Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Orange23
Occasional Poster

July 2003
bonnet hinges Tue, 06 January 2004 07:52 Go to next message
i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find i set of bonnet hinges for my ra23
  Send a private message to this user    
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Tue, 06 January 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't know about australia but in nz you can still buy them new from toyota. they're actually the only part they stock for them though. cost me about $85 nz
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bonnet hinges Wed, 07 January 2004 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man, im kinda interested in some for my celica too,
i bet we could probably get a bit of interest together to do a group purchase of a few sets for the RA2x ..
man id love my bonnet to sit staight and not jump around.. Mad

blackRA28
pclabrat
Regular

November 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Thu, 08 January 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey rxtoy, was that $85 each, or the pair?

I sure wouldn't mind a cure for the dancing bonnet too. There is only so much adjustment before you wonder how thin those worn pins really are.

btw, NZD $85 is about AUD $75 and postage wouldn't be much...
As long as there aren't any issues with tax on foreign purchases.
Orange23
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Thu, 08 January 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has any1 tryed toyota here in aust i just thought they would and if they were that cheap new i would b buyin them nz or aust i just hate the squeaking noise
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Thu, 08 January 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i'll give toyota a call tomorrow, see if they still have them (i did buy them over a year ago), see how much they are (and it was 85 for a pair), and if it's viable i'll try and get a group buy going and send them over to you guys. i actually need a new set myself, one of the bolts that hold the hinge snapped and my hinge twisted when i opened the bonnet and i just can't get it too work right.
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: bonnet hinges Fri, 09 January 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also try rare spares in town i think its the old wolfies, i got a catalogue of celica parts from there, not to sure if they can get bonnet hinges or not though
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Fri, 09 January 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i got an email off to giltrap toyota nz last night requesting price and number available. i was going to ring them today as well but i got busy with trying to sell my RA28 Sad
so far no reply, hopefully on monday cause they're closed on the weekend and it probably won't help my cause for doing a deal if i drag some poor callout guy in to answer my question. i'll update on monday
pclabrat
Regular

November 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Fri, 09 January 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried the rare spares web site, they don't seem to do bonnet hinges.
Sent an email to toyota australia yesterday but no response yet.
Hopefulls for toyo nz
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Mon, 12 January 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i still haven't got a reply from nz toyota, i'll try giving them a call tomorrow but i've just got back to work and we're pretty busy so no guarantees. just putting this up to show i haven't forgotten completely
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: bonnet hinges Mon, 12 January 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dcving, what parts can wolfies get for a TA22? do u stil have the catalogue?
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Thu, 15 January 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got the reply, but they're damn expensive. $91.75 each (nz dollars). the reason the price has gone up so much ($85 a pair last time i got them) is because the last lot i got were in their warehouse and these ones have to be brought in from japan. you'll probably find that toyota australia can get them in for you, if not and anybody's interested at that price (probably around $200 aus including postage), and can handle a 3 week wait from japan and then probably another 1 or 2 weeks to get them over from nz then pm me and i'll see what i can sort out

cheers
Matt
pclabrat
Regular

November 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Thu, 15 January 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy smokes... i like the idea but i'm not prepared to pay that much at the moment. Thanks for doing the research matt
Cheers.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Thu, 15 January 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no worries, i can't afford them either, getting the beast on the road is the first priority. i'm considering bonnet pins, just two at the front and use the normal latch at the back. i don't really like bonnet pins but maybe some subtle ones that just clear the bonnet wouldn't look too bad and the price is pretty good, $25 or so compared to $180 for new hinges. has anybody used these on a R/TA23/8 before, i wouldn't mind seeing a pic if they have. i'm thinking it might actually suit the bonnet, with all the bulges and stuff they wouldn't look too out of place
pclabrat
Regular

November 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Fri, 16 January 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With a steel bonnet IMO it's not a good idea to replace the hinges with pins. with a fibreglass bonnet it's normal to use pins in each corner, due to the flexing, but retaining the hinges (without any lifting springs) adds convenience. with the factory bonnet without the hinges it will be a real PITA every time you have to get someone to help you lift the bonnet off.
And then the legalities of it all..

If you're looking for flush mount bonnet hold downs try the XB falcon gt. They used recessed turn and lock things, nothing poking through and easily available (there's a mob in victoria that supplies all parts for old falcons, they got a website too... just can't remmem their name). But i wouldn't use just pins on the front of a reversed hinged bonnet.

I'm now thinking that i will replace the pivot pins in my worn hinges with stainless set screws and castleated nuts, drilled with split pins, or maybe just lock-wired.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Fri, 16 January 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the pivot pins aren't really my problem, both of my sets of hinges (2 cars, 2 sets Smile ) have twisted rather badly and one of the hinges is seized. i could get it moving again but as many times as i've tried straightening those hinges the bonnet still doesn't lift properly. i'd make a bad design call but i guess something that's lasted 25-30 years in most cases can't be too bad. might just have to use the best ones i've got til i can afford a new set. those turn and lock things you're talking about, are they like the ones you turn 90 degrees with a screwdriver to lock or unlock, you see them on the more expensive body kits sometimes......... they might be a plan if i can come up with nothing else. as for lifting the bonnet, i can take it off by myself, its just finding somewhere to put it down that it doesn't get scratched, and yeah, i guess it would make for a bit of a bitch if you wanted to check your oil and water in the gas station or something,

cheers
Matt
pclabrat
Regular

November 2003
Re: bonnet hinges Fri, 16 January 2004 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't realise your hinges were twisted - found the web page for the ford parts http://www.falcongt.com.au/
It's a bit hard to navigate, the page you want is http://www.fomoco.com.au/XABC_ZFGH.html (price list for XA - XC and same yr fairlanes)
- scroll down til you get to the EXTERIOR parts -

Didn't have time to look for a pic but i'm sure if you email them they will email you one. With these hold downs you don't need any tools to open them. simply push down and turn 90? degrees and they unlock.

i owned an XY with them and i've seen them on heaps of early falcons, some rough ones, so i assume you can probably get them from cheaper parts shops.

Hope this helps.
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: bonnet hinges Fri, 16 January 2004 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alex,
the best thing to do is ring rare spares and ask them, and they will send you out a catalogue.

if i remember there wasnt a great deal of early celica stuff, at the time i was looking for rust replacement panels and didnt take much notice on the other stuff tho
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: bonnet hinges Sat, 17 January 2004 12:43 Go to previous message
Hi guys, these bonnet hinges on 22/23/28s are all starting to get pretty old. The main problem is pins which bind, then the body of the hinge twists. The major cause is lack of lubrication. The hinges can be twisted back into shape, and the pins tightened by a 16oz ballpein hammer, and a solid block of steel. Lube them up with a good dose of engine oil, or a hefty spray with lithium grease. DO NOT use WD40 or any of the other water displacement fluids, they just will not maintain a decent film of libricant for an extended period of time.

The bounce, visible while driving can generally be adjusted out by adjusting the bonnet catch height, the stops at the back corners, and by a twist/bend of the bonnet.

Hope this helps to get someone out of trouble, regards Chuck.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 January 2004 12:46]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Quest 4 Corona
Next Topic:aw11 5stud 5x100mm conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 13:08:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059189796447754 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.