Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboCelica
Regular

August 2002
1ggze V 1ggte Thu, 30 October 2003 05:09 Go to next message
Now i aint going to ask people how to install these engines like most but what i'd like to know is if anyone has driven both, in the same car (eg weight etc)

I bought a 1ggte but was worried it would not give me the "power" i wanted (car was to heavy)

In a RA28 celica, what different characteristics would each engine display (manual)

eg ze faster off the line, ggte more top end?

Of late i have been told often that the 1ggze felt heaps quicker, although well under power next to the 1ggte

any idea's on this topic?
  Send a private message to this user    
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Thu, 30 October 2003 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G series engines were optimised for automatic transmission (like the 7MG), which means they're not that sporty in their power delivery.
people will say that the 1GGZE feels faster because it has a lot more torque at lower revs than the 1GGTE, basically feeling like a six cylinder of about 4.0L thoroughout the rev range, whereas the 1GGTE will feel like a 2.0L six until it comes onto boost.

the factory twins will hold you back, upgrade to a GT2840 or the like and difference will be amazing. people make stupid numbers outta these engines with the right tuning, remember it is built like a toyota Very Happy so you will be able to count on it at dbl the factory output.

i remember a white celica in ZOOM ages ago which ran a 1GGE and a TO4B with 20psi that ran tens all day long, with a hilux diff and a supra 5spd. it took 4 s/h motors worth of experimentation to get there though!!!
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Thu, 30 October 2003 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If we are talking stock or near stock engines go the late 1GGZE. The supercharged engine is excellent for the street and will outpower a GTE in a 0-80 sprint. As rightly stated, more off the line power but less top-end. Most people that bag this engine have never been in a ZE powered Celica and have no idea what it feels like. You can also squeeze more power by fitting an intercooler and bigger crank pulley.

If you have a good budget, then get the best condition 1GGTE you can, sell the stock turbo's and fit a suitably sized single turbo. Even with the factory ecu and injectors this should be a fantastic performer.
Byatch
Regular

October 2003
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Thu, 30 October 2003 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this thread gets two thumbs up!
i was going to ask this question, and then, wow, it's here!

anyway, do the superchargers have huge problems when you buy them?
i mean, do they wear out like turbos?
also, will fitting an intercooler decrease the responsiveness of the supercharger?
cheers
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Fri, 31 October 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overspeeding (overboosting) nipon denso (i think) blowers, ie SC12/14 causes the tips of the rotors to melt, basically.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Fri, 31 October 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah grant has hit the nail on the head there re: the 1GGZE.

that would be my pick anyways. Cool
TurboCelica
Regular

August 2002
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Fri, 31 October 2003 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
backs up what i was thinking. I wont be spending 5K on the engine, I want a nice looker with a stock computer etc that goes!

no race only street.

so the ze will give me the grunt (low down)

Now i will need to get the turbo sump to fit it in a celica... and the motor itself Smile
icebreaker
Newcomer

January 2004
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Mon, 12 January 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about insurance and engineers reports...

I'm in melbourne.

So has anyone done the upgrade in a celica??

What else needed upgrading to take the stock engine??

Dan
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Mon, 12 January 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with going the GZE, while you can get the GTE to produce much more numbers wise, practical around town driving you will always favour the GZE.
And, if the S/C breaks, the car drives like an NA, which you can't do if your turbo's let go in your GTE.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Night_cralwer
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Mon, 12 January 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the gte is the better choice if u willing to change the turbos, inter, etc.
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Mon, 12 January 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I used to have a 1GGZE running 12psi, throttle relocated on to the top of the supercharger and a Injec aftermarket computer in a RA23 Celica and mate it flew it used to pull hard all the way to rev limit 6500. I know this isn't much of a comparison (weight differences etc)but my mate has a 1GGTE gen3 in a Sa63 celica running 12psi and no doubt about it my celica would eat it for breakfast down the Quater not sure after that but.
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Mon, 12 January 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just finished tuning my ra23 1ggte today with an ems computer and 16psi it had 219.2rwhp that with standard turbos and intercooler, so even without changing the turbos or I/C they produce good power but it doesn't come on till about 3500-4000rpm so the gz should have more pull down low.

BEN
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Wed, 14 January 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know whats involved in changing from Gen3 1GGTE to 1GGZE,parts req etc etc.
I like the idea of low down street usable power!!

Cheers Guy Smile
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Wed, 14 January 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you already have the 1G-gte, then you have most of the bits in the car already. Change over your sump and mounts and drop it in.

You will need to re loom it and possibly move the radiator. Then there is always any little things like changing intercooler piping, possibly relocating things like washer bottles, finding somewhere for the coil packs blah blah blah.
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Wed, 14 January 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not that easy. I recently was going to do a swap from a stuffed 1GGZE block to a good 1GGTE block but a number of things were different. The head mount locations for the piping is totally different and the water pump mounting plate is also different. It's not a simple swap over. My advice is to sell the 1GGTE and buy a 1GGZE package if that's what you want.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 January 2004 01:47]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Thu, 15 January 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep I totally agree Grant, I wouldn't bother trying to build a GTE into a GZE, but a complete engine package should be a relatively easy swap.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1ggze V 1ggte Thu, 15 January 2004 00:31 Go to previous message
Another message to say the same thing, but yes, I have looked at a GTE and GZE block side by side and their are enough differences to make it too hard for most of us and just not economically worthwhile - sell your twin turbo GTE and buy a GZE in a front cut.
Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:after advice about plasma cutting
Next Topic:HELP, NOISE on take off.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 05:23:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.082659006118774 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.