Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bmak
Regular

May 2002

fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 01:39 Go to next message
I'm trying to work out where to mount a surge tank & EFI pump on my KE70.

Already mounted the lift pump & there isnt much room for anything else. Was think of putting the EFI pump half way up the car but there still isnt much room for the surge tank.

What have other people done?
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engine bay
boot (not liftback)
under car near fuel tank.

each setup has its pros and cons

engine bay:
pros - room easy to get to
cons - hot fuel, if tank rupture there is more chance of it igniting

boot:
pros - room easy to get to
cons - can sometimes smell into the cabin, unless covered it can get in the way of putting things in the boot.

under car:
pros - its out of the way and where it should be
cons - no room DOH!

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is a pic when i used to run a surge tank

look on the right hand side of the picture behind the strut tower and in front of the wiper motor is the surge tank.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rsturzen/1G%20conv%2015.jpg

it worked fine and was totally legal (engineered) but im still glad i got rid of it for a factory MA45 EFI setup.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had surge tank and pumps in the engine bay. Not an ideallic setup by my standards but it worked. I'll be ditching that setup in favour of an custom in tank setup.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f820c22_14776/bc/RA-28+Engine+Install/__sr_/18R-GEU+surge+tank+location.jpg?phF9gAABltCk0Tfn
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f820c22_14776/bc/RA-28+Engine+Install/__sr_/18R-GEU+Intake+from+AFM.jpg?phF9gAABDEG1KVKV
This was my old setup the lift pump is under the coil in the second pic, and the hi pressure pump is under the AFM next to the surge tank.
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not much room around the back of a KE70 sedan, had enough trouble mounting the lift pump.

Cant put it the boot cause its already full of stereo stuff.

dont like the idea of having it in the engine bay.

What do people usually do on a AE86? pretty much the same floor as a KE70.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with AE86 its the same dilemma

cant put it in floor cause of space issues
cant put it in boot cause its a liftback

if you dont like the idea of it in the engine bay you may have to consider a custom baffled tank and intank efi pump.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone heard of some foam bricks revolution racegear sell to put in the tank to stop sloshing?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, i also hear they suit race applications but not street as they eventually discombobulate and cause all sorts of trouble.

best to ask how long they would last if you were to buy.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 January 2004 05:03]

purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone have any diagrams of what an intank baffle looks like. I have a spare tank that im going to modify for intank efi.

Brad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brad, i'm having similar thoughts with the KE15. they are pretty similar (in that i welded a KE10 spare tyre well into a KE70 Razz heh heh).
my thoughts so far are to run an intank pump in a surge tank. location will either be beside the tank (iffy due to space), or to weld a 'drop-box' into the boot floor on the drivers side of the wheel well.

i have a holley/walbro MX5 pump which measures 4cm dia, and 13cm long. the plan was to have a staino tank made up that was about 10x10x20cm (LxWxH) and mount the pump in there, in a slightly bigger box welded into the boot floor.

this gives me a surge pot volume of about 1.8L, is fully protected since it is shielded from rocks and you could have the fuel lines coming from in the car (under a bolted on or welded in channel, i like the latter), or under the car (not keen). there is just enough space for me to put it in between the wheel well and the leaf springs, but i'm sure you have a bit more space back there...

Cya, Stewart

as far as baffles go, the KE10 has a single central baffle, which doesn't work so well.. XF falcons have an intank surgepot of sorts...

shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~shindeokure/mypic7.jpg

thats how my 86 is set up.. all in the engine bay. i will mount bosch pump properly when i find a mount.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you're worried about the smell and the possibility of knocking it when it's in the boot, just mount it in a battery box.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the best place is in the tank, for the KE70 get a sprinter tank, theres plenty around, get an AE82 fuelpump and bracket, lengthen by about 45mm. remove KE tank and take the neck off, block up the auxilary breather, cut the neck just above the wide fitment (youll see what i mean) on the ae86 tank... match the rubber of the KE and the AE neck together, make sure you align the 3 screws at the top before you put it in ., place the pump in the tank facing towards the passenger side to help with surge. make sure you use efi hose to replace the old hose onto the steel lines.

bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The in tank idea does sound a little better(pity ive already got everything).

I assume the AE86 tank is different & thats why you cant do this to a KE70 tank.

Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have thought this also and I have decided to make new filler-neck and surge-tank combination. Surge tank will be around filler-neck. Hole in top of surge tank to neck will work as a fuel return. I can use original return pipe for return from fuel pressure regulator. This and both pumps will fit will fit behind rock hit shield in the mud guard, at least in my application.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shindeokure wrote on Mon, 12 January 2004 18:09

thats how my 86 is set up.. all in the engine bay. i will mount bosch pump properly when i find a mount.

Love the sun shade cold air intake Smile
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Mon, 12 January 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an ae82 pump. Can it be run without baffles in an ae86 tank. Does someone know where i can gat a baffle installed in my thank in Melbourne. What should it look like?

Brad
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Mon, 12 January 2004 23:47

shindeokure wrote on Mon, 12 January 2004 18:09

Love the sun shade cold air intake Smile

i thought those electric pusher pumps had to be (nearly) below the bottom level of the fuel tanks as they can't suck petrol up to great heights?

so if i had set it up like shindeokure, i would have mounted to the chassis rail
so intake height was low - relative to tank height.

shindeokure: does the low pressure pump ever starve when the tank is low?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I assume the AE86 tank is different & thats why you cant do this to a KE70 tank.

actually theyre almost identical, except for two features, one is the filler necks, but primarily the return breather in the necks are different, this is the easy thing to fix.

main issue is (unless you can cut and weld then this wouldnt be an issue) that if you use the AE82 intank pump bracket (recommended) then the hole where it goes into the KE70 tank is way too small... but the AE 86 is an exact fit, so for me it was easier to swap the two tanks and do the filler neck mod. I spose seeing as i only did it a few days ago i should have taken a few pics Sad .... but laying on a hot concrete floor getting pissed off with dirt falling in my eyes really diddnt bring the thought of photos to mind LOL
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a EFI sprinter tank, and thus a spare carby tank if anyone wants it.

