Toymods » General Car Talk » Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

icon9.gif  Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Mon, 12 January 2004 05:59 Go to next message
Howdy all,

well iv just replaced the turbo om my MA70 and i noticed that the bottom cooler pipe that goes on to the turbo is a bit cracked around the top and kinda needs replacing.

so i called Toyota today, my local Toyota and gave them the part number on the sticker thats still on there, and they said holy sh*t, u really wanna know the price, and i said yeh, and he said it was $278! for about a foot long bit of rubber! so i said umm.. never mind, thanks anyway and hung up, then i called another Toyota dealer in the next major town from us, and they said $220 for it. which is a bit cheaper but still not worth getting thats for sure.

How can the price be almost $60 difference and their both Toyota dealers!?!

anyway, does anyone else know where i could find one of these pipes? or could maybe get it cheaper through Toyota?
its the piece that goes on to the metal bend at the bottom, and then up to the turbo.
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Mon, 12 January 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take it off, go to autobarn and get the same, would be HEAPS cheaper!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Mon, 12 January 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you weld? make up some steel pipes and use short lengths of silicon hose to join it onto the turbo and intercooler

Allan
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Mon, 12 January 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought about that, but didnt think they would have that kinda stuff, does raditor hose/pipe come that big?
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Mon, 12 January 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
official toyota stuff is damn expensive. I got quoted over 200 dollars for a starter moter for my 18r
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Mon, 12 January 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good point allan, i can only arc and oxy weld, i'll get a mate to mig it for me come to think of it, he done my last cooler pipes for a slab Very Happy
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Mon, 12 January 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyota prices are tame compared to mazda... Trying to buy a brand new part is like being a dragged through a pit of hot burning beads.

mazda = about 50% more expenisve than other manufacturers (toyota, nissan).
rotary = about another 100% more (we'll just shaft em cause they drive a rotor).
In the end it's a bloody big rippoff.

Don't believe me?
a series 6 alternator costs about 1k.
same as an interior door panel.
sunroof panel costs about 500...
but they forget to mention that it doesn't come with the rubber, which costs $270!!!...

And a factory stereo unit for a Series 4 GT-X special rx7 costs... wait for it..... $5999.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Mon, 12 January 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Series 1,2,3 13B Fan belt, $8 genuine, lasts foreva
Bosche aftermarket replacement, $16, lasts a few weeks
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Tue, 13 January 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a mitsubishi, get over it, i charged a customer $123 for a brake light switch for a NG pajero today
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Tue, 13 January 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I needed a new petrol float for the sprinter I rang up toyota and I was told that I was better off finding a second hand one because the price was crazy. The salesman told me this and anyway I decided to ask anyway and it came to $320 odd bucks. The second hand one for $50 did the job and all works well. Its a bit on and off because some parts are really cheap and others are expensive.
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Tue, 13 January 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its just all high way robbery

but i think genuine stuff is always one of the best, if not the best cos at leasts its definitely made for what your buying it for.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Tue, 13 January 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A new MX83 Grande LSD is $3300. A second hand one with a warranty is $400 from wreckers.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Tue, 13 January 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Car manufactures make very little on new cars. The market is pretty competitive. Part are a necessary evil of owning a car so thats where they make their money. You can still get series 1 12a rotor housings from Mazda. I think that its pretty cool they are supporting such an old engine.

Brad
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Tue, 13 January 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
95% of things are ludicrously priced, but some things are amazingly cheap. Eg a fuel line for my old Corolla was - I shit you not - $4.20

I also enquired about the same part for my Supra.. and was equally astounded by the pricing.

FWIW every dealer has a right to charge whatever markup they like, but I'd say that TOyota would crack down on anyone who is profiteering too heavily.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Tue, 13 January 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philmelvin wrote on Tue, 13 January 2004 19:02

get a mitsubishi, get over it, i charged a customer $123 for a brake light switch for a NG pajero today

What are you talking about? I own a 1992 Lancer. $5 each for little plastic clips in my boot. I need about 10 of them.
To get a new clutch cable for the car (yeah, cable clutch sucks) cost me $112 from Mitsubishi. New air filter (carby) cost me $60!!!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Tue, 13 January 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I purchased a full vrs kit for my ma70 - $508 dealer price
$628 rrp

Timing belt was only $48 though Confused
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Wed, 14 January 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Purchased some 80 Series Landcruiser Studs yesterday from Toyota as the ones from speed shops were dodgy looking and couldn't get enough - $6.95 each vs $9.00 from the speed shops.

Sometimes the quality can be better from a genuine perspective.

Cheers

Michael B
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Wed, 14 January 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 13 January 2004 23:22

$628 rrp

I paid $280 thru REPCO for a full 7MGTE VRS kit.
I asked for trade (trade order sheet from my mechanic) and when i went in to pay for it, I was served by a different guy, and the first fella must have written down he cost price, cause i was quoted $450 for it... Very Happy
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Wed, 14 January 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

New air filter (carby) cost me $60!!!

Go to any Autobarn and you'll get the same thing for 1/3 of the price. Mine was $22 for my Mark II, and it's not exactly a common car.

If you buy an air filter from a dealer then you're a twit and deserve to get ass-raped on price.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Wed, 14 January 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvrolla wrote on Wed, 14 January 2004 12:37

V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 13 January 2004 23:22

$628 rrp

I paid $280 thru REPCO for a full 7MGTE VRS kit.
I asked for trade (trade order sheet from my mechanic) and when i went in to pay for it, I was served by a different guy, and the first fella must have written down he cost price, cause i was quoted $450 for it... Very Happy

That would've been an acl kit - you can get a whole engine rebuild kit for $600 for a 7m..
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Fri, 16 January 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old school parts are damn expensive, but in saying that the storage costs for 30 odd years has got to be pretty huge too.

i priced up a series 1 rx7 bumper a few years back, the metal bit, the indicators, the indicator housings, the rubber end bits and the mounts? $2500. i ended up getting a full nose cut for $250 with a straight as bumper, too bad it was this putrid yellow colour but i figured i could afford to paint it for the $2250 savings i made.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Sat, 17 January 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=rxtoy wrote on Fri, 16 January 2004 23:50]old school parts are damn expensive, but in saying that the storage costs for 30 odd years has got to be pretty huge too.
[\quote]

its not like they have a warehouse just for old school shit that is locked and they open it every so often.

in the zupps warehouse for mits and holden here in bris, the place is like 100m long by 50m and has a mezanine too, and we have all old shit there too
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Sat, 17 January 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you guys think about toyota oil filters? I'm sure they'd be better quality than ryco.. but.. i can get oil and filter (ryco and titan gt plus) for the price of a toyota filter, hmm......

truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Wed, 21 January 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
door hinges ae86, unpainted in primer

top $89.36

bottom $64.72

it think not!!

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota parts prices, bloody outrages Wed, 21 January 2004 04:45 Go to previous message
I was quoted $185 for a 2JZ-GTE water pump. I also needed the pulley for the water pump. Toyota quoted $185 just for the pulley! I ended up getting one custom made from one of the legends on this forum for $70.

It's a shame the prices are so rediculous.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:JMS Drift Day 5 - Results and comments
Next Topic:7mgte forgies
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 17:30:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.030328989028931 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.