Occasional Poster

March 2004
ae86 20B convertion Sat, 06 March 2004 11:31 Go to next message
Has anyone done this , if so let me know Evil or Very Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Sat, 06 March 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer just about to start this .. since you can register a 4.0litre v8 sprinter on the road in victoria .. Should be easier than the sr i hope ...
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Sat, 06 March 2004 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i mean the mazda triple rotor twin turbo engine
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Sat, 06 March 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes i mean the triple rotor mazda engine too {not the turbo engine}.. I was talking of a friends car with a v8 of 4.0 litres , so using the vic roads rule from the capacity rule for engine size .. Don't know if you would be able to get the turbo engine road registered ?
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ae86 20B convertion Sat, 06 March 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its been done in japan before, fuck it was fast
anthony84
Regular

February 2003
Re: ae86 20B convertion Sun, 07 March 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i had that film clip 2 fuck they were shiting them selfs !!!
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: ae86 20B convertion Sun, 07 March 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anthony84 wrote on Sun, 07 March 2004 13:43

Wouldnt you be, i know i would.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: ae86 20B convertion Sun, 07 March 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anthony84 wrote on Sun, 07 March 2004 13:43

yeah

the chokets boys, hehehehee, so classic, the red caris there
and then its gone

not ideal engine for an ae86, it was made better for handling...
ae8620v
Regular

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Sun, 07 March 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have looked into doing this conversion and i know it is straight forward the hardest bit is finding the 20B, how ever in n.s.w if it is to be road registered it can't be turbo charged.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: ae86 20B convertion Sun, 07 March 2004 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.vosko.net/media/rotary/3%20Rotor%20AE86 .asf
'ere it iz!!
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Sun, 07 March 2004 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont really care if i cant road register it, i just got a 20btt with a rx7 series 5 gearbox, modified hilux diff, microtech, t88
cant wait till its finished
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Sun, 07 March 2004 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Has anyone done this , if so let me know"

So you asked if anyone had done this conversion .

Then ...

"just got a 20btt with a rx7 series 5 gearbox, modified hilux diff, microtech, t88
cant wait till its finished"

You say your in the middle of it ? So to help other people who mite want to do this conversion .. How about explaining , or posting some photos of how you are going to do this conversion . Because in looks like nobody else here has done this conversion ..or has found any information on it ....

Thanks ..
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Mon, 08 March 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It has been done. use the forum search engine on club4ag, but its not what im looking, im looking for info on the tunnel that goes diff to the gearbox, im not going to start grinding off, just to save an extra buck
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Mon, 08 March 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy crap that video is nuts Smile
Thats one fast car....
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Mon, 08 March 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry about it , i found what im looking for, ill keep you posted with pics,
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: ae86 20B convertion Mon, 08 March 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow that car is fast.... what sort of power figures are we looking at for that car? i know it flashed up 600ps but what does that equate too? What kinda 0-100 times?
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ae86 20B convertion Mon, 08 March 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ps is allmost equivalent to horsepower

which is roughly equivalent to 450kw

and jap figures are allmost allways quoted at the wheels

800kg or so, 450kw at the wheels, u think about it....

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 10:12]

boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: ae86 20B convertion Mon, 08 March 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i put the figures into a ET calculator this is what i got...
with 900kg of car/passengers and 600ps/591.78HP at the wheels it came to 8.71 so i put it at the engine and its still 9.18 seconds Shocked .
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Mon, 08 March 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wonder how much ill do. tonight im reenforcing the front, respoting everything with the spot welder, foam the insides, got nuts and bolts everywere from unistalling the engine, my garage looks like a junk ward
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Mon, 08 March 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This vid ... where did it come from ... does anyone know ..

HYP04A

When you plan to have it finished ?

HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Mon, 08 March 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if everythink goes well by the end of the year. what about yours, are you using the stock diff? also where are you mouting the fuel pump, under the car?
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Tue, 09 March 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer i think i will use the stock diff , good for about 60-70hp at the wheels . No seriously i think the diff will have to be a little stronger than the standard unit , maybe even stronger than the one i am currently testing behind a sr20det powered ae86 . I will properly need a full floating rear ,kaaz centre or some think like that set up , wouldn't like a axle to break and pop out at speed .

Fuel system !! the fuel consumption would use the sprinter tank up it about 100klm or less with the car flat out on the track . So i think i will be using a custom drop tank set up with inbuilt surge tank , fuel pump ? i think fuel pumps will be more the case ...

maybe have to get stuck into mine and have i ready by the end of the year , really in no hurry ..
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Tue, 09 March 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you always got something up your arse dont ya, i didnt mean the stock(aussie) diff but the lsd jap one, ill have it ready by the year cause money doesnt grow on trees, i just want to see your face when im finish Twisted Evil
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 20B convertion Tue, 09 March 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah yes, the super-strong Jap LSD diff, that will hold up to a 20B no worries at all!

Laughing
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Tue, 09 March 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres a question for ya, what diffs do roteries use? Laughing
get your facts right
heres another thing you might know, the majority lsd brands comes from the same factory. Th diff is strong but is it trasheble? the car is 86 ae89coupe but the rear comes from a supra with irs and a lsd, bigger disks

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 23:28]

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Tue, 09 March 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"you always got something up your arse dont ya"

No seriously i think the diff will have to be a little stronger than the standard unit .

I think you need to read i little bit more into my joke about stock diffs , and if you think the jap diff will last with a engine which is like having a 4litre turbo , i cannot wait to see it when its finish . Seeing a stock jap spec diff hold 300rwhp plus ...

HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Tue, 09 March 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats funny cause that japae86 20btt was using the stock diff, take some japanese lessons and maybe woul understand

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 23:40]

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry ..

"This is the problem everyone is going to encounter with this convertion in the land of kangaroos,"

As from your web page ..

So i guess i don't have to learn japanese

"heres a question for ya, what diffs do roteries use?"

Most use borg warner unit i thought ? which are made here , most people use modified hilux or vl or nine inch ford diffs here in Australia .

Norbie

Can i buy that "the super-strong Jap LSD diff" Laughing We both believe this don't we ?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HYP04A, you're the one who needs to get his facts straight. I have never heard of a rotary using a T series diff (a la JDM-spec AE86), and with good reason - they're weak as piss. They can't even reliably hold the power of a 4A-GZE, and with the torque of a turbo 20B it would snap like a twig. I know several people with very serious rotary drag cars and they all use Borg-Warner or Hilux diffs, with the occasional Ford 9". But an AE86 diff? LOL!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this 20B AE86 when it's finished. Pity it only exists in your head.
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well see
time will tell the truth, i wonder if hilux diffs are stronger or the same
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SEARCH <---- all your answers are found here!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm strange my T series (same as jap spec AE86) diff snapped an axle with only 145rwkw.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HYP04A wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 14:23

well see

hmmm, considering the T series is 6.7",

and the hilux is either 7.5" or 8"... and the hilux axles are about an inch thick......
Confused maybe T series is stronger Rolling Eyes

a T series may survive if you treat it nicely, but an F or G will take a lot more abuse...
anyway, will be inteesting to see what happens when the T series breaks Very Happy get someone to take a video Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We had some Ford 9" axles out of an ambo on the weekend....there's very little in it between the Hilux axles and the Ford 9".
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was gunna insert a comment about a standard 1g-gte boosted to 15psi breaking 7 t series diff centers in 3 months...

even with the kaaz center etc... the weakness becomes not only the axle but the input pinion gear, I ripped 6 full teeth off in one of my centers.

just hold a t series next to anything and you will see how weak they are.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Pity it only exists in your head."
Norbie Laughing Laughing Laughing
What more can i say ...

TurboRa28
It lasted to that power output .. You did well Smile

Bugman
I was talking about a Kaaz in a Borg housing , there have just started making these . For commo's .{those cars found in the land of kangaroos}

But really , seriously .. Shocked i have only found two pic of this conversion , can someone post them up ? they could be helpful { did i say that } for someone in the future .

And where did that video come from ??? Shocked

ae8620v
Regular

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why even bother driving the car with that diff, just save your money and do it properly, cause when it blows (which it will) you'll be the first one to complain about it being off the road again
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is funny
wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewarts right. the 8" hulux diff is one tuff cookie.
ppls have been drag racing with them for years over here.
5000rpm clutch drops on 400+HP/400ftlbs engines 1.5 60 ft times.. but with that much power you need to swap the axle shafts every season they do start to twist a bit. Wink
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HYP04A wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 10:38

thats funny cause that japae86 20btt was using the stock diff, take some japanese lessons and maybe woul understand

Errr... I believe i did do jap in high school for a total of 4 years. Studied it avidly for almost 2 years following. I believe they didn't mention ANYTHING about diffs in that video. I suppose it is Arabic they are speaking.
wil8115
Regular

June 2002
Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After the car is moving the strain on the diff is greatly reduced. However, it will break eventually from a 600ps engine. No matter what you do to it or how you drive it.
My friends 7.1" E code held up for a couple months behind a 12psi 7MGTE but it eventually went south. The power while moving didn't kill it. the burn outs and clutch drops did.. Evil or Very Mad
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HYP04A wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 14:23

well see

Laughing
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ae86 20B convertion Wed, 10 March 2004 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

We had some Ford 9" axles out of an ambo on the weekend....there's very little in it between the Hilux axles and the Ford 9".

I did compare differentials of these two, few weeks ago. Hilux differential is bigger and stronger looking in every proportions, exept ford has bigger crown wheel(obvious). I didnt have axles to compare but axle splines were bigger and all around in hilux diff when ford had kinda three un-splined parts(probably doesnt make any sense).
I would choose Toyota diff, no questioning here.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Thu, 11 March 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae8620v

I am still waiting for a quote from that conversion...

{from the other thread sr20 conversion}
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: ae86 20B convertion Thu, 11 March 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do u plan to get all that power to the ground? Sprinters aren't exactly known to house fat tires, so is it going to be tubed?
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Thu, 11 March 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when the diff blows up ill replace it with a stronger one, with this set up the car cant be road registed him not 100% sure, its going to be tubed and have reinforced chasis, its for drags, my aim is a low 8 high 7 ,ill be spending around 20 gran, im up to 14, on my web site thats not the car im building, thats for drift, when you see a white ae86 levin gtapex coupe at the drags its mine
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGE wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 23:17

HYP04A wrote on Wed, 10 March 2004 10:38

Errr... I believe i did do jap in high school for a total of 4 years. Studied it avidly for almost 2 years following. I believe they didn't mention ANYTHING about diffs in that video. I suppose it is Arabic they are speaking.

so what are they saying?? they all seem to be speaking at once.. as excited young japanese males tend to do Wink

oh, totally OT, but can you translate
"shark skin man and peach hip girl"
into japanese? been trying to find that moofy for ages Wink

mmm kogalashi monjiro Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

toyae862003's Home Page

I haven't started building my site yet. Please check back soon!

i was hoping for more than just that one picture... so post up a pic of the 20B, and the reinforcing you did the other night..

what boost are you planning to run? or what kw or Nm will you need for 7 sec passes??

remember, maximum torque from a rotary will be around

Nm = rotors x 0.65 x1.8 x 100 x (1+boost)

ie rotor capacity x 1.8 x 100Nm x 1+ Bar boost

or more basically, a 20B will make 350Nm NA and an extra 350Nm for each Bar of boost you run (this is theoretical based on outputs of RX8 and race motors) but you must be getting 95+% VE to achieve these figures.

for power

kw = (Nm x rpm) / 9402

so.. what boost will you run? what rpm? what Kw are needed for a ... 900kg? car to run 7's?

Cya, Stewart

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from rough calcs on the net, assuming you have 2000lb car with you in it.

you'll be needing:
772hp for 8 flat
833 for 7.8
902 for 7.6
976 for 7.4

so assuming you need 800hp = approx 600kw
(and remember that these calculators are based on pretty flat torque curve V8's (compared to turbo motors)

600kw at what rpm? sayy, 7000??
that gives 805Nm

805Nm = 20psi boost (ASSUMING 95%VE, ie a well developed motor)

since you are doing it on a budget, and probably won't be spending weeks on a dyno, your VE will be more likely to be 85-90, which means you'll be needing to run around 23-25psi boost.

