Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!! Tue, 24 February 2004 11:32 Go to next message
Im having a few problems keeping the beast cool. When driving around normally, including a 35 degree day like today, im sitting on around 90-93 degrees celcius. When i stop at lights etc. then 16" thermo cant seem to pull the temp down very well, it usually remains steady. That means that if i give it a light flogging the temp will get up to around 99 degrees celcius, then if i pull up it will remain at that temperature. To get the temp back to 90-93 I have drive the car around normally.

When the car was being tuned today the temp keep on getting up to 99, bearing in mind it was 35 ambient, and the tuner was getting worried. Is this pretty normal fo a 1J? Is it nothing for the tuner to worry about? The only problem is the overflow bottle starts to spit out water at 99, im running a 16 psi cap.

So would a TRD thermostat help in anyway? If so where could i get one preferable in Perth or Australia Smile. Comments and experiences much appreciated.

BTW it was making 200 rwhp by 4000 rpm, at which point the ignition began to break down. It would appear the standard igntition module and haltech cant handle it, so im switching to haltech igniters. Looks like I will be expecting 300+ rwhp Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!! Tue, 24 February 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perhaps you should consider a larger radiator?
or more cores to it

i'm unsure if a TRD thermostat would make any difference at all
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: 1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!! Tue, 24 February 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from my rusty memory, the TRD unit opens at 71C so it will make the engine run at a cooler temp however if the current cooling system is already having problems maintaining decent cooling temps then this might not be the most effective fix, then again it might be - for the cost though it's a relatively cheap test Smile

www.greenline.jp - I've bought numerous bits from them - Hong Kong Metal HG, and an Exedy clutch, top quality service and their prices are excellent - even with duty and gst.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 February 2004 11:55]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!! Tue, 24 February 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm having overheating problems as well on 35C+ days. However, yesturday I had my thermo fans set to come on earlier than they previously were. Maybe you could try that. Otherwise maybe construct an undertray, a bigger radiator, extra fans, or maybe it needs a new waterpump and thermostat?

I was having the exact same problems as you. Not even thrashing it, just drving normally on a plus 35C day it would reach 99C or over. I still havn't testing it with the fans coming on earlier on a 35C+ day.

However, mine does have an a/c condensor infront of the radiator now.

You could also try adding an oil cooler and a bigger intercooler. Does your radiator have a shrowed for the fans?
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: 1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!! Tue, 24 February 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adding a larger, thicker intercooler is not going to improve your radiator cooling efficiency, it's going to hinder it if anything Smile
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!! Tue, 24 February 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My radiator is a 420x450x60mm dual row, crossflow ali unit. I thought this would have killed it, but obviously not. Unfortunately I cant really fit anything with more area in, only width, perhaps one of the problems is that ive lost water volume compared to that of a normal 1J radiator due to the smaller size. Ive set my thermo to come on 95 and turn off at 90, im not sure that turning it on any quicker would help. I dont think an undertray would help, but perhaps it's worth a try, might try to duct the air into the radiator a little more effectively. There is no shroud for the fan, as it's just a 16" thermo. The 16" thermo shorud practically takes up the whole face anyway, it touches the end tanks and is only about an 1" off the top and bottom. My intercooler is 400x500x57, so i cant get any bigger, but as Stenno says a bigger intercooler would only hinder the radiator.

Ill be spwein if i have to get another radiator, cost me an arm and a leg to begin with Sad
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!! Tue, 24 February 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your thermo-fan is coming on way too late. Set it to about 88C. This helped mine a lot, I'll double check mine, but previously it was set to come on at 95C.

You won't have to bother with a shroud as your thermo fan covers the whole radiator, but try putting an under-tray on.

A bigger inter-cooler would keep intake temps down though. If it was lower than the radiator that would keep out of the flow of the radiator.

The loss in water capacity would make a difference. 1JZ's run very hot.

What about the oil cooler?
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!! Tue, 24 February 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't bother with a TRD thermostate. Too expencive. Just get a 71degree thermostate, any brand.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!! Tue, 24 February 2004 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before I put the undertray on my car post-1jz conversion it would get very hot when giving it some stick. Putting the undertray back on improved things considerably.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZ TRD Thermostat again!!! Tue, 24 February 2004 23:34 Go to previous message
Alright ill try turning the thermo on a little earlier, and making up an undertray. Yes those TRD thermostats are f$%kin expensive nearly 100AUD. So i could just go down my local repco a get a new thermostat? Anyone got a part number, or brand?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:w58 alloy vs w58 steel shifter location?
Next Topic:timing chain tensioner on a 2tg
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 23:19:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047159194946289 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.