Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bloody_huge23
Regular

May 2002
Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 10:31 Go to next message
Im thinking about buying an amplifier from jaycar the 4x100w'RMS'MOSFET
But i would like to know if this is better than an 1000w BOSS amp or alike. Its just that there around about the same price.
Its going to power a "VEGA" Sub dont know the wattage on the sub dont care if i blow it. The main thing is that i woant a 4 channel amp to run sub and 6x9's
Thanx heaps

[Updated on: Thu, 05 February 2004 10:34]

Send a private message to this user    
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bloody_huge23 wrote on Thu, 05 February 2004 21:31

Im thinking about buying an amplifier from jaycar the 4x100w'RMS'
But i would like to know if this is better than an 1000w BOSS amp or alike. Its just that there around about the same price.
Its going to power a "VEGA" Sub dont know the wattage on the sub dont care if i blow it. The main thing is that i woant a 4 channel amp to run sub and 6x9's
Thanx heaps

well the boss one is max power it dosent really mean anything you cant compare it to WRMS, which is like sustainable power, there is no direct ratio between the two values it depends on the amp.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 February 2004 10:36]

bloody_huge23
Regular

May 2002
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would it be possible to tell me which would overall be better accounting all aspects.
Any experience would be good.
Thanx,
Adam
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you run a sub and a pair of 6x9s, you won't be able to use a single channel amp.

Or am I missing something?

I'd get the Jaycar and bridge two channels for the amp.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my personal opinoin is that your probably getting more for your money with the jaycar stuff, but im not familiar with the other amp, so dont take my word on it. lets see what someone else has to say...........
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 05 February 2004 21:43

If you run a sub and a pair of 6x9s, you won't be able to use a single channel amp.

Or am I missing something?

I'd get the Jaycar and bridge two channels for the amp.

yer your right
bloody_huge23
Regular

May 2002
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i was goim to bridge two channels for the sub and use the other two for each of the 6x9's.
Understandy. All i do is double adapt the RCA'S and plug them both.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can use a 4 channel amp in 3 channels, i did it with my kenwood. only pay attention to rms power ratings, all this pmpo crap is literally that - crap.

vega subs are good shit. You shouldnt blow it at all unless ur tone deaf and cant tell the speaker is distorting.
bloody_huge23
Regular

May 2002
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx fellas.
Looks like im going to buy the jaycar amp and give it a go. Could anyone confirm if their any good.
thanx,
adam
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not me! I'm not a car audio person. I still have the stock 4" speakers in my car (along with the huge 16W amp being fed 50W...) Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive never heard of any dramas with them, they seem to be well enough built units. Cant see why they wouldn't be ok if they are true to their watt ratings?!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Thu, 05 February 2004 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Boss's 1000W is pushing to get 60x4 RMS, and that would be at a larger amount of distortion than the Jaycar amp.
I wouldnt use a Boss amp if someone paid me too.

that 4x100 RMS jaycar would be more like 4x75 WRMS at a decent distortion level

How much is it?

If its over $400, track down an AXIS amp, 4x70 RMS at a decent distortion level and only $350ish
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Fri, 06 February 2004 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The Boss's 1000W is pushing to get 60x4 RMS, and that would be at a larger amount of distortion than the Jaycar amp.
I wouldnt use a Boss amp if someone paid me too.

Damn straight. The "BOSS AUDIO" is what i like to call a 'sick-bro-only' amplifier, which rates its power in "leb-watts". Lucky to pull 60Wrms is correct... at 14.4V it has been rated at 64Wrms.

Quote:

that 4x100 RMS jaycar would be more like 4x75 WRMS at a decent distortion level

INCORRECT! In the same review which rated the BOSS AUDIO amp, the Jaycar was rated at 4 x 135Wrms @ 13.5V, and 2 x 340Wrms @13.5V. This was at an acceptable distortion level too.

Quote:

How much is it?

$440ish retail. Buy two and get a discount. And versus the Axis amp.. it is far superior.

