Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Phat535
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Diff Conversion for AE71 Wed, 21 January 2004 07:30 Go to next message
heya guys, new to this site and to corolla's or toyota's in general for that matter

I'm about to stick a 4AGZE into my AE71 daily driver
but the diff is getting a little noisy so I figure I may as well upgrade the diff before doing the conversion

are there any straight bolt up diffs for an AE71 station wagon that are stronger than standard? .... if not, what's the easiest diff conversion that will handle a 'spiritedly' driven stock 4AGZE?

thanks in advance
Dave
  Send a private message to this user    
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Diff Conversion for AE71 Wed, 21 January 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i heard the Ae86 one will, if not maybe a hilux or skyline diff would be a good conversion
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: Diff Conversion for AE71 Wed, 21 January 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86 will bolt in and if you find the right one you'll get rear discs and an lsd. good diff's as long as you're not going insane with horsepower. don't know about Aussie but they're fairly hard to find in nz and fairly expensive when you do find them
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Diff Conversion for AE71 Wed, 21 January 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. 8 bolt aus spec diff - drum brakes, stronger than the stock diff but not very strong Laughing mine broke after about 2weeks with locked centre and a 4age infront of it. if you keep it a single spinner it shouldnt brake dont quote me on that tho.

OR

2. 10 bolt japspec ae86/te71 - disc brakes, and might be lucky to get a lsd, diff stronger than aus diff

OR

3. 10 bolt T18 diff - drum brakes, as strong as japspec diff

All these diffs bolt up and can handle more power than your stock one

[Updated on: Wed, 21 January 2004 09:28]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff Conversion for AE71 Wed, 21 January 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Few minor points I thought I might add:

AE71 wagon/panel van has got leaf springs at the back, therefore an AE86 rear end WON'T bolt in! Good news is that leaf springs make siff conversions generally pretty easy...

T-type (ae86) LSD's are generally unreasonably overpriced, hard to find and weak as piss anyway. Leave them for those that insist on them...

I'd suggest you start looking at diff conversions, which can mean anything from Hilux, Bogwarmer(commodore/falcon/R31 skyline), Nissan stuff (there's a few options there) or whatever else takes your fancy!

I guess the most relevant question to ask is, how much can you afford to spend Evil or Very Mad
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Diff Conversion for AE71 Fri, 27 February 2004 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin is right no sprinter diff would fit. I have an AE71 and I put in a Panel van diff, its normally heaps stronger than the factory glass one and its also a 4.1 instead of a 3.9 ratio by memory. You can get the right tailshaft to suit, I just had the joke machined as it was pretty close.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff Conversion for AE71 Sat, 28 February 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Next issue: munched T50's Shocked
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Diff Conversion for AE71 Sat, 28 February 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am going to see how I go with just doing the disposable gearbox method. T50s are so easy to change (relativly speaking) and pretty cheap too so I think I will break a few before I think about doing somehting about it.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff Conversion for AE71 Sun, 29 February 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just suggesting that you might want to do something about it FIRST. Yes, T50s are easy to change, but once you break a few, you'll have all the little I-love-Toyota gimps after you with fangs out Evil or Very Mad Besides, it'll cost just as much to do something about it NOW as it will LATER Shocked
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Diff Conversion for AE71 Sun, 29 February 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah their a bit funny like that! I sure am glad they dont mind too much about the standard AE71 diffs of else I would be in their black book! I will need number 6 soon...

I have a spare T50 I bought for $50 I will see how long I can run with my current one and my spare then I will consider my options. As far I know the only option is a Supra box with a very dodjy dellows kit, not something I really want to do.

mrshin do you think its possible to make a T50 last if theres no clutch dumps in an 86 with a 4AGTE making over 150Kw?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff Conversion for AE71 Sun, 29 February 2004 02:43 Go to previous message
Well, I had a 4AG that was, at the time, only making 140 at the wheels, and I'd been trying to treat the box with reasonable kindness, but it only took a few weeks for all the teeth to disappear off of 2nd gear. As for using a W box, that's what I'm doing. I'm using the DellHousing(!), and after much brutal agression, have pretty much worked out all the issues with the bugger of a thing, including discovering one advantage - I can mount my starter on the intake side! Whereabouts you live? Mines out on the floor at the moment, you're welcome to come take a look sometime..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SR20t -> RA28, is it as easy as it looks?
Next Topic:3S-GE project
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 23:39:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005267858505249 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.