Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
grphil
Occasional Poster

June 2003
RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Fri, 13 February 2004 17:19 Go to next message
Hi,
Does anybody know if Cressida RX30 (Coupe) struts are a direct fit into a Celica Ra28?
Regards, Gregor.
  Send a private message to this user    
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Sat, 14 February 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im no expert, just wondering how common these cressida coupes are in Oz? got a photo
grphil
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Sat, 14 February 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
don't know how common these Cressidas are in OZ as I'm from Germany. There should be no difference between Coupe struts and Limos... if that matters. Pics : http://www.toyotaoldies.de/bluerx.html
I was asking because I want to make an brake upgrade, but I can't get the Corona struts, as these Coronas never find the way to us, or at least, I can't find any... but I can get some Cressida struts out of a RX30, and it seems that they have sumitomo brakes on, 266mm non vent. discs, if they would fit, I could use them for the upgrade...
Regards, Gregor.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Sat, 14 February 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those rx30's are a nice car, don't know about aussie but i've never seen one in new zealand. not sure if they'd fit but the thing's to check would be that the spacing where the two nuts hold the bottom of the strut in place is 90mm and that the stub axle is on the right angle. i've heard of other struts being bolted in that fit but they had excessive positive camber because the stub axle was the wrong angle. the hat (don't know the right word) at the top of the strut and your springs can just be swapped from your RA28 so the top half should be fine. you also might find that the strut body is too long, i know the corona ones are an inch longer than the celica ones. this can be fixed but involves cutting and welding your strut body.
grphil
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Sat, 14 February 2004 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks rxtoy, that helps a bit, .A6.struts produce the camber prob. to my knowledge... similar .x6. I assume, but ain't sure... I will see about lenght etc. of the strut... strut could be seen here: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&i tem=2459943079&category=10428&sspagename=S TRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1 but I can't see much as the discs are still on...

For sure the Cressidas are nice cars, the ones I'm talking of was parted out because he couldn't find a windscreen... damn
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Sat, 14 February 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we got these cressidas but in 4 door only roughly 77 models they are called mx62 cause of the m series engine ,as i use the lower arms in my race car ,do you get rt132 liftback coronas youi could use these struts ,but thinking when i put the lower arms on the mx models had a bigger ball joint so i had to reem out the part that the ball joint bolted to ,tired here just reading again go the RT132 or TT133 coronas they will bolt straight in RA28 and are sumitomo twin spots
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Sun, 15 February 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
while putting (well, trying to put) my new RT132 struts in today i found they wouldn't fit, the gap between the holes on the steering drop arm is actually 85 mm (well, it is on my TA23 and my RA28 anyway) and the gap on the strut is 90 mm so you might want to keep an eye out for this too. i'm going to try and get by the problem by using some MA6* Celica drop arms, apparently these or ST141 Corona ones (read this in the tech articles under the MX6* front brake upgrade for old celicas) are the only two with the right size holes for the lower ball joint. hope this helps and you don't end up in the same spot i'm in.

good luck
Matt
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Mon, 16 February 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CelicaRA45 wrote on Sun, 15 February 2004 10:45

we got these cressidas but in 4 door only roughly 77 models they are called mx62 cause of the m series engine ,as i use the lower arms in my race car ,do you get rt132 liftback coronas youi could use these struts ,but thinking when i put the lower arms on the mx models had a bigger ball joint so i had to reem out the part that the ball joint bolted to ,tired here just reading again go the RT132 or TT133 coronas they will bolt straight in RA28 and are sumitomo twin spots

I think you will find 77 cressida's are MX32's not MX62's (MX62's are 81 -> 85 I believe) Confused

Cheers
Wilbo
grphil
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Tue, 17 February 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you will find 77 cressida's are MX32's not MX62's (MX62's are 81 -> 85 I believe)

Cheers
Wilbo

I think you're right, X6 Cressidas are from 81 on... to what I've heard, there are differences between older and newer cressida strut.

Matt, I will keep an eye on that, but that means I've got to buy the struts and have them shipped to me approx. 400KM... shit... expensive... but not quite as much as getting corona strut to Germany... good luck, too...

I will tell you what happened if I do get them, and hope they don't get to expensive, ebay...

Thanks,

Gregor.
grphil
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Tue, 23 March 2004 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
turned out the bolt pattern of the strut is wider, so the knuckle arms must be be swapped over... Matt, are the MA6* arms a good option or to short? What length are they? Do they got the right hole for the ball joint?
Does anyone know the length of the st141 knuckle arms?

Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Tue, 23 March 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA61, X3 and X6 Cressidas share the similar balljoint. I believe that st141 has smaller balljoint.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Tue, 23 March 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.toyotaoldies.de/X3-coupe.jpg
Released late 76 and ran till at least 79 and probably 1980. Replaced by the 60 series.
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: RX30 Cressida Strut in RA28? Wed, 24 March 2004 09:57 Go to previous message
No 2 door MX/RX 30/2's made it to OZ...Mores the pity...they were the original Chaser...there is a red one on the toyotaoldies site...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:OT: need VL commi wiring diagram
Next Topic:fog light wiring
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 15:41:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075879096984863 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.