Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Wynn's, because it works?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Wynn's, because it works? Wed, 03 March 2004 08:55 Go to next message
I'm a mechanic at a Toyota dealership, and we use Wynns's products all the time. I don't sell them, but the service advisors must because we have to put Injector cleaner, Friction Proofing and engine Flush in about half the cars we service.

I was wondering if anyone has their own proof of how well addatives work for them, and if its worth it.

They Wynns rep came to work today and gave us a big demonstation. (Included pizza and beer!) Smoke and mirrors?
  Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Wynn's, because it works? Wed, 03 March 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some of it works and some of it is an absolute crock. Their injector cleaner does work to a point, i mean if they a clogged as then nothings going to soplve it bar a propper service and flush but if they are starting to buyild up then the solvent in the addictive will break down the dirt, as well as in the filters etc etc.

their stop smoke shit? hahahaha yeah rightio
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Wynn's, because it works? Wed, 03 March 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wacked injector cleaner (nulon not wynns) worked a treat
more response
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Wynn's, because it works? Wed, 03 March 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to use some nulon power steering treatment..as there is a little fluid in the rack boots (not much).. it claims to stop leaks and help preserve the pump. Is this bullshit? Sorry to only add another question. I didn't know the dealers actually add that stuff. You see it on the receipts but I wondered whether they actually put it in. I guess Toyota has a reputation to uphold not like some of the other shonks.. Rolling Eyes
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wynn's, because it works? Wed, 03 March 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At Toyota, we put the Wynns in the car most of the time, but its a customer option. Most people (mechanics, manager etc) don't realy know or care if it works, its a money making thing. We cirtainly don't have any problems as a result of the wynns, nor do we ever reley on it to fix something. We assume it does nothing.

But many times the mechanic forgets to put the stuff in and it goes in his toolbox to be taken home, and the customer still pays. Only happens sometimes, but enough to keep me in all the wynns I could want.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wynn's, because it works? Wed, 03 March 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Wynns man did a metal to metal test for us, using a electric motor and odd bits of equipment. The test showed that Friction proofing works very well. How well the test simulated a engine, and how much money could be saved, I still don't know.
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: Wynn's, because it works? Wed, 03 March 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HighRolla wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 20:50

I was going to use some nulon power steering treatment..as there is a little fluid in the rack boots (not much).. it claims to stop leaks and help preserve the pump. Is this bullshit? Sorry to only add another question. I didn't know the dealers actually add that stuff. You see it on the receipts but I wondered whether they actually put it in. I guess Toyota has a reputation to uphold not like some of the other shonks.. Rolling Eyes

I used that nulon one didnt work. But theres one thats like 15 bucks white bottle forgot the brand says "if it doesnt work you get your money back" its around 15 dollars got a sticky fuild think its working.. filled up nearly 2 weeks ago hasnt leaked yet Confused
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Wynn's, because it works? Wed, 03 March 2004 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds pretty good Smile .. if you remember do you reckon you could let us know of the brand. Thanks.
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: Wynn's, because it works? Wed, 03 March 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah no worries when i got back to a auto shop ill have a look for you Smile
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: Wynn's, because it works? Thu, 04 March 2004 01:25 Go to previous message
I can only comment about the injector cleaner. At the risk of upsetting sales reps etc, I will say that the following is my opinion. Complete WASTE of time. As Mr RX-7 says, it is only good to keep clean injectors clean. However, by the time you add up the cost of running the injector cleaner regularly, it is heaps cheaper to get an off-car injector clean every 100,000km

Removing the injectors and performing an off car clean achieves the following:

1) runs straight cleaning fluid through the injectors to remove the gu buildup (additives to fuel are too dilute to do this, expecially with very dirty injectors)

2)Volume test - tests to see if all the injectors are running equal flow through them ie not lean on one.

3) Drip test - test to see if an injector leaks fuel into the cylinder

4)Replacement of filter baskets

Normal retail value is about $30 per injector plus removal and refit. So for a 4 cylinder Corolla, you would be looking at;

(4 x $30) + 1 x $60/hr labour = $180 absolute max. Twin cam injectors should be able to removed and about 15 minutes. VL commodore is about 3 hours, VS commodore is about 5 minutes.

As to why the dealers put it in - they make heaps on it. When mum used to book her car in, they would push her to get the injector treatment and then charge her $80 for it. It was the Wynns injector cleaner they were using.

So my opinion - off car injector cleaning is the ONLY way to do it.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Need help with EPC
Next Topic:AE86 P/S
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 19:18:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011380910873413 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.