Also... you questioned whether the Jaycar amp would be "too powerful" for your 6x9's. There is really no such thing.... if you read any decent audio article by any real authority you will know that an amp rated above a speakers input limits is better than one below its rated input limit.
Why is this? Clipping. An underrated amp will clip the outputs to raw DC voltage when pushed too hard and destroy your speaker VERY QUICKLY.

Using an amplifier rated above the speaker's input limit is ok... since you just reduce the gain on the amplifier (should be done anyway to tune properly) and the amp will never reach its clipping limit.

And yes, you can run the amp in "tri-mode".. where one pair of outputs is bridged to your woofer, and the otehr pair left for your 6x9's.

NOTE: i work at jaycar, and have worked in car audio for some time.
lorolla_80
Regular

July 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Fri, 06 February 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jaycar amps are good shit, my friend has one running a jbl 15" rated at 250wrms and 2 xplod 6x9s, the are excellent value for money.
Dont get confused with BOSS and BOSSAUDIO.
I would never buy an amp that didnt tell me the rms. especially BOSSAUDIO.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Fri, 06 February 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

there is no direct ratio between the two values it depends on the amp.

For voltage and current,Max to RMS, multiply by 1 over the square root of 2, but as we know Power is Voltage x Current, So working it out, max->RMS is 1/2 Max power. The problem comes when Dodgey Brands state, Dodgey figures....

Quote:

Also... you questioned whether the Jaycar amp would be "too powerful" for your 6x9's. There is really no such thing.... if you read any decent audio article by any real authority you will know that an amp rated above a speakers input limits is better than one below its rated input limit.
Why is this? Clipping. An underrated amp will clip the outputs to raw DC voltage when pushed too hard and destroy your speaker VERY QUICKLY.

Sorry Witzl, Disagree with this, Clipping occurs by pushing the sine wave (ie sound waves) gain above that of the amps rail voltages (car voltage) ie make it flat, by using an overrated amp more voltage and current, hence power will heat your poor speakers coils up more and you will see puffs of smoke very quickly, as well as making the movement of the speaker on minimum gain well in excess for it to cope... more or less 'clipping' the speaker. In this instance, I'm talking about hooking up a 50w RMS speaker to a 100w RMS amp. Also a quick rule is that for every decrease in 100 watts RMS, you'll will lose 1db when completely tuned.... It is a dB is log scale, but this is good for a quick cal..... So if your taking in account '6x9' rated at Max 250W (125W RMS),and I have never seen one yet rated properly, as they are more like 50w when you read the fine print, hooking these up to a 25w amp, you'll have 92db rather than 93... our ears are only able to tell a 5db difference, so we won't know. Also, you'll have to consider that to make High freqency sound, takes less energy then that of low. So a small, say 25wRMS, amp is great for most full range, 4',5 1/4' splits, and some 6,6 1/2 splits. Medium size, we'll say 35-50W RMS will run most small subs, mid-bass,(6.5'-10') and some larger ones, above this, well these are the heft regions of competition style stuff....
In the end what your talking about Witzl, is an improperly tune amp, and when run like this, it just sounds crap, and can also destory the amp, not the speaker... and sometimes Both!!

Quote:

NOTE: i work at jaycar, and have worked in car audio for some time.

I won't hold this against you Smile

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Fri, 06 February 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont buy for a brand just because its powerful either, they may have deat dissipation problems, and love going into clipping when driven hard. You can spend aroun the same and buy a little less powerful kenwood or the like.
I have a 2 channel (2x150wRMS) kenwood going to drive my 1500wrms sub, and it should be plenty. Simply because i wont overdrive the amplifier to drive the speaker.
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Fri, 06 February 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jaycar amps have been known to overheat and cut-out. So make sure they have good cooling. But definately great bang for Buck.
My 2 cents.
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Fri, 06 February 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.advanceae.com.au sell Jaycar amplifiers below Jaycar prices and deliver Australia-wide.

