Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 22 January 2004 23:33 Go to next message
OK, so search revealed some results, but, still got a few things that need answering/wondering if people know.

Seems I've gone disk brake mad of late.

Have come to the conclusion that I really don't want to swap my diff over to something else (as I'm only running a 100kw motor and not interested in helies or linies or any other driveline destroying material) so want to pilfer/use disk brakes from something else to suit the TA22 diff...

Theres a writeup in the articles section on here which uses R?T151 (i think its meant to be ST141?) avanti rear discs (these diffs from memory are bogwarmer diffs, 23 spline i think)

When mounting up all this gear off the bogwarmer diff to the TA diff the shock mounts have to be moved inward of a few mm - fine with that.

How are the calipers held to the diff casing? Is there a plate which bolts to the axle tube end that holds the caliper in place?

Aside from needing a larger master cylinder, and brake bias adjustment can anyone see any issues with running slightly larger rear brakes (280mm, single pot caliper) vs my fronts which are 266mm 4 pot hilux jobbies...

Just interested in folks feedback here...

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 22 January 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This helps somewhat too :

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=20130&rid=664&S=8d075a12d69f6173d30d4409 2d5c2165&pl_view=&start=0#msg_165045

Is the RT141/2 diff a BW diff? Anyone?
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Fri, 23 January 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have all u need exept the calipers if you are interested
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Fri, 23 January 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be interested in this too, as I now have in my possession a TA22 diff to fit in my KE35 (well, it's currently set up for a KE25 so I need to move the spring mounts out about 10mm)
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Fri, 23 January 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks alex_ta22 - i pick up my rt142 diff tommorrow. complete with everything. thanks anyway.

fook - read here mate : http://www.toymods.org.au/xA2x_rear_discs.html
that should be a good starter for you.

the rt142 diff is a BW item FWIW
aside from changing the unis and maybe shortening the tailshaft rumour has it, it will bolt in, in place of my TA22 diff.

something i didn't know is that the corona AVANTE's come with R series engines with EFI not S series engines....really didn't know this...

see how we go i spose.

hey fook, i'll PM you mate

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sat, 24 January 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well here is the diff. picked it up this morning.

http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/diff/diff002.jpg

http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/diff/diff001.jpg

http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/diff/diff003.jpg

interestingly the RT142 diff is 1415mm from face to face (where the wheels bolt to the rotor.

and definately YES the TA22 rear shock mounts will need to be moved considerably INWARD to clear the caliper arrangement
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sat, 24 January 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The TA22 diff is about 1370mm from hub to hub isn't it? Diff looks pretty funky... Like a diff with discs Razz
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sat, 24 January 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havent measured it yet fook, but, from what i gather yes it is 1370...

and yes, funny that, its a diff with disc brakes Very Happy

[Updated on: Sun, 25 January 2004 04:17]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sun, 25 January 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will all pretty much bolt on. You will need to use the bearing retainer fron the corona diff to account for the different thickness off the backing plate. It should be the same bolt pattern, it's just a pain in the ass to press the old bearing a seal off and put a new one on. Do not re-use the collars, throw them away and get new ones.

The shock mount may need to be moved, you might want to bolt it all together and double check before you get the gas axe out.

You will need to figure out brake lines (simple) and the handbrake. I am doing a similar thing with my RA28 and an F series diff. Unfortunately I havn't got to the handbrake yet, so I can't help you there.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sun, 25 January 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm, looks tempting. i know where there's one of these (RT132) being wrecked too, its where i got my front struts from (got my new discs on, got a hook up from a mate, $60 for the pair Smile not slotted or cross drilled but i'll be able to talk a mate at work into slotting them for me). i'd definitly be interested in hearing how easy this goes in, and are there any differences in the RT132 diffs? like are some lsd and some aren't? and are they all the borg warner ones and if not how do i find out which ones are???

cheers,
Matt
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sun, 25 January 2004 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://ira11y.qnix.com.au/RDisc.JPG
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sun, 25 January 2004 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 - i've read craigs exhaustive guide on how to do this, so, yep, i've sussed the pros and cons there.

re: the bearings ect - no issues there - have access to press and the collar you need to get these things on/off

rxtoy : RT142 mate, not 132. the 132 i got my struts from had a drum brake diff mate.

michael, thanks for the pretty pic...any more perhaps IIRC you have a 70 so you prolly bolted the whole B/W assembly in there instead? (am also thinking of this option, but, the RT142 diff is 1415mm long (from face to face) whereas my TA22 one is 1370mm (this can be solved with a different offset of wheel tho)

[Updated on: Sun, 25 January 2004 20:23]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Mon, 26 January 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its actually a T series diff, i wouldnt use the corona setup if you paid me Smile, and the only thing BW are usefull for are anchors LOL

mines a custom setup, 280mm rotors, if you start looking at nissans that have the same pcd as the rwd toyotas youll soon discover an easier way to set it up on ANY diff housing with a little adaptation. In short spend some hours at pick and payless, just dont try and match up handbrake cables when you are looking and remeber that it only costs $120 to get 2 custom cables made up to your own specs.
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Tue, 27 January 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y - you sound like you are sitting on a far simpler alternative to rear disc upgrades on early toyota's - care to share the wealth?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Tue, 27 January 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at a guess...
nissan bluebird (series 3 TRX) rotors (rear) are this (from DBA catalog)

