Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Speed Limits on Roundabouts Thu, 15 January 2004 14:12 Go to next message
There's a lot of roundabouts in my town. I'm just wondering what the speed limits would be. Common sense says that the speed limit on the roundabout should be the same as the limit on the road you used to enter the roundabout. Now, the roundabout I'm interested in is fairly large, and all entry roads are posted at 60km/h. Taking the roundabout at 60 is quite possible, you can even stay in the correct lane- in my Sprinter, anyway. Does anyone know what the laws are? I'm pretty sure the cops would be pretty pissed off if they saw me do it, but do they have a legal leg to stand on if I can prove my ability to take that roundabout consistently at a given speed without intefering with other traffic?
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Thu, 15 January 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I'm sure they could pin you for dangerous driving, or driving with intent to harm or something, and if you squeal the tyres, it will be disturbing the peace etc etc

If they want to, they will get you on something
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Thu, 15 January 2004 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And lighting up their lights and turning on their sirens isn't disturbing the peace?
Who's peice anyway? Trucks make a shitload more noise than most cars CAN make, no matter how much you gun the engine/squeal the wheels.
Hrm... I suppose cops are just the arm of the law, not the brain. Can't blame them. Well... mostly.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Thu, 15 January 2004 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, well, but remember, those trucks are in standard form, and they passed all testing when they were new, therefore, they can't be booked for it.
Plus, they are in a different class to car (regarding emmisions, noise etc etc)

But I get what you are saying, and I agree
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Thu, 15 January 2004 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand that trucks need to be louder and more powerful to haul cargo... but wait, screw what I just said. In Victoria we used to use Trains. Trains are efficient, with low environmental impact, and are not dangerous to road users (well except retarded ones). But some study or other (probably funded by Lindsy Fox) found that using Semitrailers instead would be cheaper for everyone involved. Of course, when they did this study they didn't take into account the cost of repairing the roads that the trucks drive on, whereas they DID include the full cost of maintaining the railway lines (and I'm sure they did many other tricky things like that). Anyway, the Vic government gave the go ahead and now we have all these dirty loud dangerous semi-trailers hooning about killing people.

And then the Police get upset when someone squeals their tires a little bit, or has a air venting Blow of Valve (I have never EVER heard a BOV that was louder than the air breaks - or whatever they are - on those semitrailers). Bah I say... BAH!

Fuck it, put us all on Ethanol/Methanol then we wont have to worry about air pollution (just noise pollution). Then bring back freight Trains!

How many people get killed every year by trucks?
How many people get killed every year in street drags? I think you will find that trucks cause more fatalities, even though illegal drag racing can attract a lot of people who shouldn't be allowed out in public let alone behind the wheel of a car.
... I don't really know what that has to do with anything, but I'm tired... so yeah.

I think I'll stop now before my eyeballs roll out onto the floor and my brain seeps out the new holes in my face.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Thu, 15 January 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Around here, we've got lots of roundabouts in 80 zones. I drive 90 in the straights and through the roundabouts.

Cops *do* try to hassle you if you take a roundabout too quickly, but they can't do shit to you. I've had cops see me take roundabouts and pull me over, but they just normally check your rego and licence and maybe breath test you.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Thu, 15 January 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as you're not going out of your lane, not sliding around and not going more than the speed limit, I do believe they can't do squat...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Thu, 15 January 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. As long as you're not doing anything stupid, squealing tyres or anything like that.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Thu, 15 January 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think someone needs to go for a drive in a truck to see who the real fools are!

Allan
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If there are give way signs at the roundabout don't you have to slow down to an almost stop before you enter the intersection? If you cruise through a roundabout without slowing down, i reckon they will claim dangerous driving because another car could enter the intersection that you need to give way to but can't due to your speed.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 10:57

I think someone needs to go for a drive in a truck to see who the real fools are!

Allan

Is that to say that people who drive trucks are not as dangerous or loud as I think they are?
Perhaps us fools who like a little bit of speed are more dangerous than trucks, but I don't think anyone can say that a train is more dangerous than a truck.
However, that still doesn't change my point about trucks being noisy.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 11:09

If there are give way signs at the roundabout don't you have to slow down to an almost stop before you enter the intersection?

No.
One of the few things that I remember from my driving instructor was that he said you should slow down as little as possible at a roundabout.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 15:00

SIMDOG wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 11:09

If there are give way signs at the roundabout don't you have to slow down to an almost stop before you enter the intersection?

No.
One of the few things that I remember from my driving instructor was that he said you should slow down as little as possible at a roundabout.

Quite right, but if you are going 60km/h then how can you give way to other cars that are coming from side streets if you can't stop? It all depends on the side street visability. ie: how built up it is.

