric overdrive 4 speed Auto. Head rests were also an option. Of course I am now on the hunt for all these things Sad

Other options were:

Back Rest, Car cover, Cigarette Lighter, Driver glove, Driver's Kit, Electric Clock, Fender control Light, Fog Lights, Roof Racks, Seat covers, Seat cushions, Ski Rack, Stearing wheel cover, Tire chain, Tyre Pressure Guage, Towing Cable etc.

You may be amused to note that the rear view mirror and heater were also options !

On the plus side the "optional" seat belts are in it and the seek radio is still cool even if I am stuck with the mighty AM.
I'm also blessed with the Disc brake front end and dual circuit master cylinder which is kinda nice Smile

Rob,

Yeah mate Rear window is electric Nod and the column shift Auto took a little getting used to. My biggest problem is the bloody Crossply Tires !! Yep its still got Tyres from the 70's on it and the spare is the original whitewall !

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha thats awesome, i reckon some FJ holden fanatic will snap those tyres from u for a bit of pocket change..

and yeah my old mans also had the electric overdrive...

just a question out of the blue, is it possible to mate the column shift from a 50 series crown to a gearbox that was meant to be floorshift/Tbar?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Wed, 07 August 2002 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well Rod as it happens I have a garden gnome that looks a lot like the 3 speed elecric overdrive box. I have some wiring diagrams too.
Rob, I actually had it in the MS45 and looked at ways to make it a floor shift before abandoning it for a W50. I think with a little creative engineering, one of those Speco floor shift jobbies for a Holden 3 speed would have been the starting point of a beautiful thing. It was a lot of fun...potter along in 2nd or 3rd and then boot it....kick down and merrily cruise away.
The other thing they came with was 'cruise control' - it was a choke cable that attached to the accelerator pedal and held it in place.
All radios had to be an ordered option until 1974...things like TV's and radios were subject to a special tax that was abolished in 1974 so very few cars prior to 1974 actually came out standard with a radio.
The Crowns also came out std with carpet. Well you might laugh, but most cars till the late 60's had vinyl floors. I should add that the Crown was the first car to come out with self cancelling indicators.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Thu, 08 August 2002 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fair enough Rod... I spose I'm in the same boat as you at the moment... I need a car to get around in... But luckily it should be about a month at the latest before mine is going again...
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Thu, 08 August 2002 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob,

Mate I went to look at a 1970 Crown Wagon tonight and it was the base model ie Not the "Custom" guess wht Smile It is a MS57 !! Smile

They are a very different car tailgate open downwards, no centre console, no rear speakers, Spare tyre under the car not in the back different Hubcaps etc etc. They look the same at first but once you start really looking at it theres alot of differences. I didn't realise how lucky I had been until I went and saw this one ! Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Fri, 09 August 2002 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kewl, well there ya go..

anyways have a good one. Rolling
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Fri, 09 August 2002 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod, aren't you glad you got the Custom now? Nod

I thought the MS57 was one of these. I have never seen one so I can't be 100% certain.
http://groups.msn.com/classicrown/196709to197101.m snw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=595
I'm probably wrong. Doh! Sorry for misinformation.

This is my favorite Crown though.
http://groups.msn.com/classicrown/196709to197101.m snw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=444

[Updated on: Fri, 09 August 2002 00:43]

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Fri, 09 August 2002 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT,

Mate I think the difference is designated by the following letter ie MS57 X I didn't look at the letter on the Wagon Sad

The MS57 wagon looks like it has the same body line and tailgate arrangement.

As for the second picture thats the one that got me into this mess Rolling Eyes
toyrota
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Mon, 12 August 2002 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have seen this thing in the flesh at Rod's last week and I would drive it as is any day of the week,it ROCKS.Could do with a shit load of horsepower but leave it stock looking just to shock the shit out of people
Sleepers are cooooooool
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Mon, 12 August 2002 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please wack a killer donk in it.
I wanna see it pull tens!!!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Mon, 12 August 2002 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the guy who runs ekw toyopro spares in east keilor vic has a ute one of these...
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Mon, 12 August 2002 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Someone I know has just got a wagon the same. He says he has a switch on the grill emblem. It looks like wires could go to it, and it is ment to be a switch for something. What option could this have been?

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Mon, 12 August 2002 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonny,

Mate I have the Microfiche set on its way form the States so in 6 weeks or so I should be able to let you know it it was a factory fitted switch. Seems like a strange place for one but you never know.

Grant/Old MR2,

Guys this one will be staying pretty much stock if all goes to plan. However once the show car is finished and Tina's new project is well underway I'd love to get another one to play with Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Mon, 12 August 2002 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We put a Chev 350 in a 4 door sedan (MS55) about 15 years ago, that WAS funny. We left the front drum brakes - bad move.
Also cut the roof off an RS40 (1962 model) and drove it around like that for a week till the cops nearly threw the book at us. TV had been thrown out of a 1st story flat and landed on this Crown's roof - roof was stuffed, rest of the car was perfect. My friend bought it for nicks - we both said it was too good not to drive - I said 'convertible' - he had a 9" grinder - the rest is history!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The Ultimate Grandpa Car ! Mon, 12 August 2002 23:36 Go to previous message
Hahahaha! That is awesome!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:rollcages in ae86's
Next Topic:Rod and Adams TA22's
Goto Forum: