Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 13:49 Go to next message
Just wondering if anyone has a home theatre setup??? Personally I just bought an LG widescreen tv & combined with my Sony surround stereo it's awesome!!!

Being unemployed Razz i've just spent the last couple of days watching DVD's. Just gotta shell out for a digital set-top box & better subwoofer & my system will be complete...

Somehow I don't think the neighbours will approve Evil or Very Mad

Anyway just wanted your opinions on standard definition vs high definition, anyone have either??? Looking on the net it seems most people don't see the benefit with hdtv (since standard definition is supposed to be DVD quality anyway!) but if anyone has either setup then please list the pros & cons. I've been looking into getting a box with digital sound output (for surround sound) but I can only find one & I don't know if they even broadcast in 5.1...

Oh, i'm also looking for movie suggestions, anyone???
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It all comes down to whether you have a high definition TV. Otherwise, no, you will not notice the difference. The reason for this is that regardless of the source resolution, it is being scaled down to an interlaced 576 lines.

On a TV capable of progressive scan, a DVD will look better as it is being played full 576 lines progressive. High definition will be better as it has even more resolution than a DVD. The surround sound will be dependent on what the station is choosing to broadcast at the time.

If that sounds kind of confusing, ask me, because it IS confusing, but it is all I've been mucking around with in my spare time over the last few days since I got my new HDTV tuner card in my home theatre PC.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply. I do have a high-definition capable tv (100hz, 576 progressive) but honestly I can't see a major difference when playing dvd's (since I already have a pretty good dvd player)...

I know there is a quota of high definition programming but what i'd like to know is it worth paying almost double for a hdtv capable set-top box or wait awhile???

EDIT: Found this link. Still doesn't give me a conclusive answer Confused

[Updated on: Thu, 11 March 2004 14:12]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How are you connecting the DVD player to the TV? If you're not using the component (red, green, blue) inputs and your DVD isn't progressive scan, then you won't be getting the full benefits.

Personally, I'd be just getting a cheap set top box, and waiting for later on to get a true HD television and HDTV set top box that will handle the full 1080i resolution of HDTV (except Channel 7 which uses 576p like a DVD).
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 01:13

How are you connecting the DVD player to the TV?

It's connected via the yellow a/v (picture) cable only, the sound is handled by the stereo.

justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 01:13

Personally, I'd be just getting a cheap set top box, and waiting for later on to get a true HD television and HDTV set top box

Yeah that's what i'm thinking. By the time hdtv really takes off i'll need a new screen anyway... I'm still interested to hear other peoples opinions, if you have a kick-ass theatre setup then post away! I remember seeing a thread about surround sound cd's/dvd's, any recommendations?

Anyone have a copy of Steel Rails Under Thundering Skies they'd care to lend? Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 11 March 2004 14:39]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is the problem, composite (the yellow cable) is SHIT Smile You'll get a much better picture with S-Video, but what you REALLY need is a progressive scan DVD player with component outputs (the RGB cables). Then you'll see a big difference. Very Happy
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Girlfriend just got 41+ " plasma with Set-top box.
Conclusion - Average
The HDTV is great but it has its moments. Like being able to see how much make up they really are wearing !
I'm not a fan of the plasma at all. Can appear very grainy at times and kinda like your looking at a pixelated image especially present on the cheeks of the actors. I attribute this to the Plasma, not the HDTV.
I have an LG widescreen and I've come to the conclusion that unless you buy a really expensive Flat screen tv - you get warping on the ends. So many people don't pick it up, I did on both mine and the family's flatscreen and if I had the time again - I'd buy a good Loewe (non-flat) for the same price.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What LG widescreen do you have? I've got a 66cm one at my house, and I only get the warping on the sides very rarely...

As for plasma's, there are good and there are bad...personally I'm saving up for the time when there are big, relatively affordable LCD flat panels.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a 76cm LG Flatron widescreen tv...

http://www.lge.com.au/productGroup.asp?Contenttype =Product&Subtype=tv

So what you're saying is the S-Video cable would give a much better picture than the single video output? The TV supposedly has DVD component input aswell but I don't think my DVD player supports it....

But! My TV & DVD player both have the S-Video input/output Very Happy So i've gotta go check that out!!! Don't wanna ditch the stereo/DVD player quite yet.

Thanks for your help so far Cool
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah. Use the S-video for the moment and then get a progressive scan DVD later to take advantage of your progressive component inputs.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Home Theatre Setup Thu, 11 March 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conquest wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 01:05

I do have a high-definition capable tv (100hz, 576 progressive) but honestly I can't see a major difference when playing dvd's (since I already have a pretty good dvd player)...

