Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
dodgy fkrs :( Tue, 02 March 2004 06:35 Go to next message
Well as some of you know I'e been getting / got a drop tank on the corona i went to this PLACE and got a quote for $1300 for:

1.Build/Fit Custom drop tank
2.new fuel sender unit / fuel gauge
3.Build / fit custom overflow bottles

i rang around half of Perth trying to find a place that does it i found one place that said for there drop tanks (made from templates that bolt strait into commode's/falcons) it was $2000
but they dont make custom tanks

so i eventually found the above place which said yep we'll engineer it (gets stamped and comes with a certificate)

i went there and dropped it off and per our phone conversation he said he would need $300 to buy some of the materials i said fair enough and dropped the car off with the $300

so 2 weeks later i went to pick my car up

physically the tank looked good but the first thing i noticed were the welds it looked he'd used a trowel to weld it up (chunky fkn welds) the overflow bottles looked good and the fuel gauge had been mounted on a metal plate which also looked good.

so as im not a welder and didn't know if it was how they normally looked so i payed him and drove it home

my dad had a look and said them welds are sh!t, then my brother works at an exhaust place said there all right but they could have been rubbed back or smoothed. Anyway 2 days later i had a look at the tank and saw a liquid type substance on the back rubbed with my fingers had a sniff and it was fuel, there were 2 pin hole leaks so i rang him and still not losing my temper said its leaking what are you going to do he said bring it in and I'll fix it.

before i brought it in i got my exhaust fixed while it was up on the hoist they noticed that the straps that hold the tank on weren't put on there all that well and you could move the tank if you got a good hold of it, so the head exhaust guy had a look and said that the welds could be better but it was tig welded and its hard to get smooth but he said its very dodgy that it leaked as well as the fuel lines that went from the tank to the metal fuel lines where just flapping around so my brother said tell him to make a bracket up or something to stop them from going near the exhaust so i brought it back told him all of that and he said yep no worries I'll fix it

so he rang me up that day and said its fixed come and pick it up so i did and once again i noticed the weld that he'd patched up the old weld look fkn shocking so i said cant you get it smooth its a bit of an eye sore so he buffed it back, he'd fixed the straps and made a bracket up

so i go to get my car tuned today dropped it off this morning i went there at lunch and he said she's running sweet it hammers so he said lets go for a drive so we left and he smoke it up out of the car park im thinking that's a good sign its got heaps more pull then he changed to second and revved the tits off it but then it started to miss hes like WTF it was running sweet this morning so we went back he popped the hood and adjusted something on the carbie then he's gone i don't fkn believe it took the fuel filter out and its half full of water

he said mate you've got water in your fuel tank his exact words "that's fkn dodgy" the guys a good bloke so he said I'll take the tank out flush it flush your fuel lines and your fuel pump and then it should be sweet.

so back to the title what can i do to f$ck this guy over
here my thoughts

a.consumer affairs
b.enginers ombudsman (they can take away his licence)
c. legal action

I realise I cant get my money back but I want to make sure this dodgy fkr is out of business or at least cant make fuel tanks for any other unsuspecting people.

thoughts/suggestions

I'll wait before I ring and abuse him about having water in the tank

because this could've blown my engine up Mad

[Updated on: Tue, 02 March 2004 07:06]

Send a private message to this user    
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Tue, 02 March 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone?

/bump Razz
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Tue, 02 March 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coronamark2 wrote on Tue, 02 March 2004 17:35

Anyway 2 days later i had a look at the tank and saw a liquid type substance on the back rubbed with my fingers had a sniff and it was fuel... before i brought it in i got my exhaust fixed while it was up on the hoist

so it was leaking fuel, but before you decide to fix it, you thought youd let some poor exhaust guy climb under it on a hoist, and fix (and i presume weld!) your exhaust...

*shudders*
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: dodgy fkrs :( Tue, 02 March 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with Ed.

Leaking fuel tank and welding do not go hand in hand Confused
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Tue, 02 March 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i know that sounds dodgy but it wasnt near the exaust it was on the front of the tank (wher the bumper is) on the passanger side my exaust exits on the driver side

it was just ozing threw a tiny pin hole leak when i filled the tank up.

its dodgy the dudes supposed to make up custom manifolds and surge tanks i wouldnt recomend anything if he cant make a fuel tank

anyway im going to ring up the engineers board or somwhere that i can get him in the shit for such dodgy workmanship on an explosive container Razz .

I WANT HIS PLACE SHUTDOWN! Mad

JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Tue, 02 March 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is done to/what do you do with your corona that it warrants a drop tank? i'd assume that the water was in the tank when he washed all the fuel out, in the end you did pay the cheapest price you could find- you know how the saying goes....
matty.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Tue, 02 March 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you'll find that water was in the tank so that welder could weld the tank "safely". He just didn't drain the tank thoroughly. Dodgy!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: dodgy fkrs :( Tue, 02 March 2004 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with Jayem. You saved $700. I'd have a chat to the guy. Then I'd build a bridge and get over it.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Wed, 03 March 2004 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

well because of the water in the tank its costing me $120 to get ANOTHER guy to take the tank out and flush it + flushing the fuel lines / pump. Then 150 for the fuking around with my carbie that wasnt running right because of the water in the tank Razz

im a bit less pissd of today but i rang the guy yesterday to let him know and some gino answered i said is mic there "no e is in de ospital he had an accident"

i bet he tried welding another one of his leaking tank while it still had fuel in
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: dodgy fkrs :( Wed, 03 March 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I think you'll find that water was in the tank so that welder could weld the tank "safely". He just didn't drain the tank thoroughly. Dodgy!

why would they put water in the tank, makes no sense, u cant weld it up, water would piss out, so i'd say he put a bit of water in to say it was more full than it really was. if they did put water in there to check for leaks then they didnt do a very good job of checking, and they should've flushed it with diesel to make sure all the water was gone

get your mates work {zorst shop} to get in on it and say they were just about to weld it up and they saw the fuel and blah blah, almost died ect ect.

make them pay for all the extra work done
Quote:

Then I'd build a bridge and get over it.

i'd want blood for $1300 of shit work
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: dodgy fkrs :( Wed, 03 March 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and make sure after all the fucking around u do to screw him over that u fully bitch slap him
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Wed, 03 March 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr DOHC wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 16:49

Quote:

why would they put water in the tank, makes no sense, u cant weld it up, water would piss out, so i'd say he put a bit of water in to say it was more full than it really was. if they did put water in there to check for leaks then they didnt do a very good job of checking, and they should've flushed it with diesel to make sure all the water was gone

get your mates work {zorst shop} to get in on it and say they were just about to weld it up and they saw the fuel and blah blah, almost died ect ect.

make them pay for all the extra work done
Quote:

Then I'd build a bridge and get over it.

i'd want blood for $1300 of shit work

at least someone see my point thanks dude

they put water in the tank to "flush it out" Shocked when supposively there supposed to use some chemical wash or something to get rid of ALL the fuel this was when i brought it back to them to fix the leak they then wouldve emptied the waterout welded it then put it all back together then put the fuel in Razz

the guy I paid to flush my HOLE fuel sytem out says there was about 1/2 a litre in there Shocked

Im going to ring them when i get my car back and explain that they are very dodgy fks but i dont expect to get anything but it will make me feel better depending on the outcome i'll see if i WILL get him in the shit or not.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: dodgy fkrs :( Wed, 03 March 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hate dodgy places Mad

thats pretty dodgy i say you could tell someone about it and they can go investigate or just leave it. Just wait a week and you'll forget about it and remember not to go back there. Smile

Otherwise level the building Razz
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Wed, 03 March 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find out what hospital he is in and go pay a visit. Take a pen and add hourly rectal exams to his chart. Laughing
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Wed, 03 March 2004 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PM me the places name please

I was going to get the same place you went to to make my drop tank, but that doesnt sound like a goer now
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Wed, 03 March 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

why would they put water in the tank, makes no sense, u cant weld it up, water would piss out, so i'd say he put a bit of water in to say it was more full than it really was

One would have to be completely insane to weld a tank full of explosive gasoline fumes. Easiest way to get most of the fumes out is to fill tank with water. There will still be left some explosive fumes but space for expansion is now restricted(read: less drama when welding). Water is also safe choice due to high flash point (2 000 000 celcius or so) Razz . Ventilating the tank so that there would be no fumes left is impossible.

There are two ways of approaching the "pissing the water out" problem. One is to compensate gravity around the pissing tank or to rotate the tank so that piss hole is in the uppermost part of the tank. You choose!
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Wed, 03 March 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u pay 4 wat u get
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Thu, 04 March 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TryUrLuk wrote on Wed, 03 March 2004 22:33

u pay 4 wat u get

you speak good engrish Razz

SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Thu, 04 March 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u pay 4 wat u get = You pay for what you get......... just a lazy way of typing Smile
Grinder
Regular

June 2003

Re: dodgy fkrs :( Thu, 04 March 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the way he wants you to write it is

you get what you payed for.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: dodgy fkrs :( Thu, 04 March 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but he should dump all the fuel, wash it out with water, THEN empty the water, then make sure its dry and put the fuel back in, just sounds like a lack of work ethics to me.

just ring him and start screaming, demand all the money back that u had to spend alsewhere and a new full tank of fuel.

in my experience; he who whinges most gets the job done
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: dodgy fkrs :( Fri, 05 March 2004 00:46 Go to previous message
yeah im going to ring him today
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Do tyre valve caps fall off?
Next Topic:TEMS suspension?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 06:42:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052659511566162 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.