I did take the liberty to take a picture of the baffels in the tank, but the camera was whiped ;( Ill describe it anyways, its pretty simple

Where the pickup is there is a square baffle about 8cm high and about the same squre. The way it gets fuel into this square is by a ~12mm L shaped tube that connects through the base of baffle on the right hand side, the tube then exits and faces the rear of the car/tank.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the same lines

will an ae82efi pump fit an ae86 efi tank bolt in?
its on an import ae86

shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i thought those electric pusher pumps had to be (nearly) below the bottom level of the fuel tanks as they can't suck petrol up to great heights?

i was told that by 2-3 different wreckers while trying to source out a lift pump.. even my mechanic told me that it wouldn't work. it came off an 85' mazda 626 but to my luck it seems to be an aftermarket facet pump. i tested it while holding the pump above the car and it sucked fuel from the rear tank Rolling Eyes

i've never had any fuel starvation problems, even after constant abuse.. in fact, last time i checked, the tank was full. it is a bit overkill for a standard engine, but hey.. if i ever decide to drop a 600hp motor in then i'll be right for fuel Very Happy

the good side to it is that it is easy to set up, the bad side is that you sometimes get that annoying "tappeting" noise from the engine bay on hot days.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An ae82 pump fits into an ae86 tank i have one sitting in a spare tank now.
The output line needs to b bent a little and has a bigger id.

Brad
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol.. the sunshade thing is temporary. i need to get the extractors coated because its causing very high temps under the bonnet.
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another question

what are people doing with fuel lines on there EFI conversions?

I was thinking of just zip tying rubber EFI hose to the standard fuel line.

Any1 used the standard fuel lines? would they cope with a standard 4AGE?
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahahahhahaa.. zip tie? you mean cable ties?
use proper efi hose clamps, especially with the high pressure end.. unless you want your car to catch on fire. plus, make sure you use loctite type sealants on screw in fittings because they DO leak.

i used all standard lines.. but thats because i have a secondary tank in the engine bay.
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe

i meant run the EFI hose the full length of the car not substitute hose clamps with the ties.

Just using the ties to secure the hose.

That EFI hose is pretty expensive but has to be easier that running steel line.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys

let me get this rite
i got a sprinter aus spec carb model with 4ac
i can take my tank out and put a ae82 efi fuel pump straight in
then get some baffels put in to stop surging..??????

purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Youll have to lengthen the bracket to put the pump on the floor of the tank. There is a rubber on the bottom of the pump that sits on the tank floor. Pretty simple job compared to installing the baffles.

Brad
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Tue, 13 January 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Standard fuel lines will be fine for a 4age. Only need larger if going for serious power.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: fuel pump location Wed, 14 January 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

That EFI hose is pretty expensive but has to be easier that running steel line

actually its easier and cheaper to run steel lines if you want to upgrade the lines properly, about $30 for 6 metres of line, $20 for a small pipe bender from Supercheap, take off the full line set, seperate the return line which is the smallest, copy the bends using the tool and by hand, fit it back up. only takes a few hours.

the standard lines are more than adequate for a 4AGE in any case, swap the return for the breather as the breather is a bigger diameter than the return for some obscure reason
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: fuel pump location Wed, 14 January 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FKN16V was kind enough to point me in the right direction- the VN 3.8l tank is very similar to the AE-86 tank, go down to the local metal fab place and get them to install the guts from the Commonwhore tank into your Sprinter tank. Viola! Baffles & an EFI pump thats going to supply more fuel than a 1.6l N/A is ever going to drink.
Drift_AE71
Regular

October 2003
Re: fuel pump location Sun, 01 February 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am in the same delima with my ae71 atm
i have decided to mount everything in the boot feed line out of the tank i have cut a hole in the boot floor and ran the rubber hose thru it into the fuel filter then into the vl turbo fuel pump then back thru another hole into the steel line that runs to the motor.

its 5/16 feed so i had to step it up to 3/8 to suit the vl pumps feed,then it goes back to 5/16 all the way to the motor.

not running a carbon canister so i have removed that and all bits that run to it.
usin the stock return line,i just cut the ends off it coz it steps down to smaller than 5/16.
so hopefully it all works ok
also someone was telling me my car wont run without a fuel press reg??
i have the stock one on the fuel rail so it should be ok?
the guy that told me this worked in a parts store so i think he was just trying to get more of my project monies

cheers matt
tufke70
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: fuel pump location Wed, 26 January 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a couple of options for the pump at least... in a mate ke70 we took the tank out and found more than enough room to tuck a goss pump and regulator up beside the tanknear the fuel filler,and in my case i fitted a vl turbo pump straight to the boot floor and never let the tank get too empty... simple, cheep, and have had no problems with either of them Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel pump location Wed, 26 January 2005 12:22 Go to previous message
I have a feeling the issue has been resolved by now, considering the thread is 12 months old. Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[AE86] foglights
Next Topic:1.3 4k mod help.....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 12:03:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.1308741569519 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.