The Jaycar amoplifiers are, by all reports, a good bang-for-buck buy. I've spent some time looking into it and am planning on a pair of 2x150W Jaycars to run my system (component front, 2x DVC subwoofers).

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the BOSS 1000W *cough* amplifier can't smoke two 10A fuses at full noise. Crunch numbers on a total current draw <20A and you'll see how much power this amplifier doesn't produce.

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Fri, 06 February 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to clarify this for myself when a pair of speakers say 80wrms that means each speaker is 40wrms?

I have a 2x 55wrms amp running these speakers and are assuming thats ok.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Fri, 06 February 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2x55W amplifier disperses 55W into each of two channels.
Stated power handling of a speaker set is per channel.
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Fri, 06 February 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So these speakers http://www.kenwood.com.au/car3.asp?gid=1&cid=4 2&pid=421

Rated Power 80W would be each speaker?
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Fri, 06 February 2004 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's right, each channel of that speaker set is rated to handle a nominal 80W.
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Sun, 08 February 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the 4x100 Jaycar (in the catalogue, its rated as 4x84w rms) and it works fine, no worries, ran 2 8" subs for a year stuffed under the paasenger seat, now running 2 12" sony subs. I think I'm overextending it now, though........
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Sun, 08 February 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To clarify a few things:

1. I also work for Jaycar

2. Wraiths comment"in the catalogue, its rated as 4x84w rms" is incorrect... its the 2x100 that we list as 2x84... the 4x100 is actually under-rated

3. It is better to use an amp which has more power output available to it than your speakers can handle than using one with less...
-because its easier to hear when you are over driving a speaker than it is to hear a little bit of distortion from an underpowered amp.
-one could always turn down the gain on the more powerful amp but turning the gain up excessively on the less powerful ones will cause more distortion.

4. Jaycar match prices and I would advise that you deal with Jaycar direct as warranty etc. through dealers will take an extra couple of weeks and you may find that some dealers will need to order the amp in for you when you want to purchase it anyway.
Jaycar will also abide by fair trading laws because they have something to lose... some of the "Double Lock Up Garage" type dealers couldn't care less about fair trading and could cause you grief as they have almost nothing to lose.

5. With Jaycar products what you see is pretty much what you get... no expensive branding... no BS PMPO figures etc.

6. I personally have two 2x150's and 1 4x100 and don't have any overheating problems and I used to have the 4x100 installed under the passenger seat with a floor mat half sitting on it.

Anyways... Jaycar stuff only goes to about the low-mid level of the market...

If you want a moderately powerful system without too much expense then Jaycar stuff is probably what you should be buying.

if you want a high quality monobloc amp or something that can handle 0.25R impedance etc go and buy yourself a soundstream or audison amp or something...
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Sun, 08 February 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cant see why you would need more than the 450wrms x1 the jaycar amp for $335 produces though. Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Sun, 08 February 2004 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres one reason you may need a larger amplifier...

One of these SoundStream Tarantula suckers may almost do the trick

Check the Human Reign out... thats one awesome looking amplifier (Visually anyway)

http://www.lightav.com/car/soundstream/HReign.jpg

Check out SoundStreams website at a later date (they are modifying it at the moment)

http://www.soundstream.com/
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Sun, 08 February 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like JBL just made an amp slightly larger...

7500WRMS @ 1ohm... Nice!
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Sun, 08 February 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There could be no possible reason why you would need a 5000wrms sub apart from the 'big dick' competition.

Maybe at a concert in those huge halls for perhaps 20k people but not in the boot of a car.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Sun, 08 February 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would higly suggest the jaycar amp, as people already have.

oh yeah, go to this site and read everything on it, i have found it pretty helpful

www.bcae1.com
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Mon, 09 February 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny...

i totally agree with what you are saying from a strictly engineering point of view.... however, we are talking about the wolrd of car audio here, something which rarely follows the rules and convensions of physics and electrical engineering principles.