but this is only if car + you = 2000lbs race weight.

if you add 10% weight, you need 10% more power and vice-versa...

hmm, so. what turbo for 800HP?? thats AT LEAST a GT42/45 from Ray Hall (http://www.turbofast.com.au/sales.html)... $3.7K
http://www.turbofast.com.au/GTpictures.html

chances are you'll have less than ideal porting etc, so you'll need a 850-900hp capable turbo, and a wider torque band. as well as properly tuned rear end to actually get this power down...

anyhoo, sounds like a great project.. please update your site with pics as you do the work, i'm sure EVERYONE (well almost) will be watching you to see how it all goes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2004 02:48]

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Stewart , You are still missing the point , with a jap spec diff this is all still posable ... Thats what the secret to the complete conversion seems to be . And all you need is $20grand .. Why bother with drag racing any other kind of car ??? With this set up if you spent another $20grand would it pull 4 seconds. Laughing Laughing Laughing And when you say tubed , are we talking of bath tubs at the rear for traction ...

Intensevil , Thats for sure , it only took every single angle and component to be changed on mine in the rear to stop wheels spinning at 130kph ... But i didn't have a jap spec diff , that must have been the problem .. You don't need bath tubs then ..

So can anyway host or post those photos i have ???
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep send me the photos and i'll host them

boris_yeltsen@hotmail.com
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 15:54

Laughing Stewart , You are still missing the point , with a jap spec diff this is all still posable ...

i don't think i am missing the point Very Happy, was just trying to bring some realism back to the thread... heh heh there's some kind of 'posing' going on Wink i just thought i'd crunch some numbers and see what would "actually" be needed..

T series diff Very Happy heh heh...i think thats been sunk well and truly.. T series and 800hp??? ummmm....... hmm, lemme think... Rolling Eyes

hmmm, 20K...... i'd be building a minidragster for that..... probably only have enough cash to have a stock motor after that tho....

hell, rotary ppl spend more than double that on a half decent street RX3!!!

Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2004 06:00]

HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep posting your crap but just do one thing, dont tell a engineer how to do is job, and yes, they where using a trd lsd
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
geez, don't get uppity, i was just getting some real numbers.. maybe it might even help you!!

8 sec = 800hp = 20-25psi boost = munched T series..

but i would be even happier for you to prove me and all the other doubters wrong Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy, it only takes one person to make a major advance in car modding.. may as well be you.

and dammit, i want to see this project happen Very Happy (and the vid of the first launch)
Cya, Stewart

edit: and you aren't the only engineer on here Wink.
what did (edit) GT say? arguing with an engineer is like a pig in .. mud?? Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2004 07:23]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 17:06

edit: and you aren't the only engineer on here Wink.
what did Ed say? arguing with an engineer is like a pig in .. mud?? Very Happy

Me actually!

I want to see a video of the first 8 second pass on a T series.
HYP04A
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill stick to what the japs sayd, also a rx3 would be grate, but its been done too many times so stop putting words in my mouth.
Anyway, when i do get to the engine bit,im not going to bother going decrompress rotors this, mild port that, this is the only forum where i get more questions than answers. To many wonabes here. ill tell ya when its finished
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, we're all just wannabe's, you're the only person here who actually modifies cars.

I also look forward to seeing the end result!
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can I just put the fact back up a T series rear end has trouble lasting any decent amount of time behind a standard 4a-gze or 1g-gte, hell even guys with 4a-ge break them on occasions. DREAMING
ae8620v
Regular

March 2004
Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure where you are getting your figures from mate low 8's, high 7's, i'm friends with the pac performance boy's and have been aloud to see the mx6 up close, even did some work on it i know what it cost's to run those numbers and i know what has to be done to the engine and chassis to do the times and your only about $80,000 off but good luck to you, and i will be more than happy to do your chassis for you i've done a few of theres
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: ae86 20B convertion Fri, 12 March 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
http://lawntonss.eq.edu.au/home/jshaw66/20b1.jpg

http://lawntonss.eq.edu.au/home/jshaw66/20b2.jpg
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AFTERMARKET RPM METER ON 1G-GTE SOARER
Next Topic:MA70 Conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 09:04:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011185884475708 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.