Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Q 76 bonnet on 73 celica possible?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Q 76 bonnet on 73 celica possible? Tue, 17 February 2004 06:07 Go to next message
hey i was just wondering if it is possible to fit a 76 celica bonnet on a 73. how different are they
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Q 76 bonnet on 73 celica possible? Tue, 17 February 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Totally different. The bonnet line is different so it just won't match up with the guards, and the later model bonnet is longer as well.
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: Q 76 bonnet on 73 celica possible? Tue, 17 February 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they're wider at the front as well. there are a few different versions of TA22 bonnets around though, could have a look around and decide what you like best if you want something different. nothing with the big bulge in the middle like the 23/28's though.
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Q 76 bonnet on 73 celica possible? Tue, 17 February 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u could get a powerbulge bonnet from the states, they are like the 23/28
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Q 76 bonnet on 73 celica possible? Tue, 17 February 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the US-spec RA22 Celica has the RA23-style bonnet on a TA22-style chassis (ie shorter and narrower). This was only available for less than a year, 1975 from memory, and they're quite rare over there now as most rusted away long ago. In any case it would cost heaps to get it shipped over here - more than buying a whole RA23 I suspect!
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Q 76 bonnet on 73 celica possible? Tue, 17 February 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the hijack but sort of relevant to the current discussion...

I was wondering about the feasability (practical issues aside ie. cost of freight, etc.) of using a US spec RA21 engine and gearbox crossmembers to bolt-in mount an 18R-G with W50 to TA22 chassis. My prima facie belief is that the parts should be interchangeable.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Q 76 bonnet on 73 celica possible? Tue, 17 February 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it can be done. The TA22 chassis is much the same as the RA20/21 so the crossmember will swap right over. It would be much easier and cheaper to modify your existing crossmember though!
chutz_pah
Regular

September 2002
Re: Q 76 bonnet on 73 celica possible? Wed, 21 July 2004 01:28 Go to previous message
in reference to the bonnet...

i'm trying to achieve the same thing you mentioned in your first post... a ta23 bonnet on a ta22.. and i think (in theory) that it can be done...

my thoughts are this...

grab both bonnets and split the frame from the skin, then restick the frame from your ta22 to the skin of the ta23, with some panel beating mates you can lip the edges around. now the tricky part, with the top end use some type of router, you can also use your old ta22 skin as a guide to router the top (near the window) part... you'll also need to smooth out the power bulge lines as they get close to your window assuming you want a smooth finish...

i've asked some panel beaters and boiler makers and they tell me it's totally possible, so yeah, sounds like a lot of trouble but if you want it and you got a boiler maker or panel beater buddy to help then it shouldn't be too hard...

catcha

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2004 01:31]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HP Torque Limit for early W58 and/or R154 Transmissions
Next Topic:5K Carb Tuning ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 18:10:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040040016174316 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.