Mainly this has to do with the PMPO ratings that car audio brands slap on their products. There is no definition in the car audio world of what PMPO should be, hence manufacturers make their amplifiers produce ridiculous amounts of PMPO at millisecond intervals and claim that to be the rated PMPO for that amp (at least the dodgy ones do anyway). In which case, the rule that RMS = PMPO divided by sq.root(2) does not apply, since they arent even using sine waves anyway.... believe me, i've asked some manufacturers (eg. pioneer).

And what toobs has said is correct.
Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Mon, 09 February 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 09 February 2004 09:36

Mainly this has to do with the PMPO ratings that car audio brands slap on their products. There is no definition in the car audio world of what PMPO should be, hence manufacturers make their amplifiers produce ridiculous amounts of PMPO at millisecond intervals and claim that to be the rated PMPO for that amp (at least the dodgy ones do anyway). In which case, the rule that RMS = PMPO divided by sq.root(2) does not apply, since they arent even using sine waves anyway.... believe me, i've asked some manufacturers (eg. pioneer).
Smile

Sooo true
A lot of the cheaper manufacturers have ridiculous Max Power ratings.
I believe that it goes something like, "If a speaker can handle the power for more that 3 seconds, then it can be rated at that level."
So the manufacturer just keep cranking up the input power to a speaker every 3seconds until it pops, then they rate it at the previous level.
I'd hazard a guess that amps would be done in a similar level.
Suprathai
Newcomer

May 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Mon, 09 February 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try the following website for much lower prices on Response Amplifiers.

http://www.advanceae.com.au

These guys offer much better deals i think, but they only deal online.

Also check out cau audio australia, those guys there definitely know their stuff!!

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com.au

Cheers
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Mon, 09 February 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
again i will reitterate what Toobs has said....

JAYCAR WILL PRICE MATCH!

also any warranty and customer service issues will be more than well covered by Jaycar, rather than having to wait 5 weeks or so while some fat prick in a garage scratches his arse and thinks about getting your amp repaired......

Not just that, there is no waiting for your gear, and you can get all the other stuff you need for the amp at Jaycar, like wiring, rca cables and shite.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Mon, 09 February 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suprathai wrote on Mon, 09 February 2004 14:31

Try the following website for much lower prices on Response Amplifiers.

http://www.advanceae.com.au

These guys offer much better deals i think, but they only deal online.

Also check out cau audio australia, those guys there definitely know their stuff!!

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com.au

Cheers

*Looks up...*

SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Fri, 06 February 2004 20:47

http://www.advanceae.com.au sell Jaycar amplifiers below Jaycar prices and deliver Australia-wide.

The Jaycar amoplifiers are, by all reports, a good bang-for-buck buy. I've spent some time looking into it and am planning on a pair of 2x150W Jaycars to run my system (component front, 2x DVC subwoofers).

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the BOSS 1000W *cough* amplifier can't smoke two 10A fuses at full noise. Crunch numbers on a total current draw <20A and you'll see how much power this amplifier doesn't produce.

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php

Razz
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car Audio Amplifiers Watt Rating Tue, 10 February 2004 05:31 Go to previous message
Quote:

sine waves anyway..

Dude, what, what I'm saying is when you hook up the amp to an oscilloscope, and start jamming the gain up, you hit the rail voltage... sounds wave are imperfect Sinusoidal waves... and before we get at it, I've got a very large resume in the car audio install business... 1 year@ SCR before going big, 1year@ Ryda, 3years@FCR. What I've said before has won many trophies, for many people... just that I decided to go to uni to learn/earn more. But the meaning of this thread.....
BUY THE JAYCAR unless you wanna fork out for something like Hifonics, Soundstream, Rockford fosgate, etc... Many of these will run down 0.5 ohms and capable of running a whole system
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how much does the compliance cost for Levin?
Next Topic:conversion update
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 07:00:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13422298431396 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.