Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

3T block differences Sun, 22 February 2004 02:27 Go to next message
Can anyone give me the ins and outs of available 3T blocks? ie the good things and the bad things about each on?
The reason I ask is i'm wanting to build a 2T/3T combo for a TA22 and I have been told that some 3T blocks will bolt right in and others need a custom mount made.

Any info? Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 3T block differences Sun, 22 February 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The difference is in the engine mounts basically. A 3TGTE has the turbo oil return between the LH engine mount, and when using the original oil return pipe for the CT20 turbo, you need to use the factory steel engine mount to clear it. This in turn spaces the rubber mount further out, and therefore requires modification to the crossmember to fit (the mount need to be moved further out to the strut). In a naturally aspirtated situation, this eliminates the problem, as you simply block the oil return hole off (if you use a 3TGTE block), and use normal TA22 engine steel and rubber mounts to be a bolt in fit. Using a 13T (T18 Block), would also eliminate this problem, as it doen't have the oil return hole.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3T block differences Sun, 22 February 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh ok so there is no advantage in using one block over the other?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3T block differences Sun, 22 February 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually the question I think I should be asking is, should I be after a 3T block or a 3T-G block?
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 3T block differences Sun, 22 February 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you have available and what are you trying to build?

If you currently have a single cam 2T motor you can use your existing block, grinding reliefs for crank clearance when fitting crank.

If you've currently got a 2T-G, you can use your 2T-G block, but earlier blocks (220, 222, ~260 head numbers) will require crank clearance machining as described above.

3T block is same as later 2T blocks, so will fit 3T crank without machining. 3T-GT block will require modification to seal the oil return.

If you're using 2T-G head on your hybrid you should use a 2T-G block as supplimentary drive cam will suit your application. With creative fitment of cam bearings 3T-G block can be used.

Hope this helps.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3T block differences Sun, 22 February 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am wanting to build a 2T/3T hybrid without having to grind blocks and modify too much.
Are you saying if I had a 2T-GEU I could use the head and the block with the 3T crank, rods and pistons?
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 3T block differences Sun, 22 February 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Are you saying if I had a 2T-GEU I could use the head and the block with the 3T crank, rods and pistons?

Yes, this is the most effective way of doing it as you don't need to either;
a) change timing gear and supplimentary camshaft into single cam block, or
b) machine clearance in early 2T block, or
c) adjust 3T bearings to suit 2T-G application.

The later 2T-G heads also were the large valve models and featured additional webbing reinforcement and (>260 head number) double valve springs.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3T block differences Sun, 22 February 2004 10:57 Go to previous message
Ahh great, thanks mate. This is most helpful.

Time to track down a 2T-GEU then Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Need help with brakes????
Next Topic:4ag tps questions...please help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 09:49:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.15395593643188 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.