Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Satriani
Newcomer

January 2004

icon14.gif  Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 01:25 Go to next message
Hi, I'm new to these boards and i would like to know if anyone here can help me out with something.
I'm wanting to buy a toyota supra mk2 84-86 model and i cant find any information about these cars on any websites, could someone please give me some specs on this car and if they are reliable or not,

thanks!
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.celicasupra.com They have a buying guide and lists for common rust spots.
white83supra
Regular

March 2003

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just check for rust everywhere, make sure you are getting the twin cam model, check for power steering leaks and get the manual as it is a shit to change from auto to manual later.
Very reliable car. The best looking car on the road for the price.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's no such thing as a "twin cam model" if you're buying a locally-delivered Celica Supra, and I'd be very wary of buying a grey import this old. All local models came fitted with the SOHC 5M-E engine, although you might get lucky and find one that's had a conversion done.

Converting an auto model to manual actually isn't very hard at all if you have any mechanical knowledge. Obviously it's better to buy a manual in the first place if that's what you want, but auto's are far more common so you may find you're restricting yourself too much if you only look at manual cars.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they're a suprisingly reliable car, if taken car of properly.
They're a sexy car, if a little underpowered.

If you're anything like norbie or me, the stock motor wont be enough, and you'll start looking for 300+bhp Smile
white83supra
Regular

March 2003

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=draven wrote on Tue, 13 January 2004 18:58]they're a suprisingly reliable car, if taken car of properly.
They're a sexy car, if a little underpowered.

Of course underpowered means in a straight line it will beat just about any N/A 4cyl and also most 6cyl commodores and falcons. It will sit all day on 140+ Kmh and not even break a sweat.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep
hence underpowered

when it sits on 200km/hr all day and doesn't break a sweat, and can take almost anything except 500cc+ bikes, then it's fast enough Smile

edit: only ever been beaten by an Audi RS4 (TT 2.7L awd), a ducatti 996, and another bike

[Updated on: Tue, 13 January 2004 08:32]

white83supra
Regular

March 2003

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when it sits on 200km/hr all day and doesn't break a sweat, and can take almost anything except 500cc+ bikes, then it's fast enough Smile

hey stop torturing us old guys with huge mortgages Sad

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pft
I'm a poor student - just a single poor student
white83supra
Regular

March 2003

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarassed
did I mention my money black hole, posing as a recording studio
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heheh
all my friends are into either playing, recording, producing or managing music, so I know what that's like Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 13 January 2004 14:57

There's no such thing as a "twin cam model" if you're buying a locally-delivered Celica Supra, and I'd be very wary of buying a grey import this old. All local models came fitted with the SOHC 5M-E engine, although you might get lucky and find one that's had a conversion done.

You mean you'd be wary of a grey import?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Tue, 13 January 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or you can do really crazy shit with them, like pull the 2.8L turd out ad replace it with a v8 Smile
And it will handle and perform like it was meant to be in it...i hope Laughing
Satriani
Newcomer

January 2004

Re: Toyota Supra Mk2 Wed, 14 January 2004 07:42 Go to previous message
cool, thanks for all your help guys
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:EPA!
Next Topic:Changing steering wheel for AE86
Goto Forum: