Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Fri, 30 January 2004 06:50 Go to next message
I got the brakes on my 1996 RAV4 checked out by Brakes Plus today and they said the front brakes need an overhaul. The outside pad on the driver's side rotor is worn 90% while the inside pad is worn 70%. The pads on the passenger's side rotor have also worn down a lot but not as much as the driver's side. They said the calipers aren't fully releasing off the rotors once the foot is taken off the brake pedal which is causing excessive wear and heat build up...shortening the life of the pads and destroying the rotors. I can attest to this as recently i've noticed a lot of grinding noise and throbbing feeling when the brakes are at operating temp. The overhaul will set me back $852.30...this is what it includes:

Front Disc Pad Replacement ($157)

- supply and fit heavy duty high performance disc pads

Front Disc Rotor Replacement ($396)

- supply right and left slotted disc rotors ($198 each)

Front Caliper Overhaul ($159.60)

- clean and bead blast both calipers to manufacturer's specs
- paint both calipers blue

Brake Fluid Service ($29.70)

- flush out old fluid
- clean out master cylinder assembly
- bleed new fluid thru all wheels

Labour/Fitting Charges ($110)

- labour charges required for brake reconditioning, painting, rotor removal and replacement

Is this a fair price to pay for a full front brake system overhaul? The rear drums are still in perfect condition so they won't be touched other than getting a good clean out and being painted the same colour as the calipers. I do a lot of heavy stop/start driving in the city during the week and a bit of soft roading on the weekends so my brakes do get abused a bit.

I'll be getting RDA (Rotors and Drums Australia) slotted rotors as opposed to DBA (Disc Brakes Australia) ones coz the DBA ones cost $100 more.
  Send a private message to this user    
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Fri, 30 January 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds about right
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Fri, 30 January 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeppas... Thats about right...

I think we charge a little more than that at work so yeah, that would be okay Smile Smile Smile ...
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Fri, 30 January 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your comments. I wasn't sure at first if the price i was quoted was okay but i asked around and the responses i got match yours. Thanks again Very Happy
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Fri, 30 January 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prices dont seem too bad...

but get another opinion as to the calipers needing overhaul.

in the 5 years i've worked for a Toyota dealership, i've never seen a RAV4 needing that done..

and you dont need them overhauled to paint them blue, a good clean with some carby cleaner, etc, even hot water should do the trick.

if they say they want to do it so the pads wear evenly, tell them they can just clean and re-grease the caliper slides, with some copper-coat, or some silver never-seize.

also, bear in mind that Toyota genuine pads retail for around $80, so unless you want to put something like EBC Greenstuff, etc. pads in, then don't waste your money.

and, finally, if you're using slotted or cross-drilled rotors, DONT use metal pads. DBA recommends against it. if they say not to, then dont. they're the ones that do the research.

cheers
steve
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Fri, 30 January 2004 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some good pointers there Steve...much appreciated. Yeah, i have my doubts about the caliper reconditioning. The calipers aren't releasing off the rotors properly which is what's causing the accelerated wear on the rotors and pads. Surely a caliper recondition won't be needed for this right? Isn't there some way of just re-aligning the calipers so they fully release off the rotors? As you can see i'm not read up on brakes Rolling Eyes

I'm definitely not going with Toyota pads though. I've had bad experiences with them in the past (too much squeaking and stuff) so i always go with aftermarket pads. I'll get a couple more quotes on the brake overhaul and question Brakes Plus about the caliper reconditioning (if it's really necessary). Thanks agin for all the help Very Happy
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Fri, 30 January 2004 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the calipers wont release properly if the 'caliper slides' aren't clean, and greased.

just make sure they do that, and you should have no probs.

the only time you should ever need to overhaul the calipers is if they are leaking from the piston seal.

take your car somewhere else if you can, and get another opinion. it cant hurt.

just trying to save you some cash...

cheers
steve
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Fri, 30 January 2004 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks buddy! One more question though...what pads are suited to slotted rotors? I need some that will cope with peak hour traffic and hilly conditions (which all equals frequent braking). Are Bendix Performax any good or do they contain too much metal?
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Fri, 30 January 2004 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be honest, i dont know how much metal those bendix ones have in them.

just ask for a non-metal pad, if you can.

from memory, you can use kevlar pads, maybe something like EBC blacks. try autobarn for them...
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Thu, 12 February 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My front brake work was done today. Total cost in the end was $750 which included the following:

- DBA Longlife slotted rotors
- Bendix Performax pads
- VHT high temp caliper and drum paint
- Calipers reconditioned
- Calipers painted
- Drums cleaned out
- Drums painted
- Drain and refill brake fluid and bleed thru all wheels
- Labour charge to remove old pads and rotors and fit new ones
- Labour charge to bed in Performax pads to special manufacturer's directions

Initially i wasn't going to get the calipers reconditioned but i saved a lot of money by finding the rotors and pads at lower prices so i decided to have the calipers overhauled to original manufacturer's specs. I also haggled the price of the labour down so all up i saved $100.

My RAV now pulls up better than it did the day we bought her. The new setup is giving off a burning smell and a high pitched squeal when the brakes are applied but i'm told this will wear off within 500 km when the rotors and pads are fully worn in. Thanks to everyone for their help! Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Thu, 12 February 2004 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sheeesh !!! $750 bux, and you thought that was OK.

If you did the work yourself, it would have cost you less than half.

I like the cost of the pads inclues the 'supply and fit' but they slug you with a labour charge as well !!!!

Why did you need new rotors ? Were they too thin ? Couldn't be machined ?

Shite, I just re-read the post and realised that it was only fior the fronts !!!!! Maybe I need to get myself a business that overhauls brakes

I acn't believe what some people pay sometimes.

Mind you, if you are happy, then your happy. I would have laughed in their face

It's your money
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: How Much Should I Pay For Front Brake Overhaul? Thu, 12 February 2004 23:20 Go to previous message
Yes, i was happy with the price. They originally wanted $850 but i laughed at that figure. If i had gone with normal rotors instead of slotted i would have saved close to $100 but i wanted slotted.

My brakes were absolutely stuffed. I felt unsafe in my RAV. Pads were down to 1mm and on one side the caliper was making contact with the rotor...ie. metal on metal contact. Calipers had rust on them. The rotors themselves were rooted as well...score marks, scratches and gouges. The rotors were machined 2 years ago. Everytime i braked i could feel and hear vibrations, shudders, groans, squeaks and squeals. It got so bad towards the end that i wouldn't drive in the rain.

In the last few days i noticed my RAV took almost twice as long to pull up and the front wheels would lock up very easily. This has never happened before! The thing i don't understand is how my brakes stuffed up so bad coz i used to have them checked regularly and the pads were changed every three years on average.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 February 2004 00:32]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Interest in a toyota celica stubbie cooler
Next Topic:TOYMODS PROMOTIONAL THINGS !?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 02:43:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.067909002304077 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.