And, no one else does 60km/h through roundabouts. You'll run up the arse of someone.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It does depend on the roundabout, if it is boarded by fences or thick bushes its probably best to slow down. In theroy you can take a roundabout at the speed limit with no problems, however if for example someone didn't have their indicator on as they go round, you may figure they are going straight ahead, but then they could turn left and pull out infront of you if you were doing 60 you have less change of stoping in time.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't say you shouldn't stop. I said you slow down as little as possible.
If you have the visibility to see all entrances of the roundabout (and all roundabouts I can think of are like this) and see that there's not traffic to give way to, then why should you slow down and cause traffic congestion?
I hate people that do that, they should learn to look more than 2m in front of their cars.
Roundabouts are meant to alleviate traffic, not cause traffic jams.

SIMDOG wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 15:04

And, no one else does 60km/h through roundabouts. You'll run up the arse of someone.

That's just a stupid comment.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its called driving defensively for the given conditions

You cant see something, slow down, if all is clear, go forth, if someone looks like they may pull infront of you, be prepared
etc

etc

etc
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what im talking about, obviously if there is no trafic and visibility is good there is nothing wrong with goind roundabouts at the posted speed limit.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

That's just a stupid comment.

I know, I was going to edit that out... couldn't be fucked. It was intended to mean that you shouldn't be driving too much faster than the traffic.

And when you say slow as little as possible it is totally subject to the situation. Weather/visibility/speed of other cars etc... Sometimes you have to stop sometimes no braking is required. Sometimes doorifto is in order. Razz
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything that doesn't turn the car over as you bounce off it Very Happy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 10:10

Allan wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 10:57

Allan

Is that to say that people who drive trucks are not as dangerous or loud as I think they are?
Perhaps us fools who like a little bit of speed are more dangerous than trucks, but I don't think anyone can say that a train is more dangerous than a truck.
However, that still doesn't change my point about trucks being noisy.

I think you'll find he was refering to car divers who take unneccessary risks around trucks, like pulling in front of them as the stop for traffic lights. I once saw a Kombi nearly become a truck sandwich as he pulled in front of an unlaiden semi on a down hill straight - the semi locked up all rear wheels and stopped about 2 feet from the back of the Kombi, who had himself pulled up short to stay in the shade of a tree.

with regard to roundabout speeds, not everyone is expecting 60Km/h through a roundabout - it becomes good sense to slow to an appropriate speed to allow other road users to evaluate your movements, as I'm sure we're all aware, everyone has a different idea on the correct procedure, and right of way in these road features. Lets not forget the feeling we've all had while in a roundabout, as we watch an oncoming car at speed - wondering if they're going to stop?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you said "Lets not forget the feeling we've all had while in a roundabout...", I thought the next line was going to be "and the arse kicks out, and you swing it perfectly around" or some such Razz
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, CLG, I see. Smile
Yeah I have seen some dick heads do some really fucking stupid stuff. When I'm driving in traffic I always make sure I give the trucks plenty of stopping distance. A lot of the time I get stuck behind stupid slow ass Berina's and Commonwhores (like my mother) rather than pulling out in front of a truck (who probably could stop in time, but I ain't gonna risk it). And if you have ever driven with me (and none of you have so... yeah) you'll know how much I fucking HATE taking 300m just to get to the speed limit (especialy when the limit is 60).

So yeah, I gun it at the lights, but it's a courtesy to drivers behind me. I'm doing my bit to keep the roads un-congested! Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ha ha ha! I called it a Commonwhore. I meant to say Commodore. Laughing Laughing
Commonwhore seems more appropriate. Very Happy
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Fri, 16 January 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 18:39

when you said "Lets not forget the feeling we've all had while in a roundabout...", I thought the next line was going to be "and the arse kicks out, and you swing it perfectly around" or some such Razz

os something like ... when we proceed to circle the entire roundabout with rear wheels furiously smoking, the vehicle held at a tangent to the marked lines and an ear-to-ear to grin on our face...

Cool
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Sat, 17 January 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers guys, you've put my mind at rest. Now, off to practice those lurid, smoking slides Very Happy
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Sat, 17 January 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i was 18 doing my driving test for my p's i failed my first attempt casue i stopped at a round about.... i couldnt see past bushes on the side of the road so i slowed right down and stopped at the giveway sign and he failed me for stopping at a giveway sign not processing though it casue there was no traffic... but i couldnt see if there was traffic...

*sigh*
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Speed Limits on Roundabouts Sun, 18 January 2004 03:37 Go to previous message
That sucks dude,
bloody RTA always looking for a reason to fail you.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Summernats anyone??
Next Topic:Highest have pushed a 4ac Sprinter (rev & top-speed wise)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 16:14:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.015949010848999 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.