Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
frr33q
Regular

June 2003
new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 09:55 Go to next message
hey everyone i was reading motor magazine and it had a little article in there that toyota is in the developmental stages of producing a supercharged straight six of unknown capacity. has anyone else heard of this or have any info about it?
  Send a private message to this user    
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What would it go in?

A Landcruiser?

An IS200/300?

They need something to rival the RX8 and 350Z.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wonder if a new straight six would meet the strict emission standards set worldwide and headed by japan

doubtful
frr33q
Regular

June 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they have built an IS200 with a 4.3L v8 in it. its called IS430, it's got 240kw, the article is in motor magazine aswell. Why wouldn't a straight six pass new emmisions laws? car companies only scrapped them coz the v6 is more compact! if they got a rotaty meetting the emissions standards then i dont see the issue!
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh please do tell how the config of straight vs Vee determines if it passes Japanese emission standards.
frr33q
Regular

June 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exactly wat i was thinking! it doesn't! like i said b4 the car companies only scrapped the straight six bcoz the v is more compact and maybe easier for them to drop into smaller engine bays!anyway hope they do bring back the straight six, i just love them!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i dont see what the hell they are doing.. the two best engines from toyota and nissan were all straight 6's
1jz gte
2jz gte
rb25 det
rb26 dett

they are considered some of the best engines in the world... yet they are scrapping the design
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7MGE Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nissan proved that the striaght sixes they built were harder to control the emissions than a V based design they switched to

dont ask me why Very Happy you probably COULD get it to produce as much power as a v based with the same emissions, but i think it might be harder

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nissan scrapped the RB series engines because they're OLD, not because they're inline configuration. Think about it for a minute; what does the configuration of the cylinders have to do with the combustion process? Does a molecule of fuel care if it's being burnt inside a V6 or a straight 6? It doesn't make the slightest difference...
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought the issue, (apart from compactness) of straight 6 vs V6, was the necessity for the longer length of the camshaft (in the straight 6) and inherent vibrational harmonics building up. This then required more bracing (weight and inertia) as well as greater wear (theoretically).

That is what I was lead to believe anyway.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 16 February 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was under the impression that the straight six was the most well balanced engine configuration short of a V12?

I like inline 6s. Niiice.

And I'm sick of all this emissions laws. Fuck it, you want to keep emissions down? Run the damned cars on Ethanol or something. But as long as your using Petroleum your gonna have problems with pollution.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: new straight six from toyota Tue, 17 February 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Tue, 17 February 2004 10:38

I was under the impression that the straight six was the most well balanced engine configuration short of a V12?

No, a 90° V8 with a 90° phased crank is the smoothest, followed by a straight six.

More here -> http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/engine/s mooth1.htm
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: new straight six from toyota Tue, 17 February 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Tue, 17 February 2004 13:32

No, a 90° V8 with a 90° phased crank is the smoothest, followed by a straight six.

More here -> http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/engine/s mooth1.htm

from 'there' ::

"V12 engines - Theoretically the best balanced configuration for practical use."

GREAT link btw - thanks bill

[Updated on: Tue, 17 February 2004 03:43]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Tue, 17 February 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and yet...

"All boxer engines, regardless of no. of cylinders, provide perfect balance because the movement of a piston is exactly counter by the corresponding piston in another bank"

did you see what he had to say about the VW Bora 5 cylinder job? Very Happy

"The only mistery left to me is the V5 (formerly called VR5). It's also 15°, but how can it manage to balance between the banks ? one bank has 2 cylinders and another has 3 cylinders. Unfortunately after a lot of time spending, I still fail to find sufficient information about its detailed configuration. If you have its detailed technical specifications or even service manual, please kindly inform me :)"
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Tue, 17 February 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So Boxer is the best, followed by V12, then 90° V8, then Inline 6... right. Confused
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: new straight six from toyota Tue, 17 February 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well im just regurgitating what ive heard

not claimin it as gospel Smile
JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Tue, 17 February 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i assume you are refering to piston engines, but wouldn't a rotor have the best balance?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Tue, 17 February 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feck... so Rotaries, Boxer, V12, 90° V8, Inline 6, other V8s, V6s, Inline 4s, then inline 3s... Inline 6 aint looking so high on that list anymore. Very Happy
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 01 March 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha Shraka u crack me up!
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 01 March 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Point is its better than a v6.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: new straight six from toyota Mon, 01 March 2004 07:29 Go to previous message
Boxers only balance at higher revs at idle in a volkswagen the whole car shakes side to side Smile hehe great effect though Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Lexus Powered Dragster...
Next Topic:first car idea
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 16:25:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056068897247314 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.