DBA number : 611
Solid
280mm dia
Height : 77mm
Max thickness, 10.5 throwaway at 9.5
68mm inner hole
4 stud

NOW what is interesting :

the ST141 as listed in the catalog suggest the following :
DBA number : 706
Solid
280mm dia
Height : 79mm
Max thickness, 10.5 throwaway at 9.4
60mm inner hole
4 stud

the rt142 IRS version
DBA number : 707
Solid
269mm dia
Height : 60.5mm
Max thickness, 10 throwaway at 9
60mm inner hole
4 stud

interestingly i have the "st141" (which is interesting my diff came from an rt142 solid axle) or 706 rotors on my diff setup, so have 280mm discs some 14mm bigger than my front after the xt130 upgrade...

michael your caliper interests me though? 910 series bluebird as well or later pintara/skyline idea?

what i'm thinking your eluding towards would be using the brake backing plate (the thing that holds the caliper in place) from *almost any* BW diff and adapt it to your T series diff...

correct me if i'm wrong here.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 January 2004 06:26]

rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Tue, 27 January 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isn't it bad to have bigger brakes on the rear than on the front??? or could you take care of this with a brake bias valve, ie: sending more brake fluid to the front than the back??? anyone know if this would be difficult to be engineered? and anyone know how to work out what size/rate/however they're measure bias valve you need (don't know about aussie but adjustable ones are illegal in street cars over here so i can't just use one of them)

and i've been looking for RT/ST14* corona's over here in nz, but all i seem to come up with is cars with IRS, what years should i be looking for? i think they might be a bit hard to find over here
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Tue, 27 January 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

isn't it bad to have bigger brakes on the rear than on the front???

not when the fronts are 300mm Wink

Quote:

at a guess...
nissan bluebird

i never did check to see if they were the same .. but nope

Quote:

what i'm thinking your eluding towards would be using the brake backing plate (the thing that holds the caliper in place) from *almost any* BW diff and adapt it to your T series diff...

Quote:

910 series bluebird as well or later pintara

you might be on to something there Wink

Quote:

could you take care of this with a brake bias valve

do a search on rear brake bias adjusters

a wise man once said, " a little knowledge with a bit of effort goes a long way to reaching your goals"

peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Tue, 27 January 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe so does a tech article Very Happy Wink
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Tue, 27 January 2004 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loud and clear michael. figured as much.

mate, a wise man might have once said, " a little knowledge with a bit of effort goes a long way to reaching your goals"

a bit of common sense and thought goes a long way too Very Happy

peewee - thats what this thread will become Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 27 January 2004 18:10]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Wed, 28 January 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I stopped writing tech articles when people kept asking questions that were allready answered in the text
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 12 February 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael: What did you actually need to fabricate to get your setup to bolt up to your diff? Reason I'm asking is I'm considering importing the original AE86 disc brake setup vs doing something like you've done...

I'd imagine you'd need to fabricate (or modify from existing) the caliper mounts, and the bearing retainer plate (since the caliper mount would most definately be thicker than the drum backing plate)? And probably brake/handbrake lines/cables... Was there anything else?

*edit* and umm... did you end up writing a tech article of what you did / how you did it? If so, where is it? I can't seem to find it...

[Updated on: Thu, 12 February 2004 00:30]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 12 February 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't waste time with AE86 rear discs, that's for sure. Have you ever seen them? They're so tiny I wonder if they're any better than a decent drum setup!
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 12 February 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie: Actually to tell you the truth I've never actually seen an AE86 disc brake setup... But okay, I'll take your word for it Smile
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 12 February 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Michael: What did you actually need to fabricate to get your setup to bolt up to your diff?

i used the original bracket off the donor car, increased the inside dia of the hole where the axel goes thru by about 1 mm, metal filled the old mounting holes then figured out which way i was going to mount the caliper, marked and drilled new holes in the mounting bracket to suit, there is no need to adapt the bolting plate on the axle, you will however need to make up a spacer between the caliper and caliper mount approx 8mm thick (very easy when steel plate comes in 8mm ) you can either weld it or bolt it securely, mine is (temporarily) bolted and ive got no issues. with this particular mod you will also have to lathe a small ridge on the inside of the disc (look people a major hint!! )

as mentioned before just consider custom handbrake cables.

Quote:

and umm... did you end up writing a tech article of what you did

nope, and i wont be in the future for previously mentioned reasons
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 12 February 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm... ooookay I think I half understand that Smile

So basically you have effectively replaced the original drum backing plate with the caliper mount... With the caliper mounting bracket most definately thicker than the drum backing plate, did you have to modify your axle retaining plate to take up the slack in the bearing?

Or...

Did you just cut the drum backing plate and mount the caliper mount on the opposite side of the housing... hence the need for the spacer between the caliper and caliper mount? If you did this, isn't it a bit of a problem with the extra levelage on the bolts holding the caliper to the mount?

And umm, ridge on the inside of the disc... I take it this is to clear something?

I'm all clear with custom handbrake cables, that's not a problem for me as no matter what diff I use I'll probably have to get them anyway seeing that I'm starting off with a little Corolla Smile
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 12 February 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

So basically you have effectively replaced the original drum backing plate with the caliper mount

dont forget the disc baking plate... look at my pictures and youll see it

Quote:

isn't it a bit of a problem with the extra levelage on the bolts holding the caliper to the mount?

use the longer bolts from teh donor car, theyre the perfect length, most diffs will have the same thickness mounting section where the bolts go so that isnt an issue

Quote:

Did you just cut the drum backing plate and mount the caliper mount on the opposite side of the housing... hence the need for the spacer between the caliper and caliper mount? If you did this, isn't it a bit of a problem with the extra levelage on the bolts holding the caliper to the mount?

see above.. nope ... absolutely no problems thus far

Quote:

I take it this is to clear something?

once you look youll see why you have to do it.... you may not have to do it for every axle, but for the T series you definatley will if you want to do it safely
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 12 February 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael: Thanks heaps for that Smile I think I know what you're talking about now... Why is the backing plate so important? Is it an integral part of the braking system? I've left the front ones off my car.

I've also just discovered that the diff I bought, I don't think it's a T-series Sad It looks like it's a D, for one thing the axles are 23.78mm, for another it's got a big D stamped on the top of the housing Sad So yeah, I think I'm getting a refund for that, but it means that now I have no more diff to actually work with Sad
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 12 February 2004 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I've also just discovered that the diff I bought, I don't think it's a T-series It looks like it's a D, for one thing the axles are 23.78mm, for another it's got a big D stamped on the top of the housing So yeah, I think I'm getting a refund for that, but it means that now I have no more diff to actually work with

Count the nuts on carrier frame!
8 = D
10 = T
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Thu, 12 February 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carrier frame? Do you mean the bolts that you can see on the outside of the housing? There are 10...

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Fri, 13 February 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the most reliable way is to pull the centre out and check the stamp marks. sometimes counting bolts isnt exactly accurate .. there are other series diffs that have 10 bolts in other manufacturers
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Fri, 13 February 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Couldn't find any stamp marks, but it IS an 8 bolt and the fact that the axles are smaller than even the small T-series axle leads me to believe it is a D series. Should have measured the crownwheel when it was all apart, kinda forgot...
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sun, 15 February 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm, was looking at a few photos of TRD 2 way LSD centers:

http://www.option1garage.com.au/AE86%20LSD%20centre.jpg
http://www.option1garage.com.au/ae86%20trd%20lsd%20centre.jpg

Couldn't help but notice that it looks like it's got 8 bolts (or I should say, 8 bolt holes)? Aren't T-series diffs supposed to have 10? Or am I counting the wrong bolts...

[Updated on: Sun, 15 February 2004 13:27]

ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sun, 15 February 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gidday

Great idea to use the nissan rear disc setups. Remember that they are the same as those on the rt141, dunnydoor Turbos and v8s (jys use 4 stud rotors) and sigmas. The advantage with using the RT141 stuff is that everything is there including the handbrake cable that don't have to be manufactured to fit. You also don't have to make spacers etc. I had a look at all of the options and for me the rt141 was the most cost effective approach - this will vary depending on what you can get at what price.

Craig

Craig
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sun, 15 February 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire wrote on Sun, 15 February 2004 23:27

Aren't T-series diffs supposed to have 10? Or am I counting the wrong bolts...

Yes. Those bolt holes attach the diff centre to the crownwheel, not the diff housing!
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Sun, 15 February 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh... right. So which bolts am I actually supposed to be counting? The bolts that hold the crownwheel to the center? Or the bolts that hold the diff nose (no idea what to call it, metal housing that has center and other things in it) to the axle housing? Or some other bolts?

Hmm, maybe I should go and take it apart again and measure the crownwheel... Doesn't really help that it's on the other side of town in someone elses house... Razz

[Updated on: Sun, 15 February 2004 23:25]

Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Mon, 16 February 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To tell difference between D and T. Count the bolts that holds the diff carrier to axle housing.
10 = T
8 = D

BTW. I had minor translator problem.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Mon, 16 February 2004 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jayem: On my diff, there are 10 bolts that hold the diff carrier to the axle housing. However, there is a big "D" stamped on the diff carrier, and when I measured the crownwheel last night it looks to be closer to 6.62 than 6.7 (my calipers a little short, had to estimate). Also the axles are about 23.75mm, which is smaller than even the small axle T-series... This leads me to think that my diff is a D series...
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Tue, 17 February 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weird.

Are you sure that it's even D or T.
I have both axles and D has 8 bolts for sure.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Rear Disk Brake conversion... Tue, 17 February 2004 22:45 Go to previous message
Hmm, in that case I'm all out of ideas...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18R + W40 into ke35? possible?
Next Topic:re-moulding carpets
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 16:54:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066020488739014 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.