What are you comparing it to? A normal TV?

Remember, HDTV may be capable of more resolution than a DVD, but that doesn't mean that it'll somehow magically make the DVD better...

It's like watching a 320x160 video on 800x600 resolution then changing it to 1024x768... The original video is still 320x160 no matter what.

As for the cables, you have an HDTV and you're running the video through a single RCA?!?! What's wrong with you?!
If your DVD outputs in component RGB then buy the three RCA cables and plug them in!!
Make sure you buy the specific RGB cables though, not the Left-Right-video trio that you normally find. The impedences are different for the sound channels.

Failing that, at least get an S-Video cable!
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes JCMF I have the 66cm in my room.
If you ever watch something you can't see the blurryness down the sides? particuarly the left hand side?
If not: have you got an xbox? or some dvd that displays writting down close to the edges? Try that. The words are blurry on both the LG tvs in the house.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A little off topic from the TVs but what sorta of speakers/recievers are people using? IMHO i can't stand the recent influx of "home theatre" systems that consist of 10-20RMS satelite speakers, for somebody that has gone from their existing stereo tv they may be good but personally they sound tinny and horrible. For what its worth at home we've got a NAD 5.1 reciever running Bowers and Wilkins speakers... very nice looking and sounding speakers

http://www.bwspeakers.com/images/photoItem/601_Black_Stand_Spec.jpg

mmmmm kevlar Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2004 01:10]

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boris wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 12:10

For what its worth at home we've got a NAD 5.1 reciever running Bowers and Wilkins speakers...
mmmmm kevlar Very Happy

Not talking to you, unless you 'loan' me them speakers...

mmm very nice...

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/pro ducts.models/label/Model%20Nautilus

btw I am not an audiophile, i can hear the difference, but to hear something out of some off the shelf sonys doesn't drive me crazy...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T APLUS 22 wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 08:59

yes JCMF I have the 66cm in my room.
If you ever watch something you can't see the blurryness down the sides? particuarly the left hand side?
If not: have you got an xbox? or some dvd that displays writting down close to the edges? Try that. The words are blurry on both the LG tvs in the house.

I very rarely get what you're talking about. I've got a PS2 and a Home Theatre PC plugged into the TV pushing right to the edges and I haven't seen that in a while. I don't get any blurriness either...I dunno.

I just had a fiddle with it then, even displaying a Windows desktop pushed right to the edge of the screen I don't get any blurriness around the edges...

And Nark, his "HD Ready" TV will only display 576p which is the native resolution of a DVD, so yes it will look better, but only with a progressive scan DVD player.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used to be happy with normal stuff until I started work on a website and doing a HTPC for my gf's uncle. Now I'm addicted to the good stuff Sad Speaker wise, he has only a stereo setup, but the components including speakers, stands, amps and DAC come to around the $12k mark Sad

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2004 01:59]

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
excuse ignorance, but what does HTPC stand for?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Home Theatre Personal Computer
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 09:24

What are you comparing it to? A normal TV? As for the cables, you have an HDTV and you're running the video through a single RCA?!?!What's wrong with you?! Failing that, at least get an S-Video cable!

Nark, as I stated above I don't think my DVD player has component output (though the TV supports it) so that leaves me with the S-Video cable option.

I'd always associated S-Video with video cameras & the like Embarassed Didn't realize it made such a difference to picture quality.

Boris, those are some nice speakers!!! Shocked

My system is an 'off the shelf Sony', 2x100w RMS front & 3x80w RMS centre & rear, with a separate input for the subwoofer. Not overly loud, certainly not up to the standard of some of the high end gear but suitable for my small apartment nonetheless...
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Off the shelf systems are a nice easy and relatively cheap way to step into the world of home theatre... We are buying the speakers in stages as the cost of them is pretty crazy. We got the ones in the picture for approx $800 the pair than a centre speaker for $800 again. Eventually we will be getting floor standing BIG MOTHA speakers for the front and moving those for the surrounds! Trying to get mum and dad to buy the sub soon too although i think last time we checked the entry level one started at $1200. Shocked Squid is on to something with his link, i'd hate to imagine what these would cost but imagine the sound

http://www.bwspeakers.com/images/SpeakerModel/images/Model_Nautilus/main.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2004 04:53]

Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boris wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 15:52

Off the shelf systems are a nice easy and relatively cheap way to step into the world of home theatre...

I couldn't agree more Very Happy My total system has cost me ~$3k (not including the subwoofer which will be another $1k or so for a decent one) but since the rrp of the tv alone is that much i'm pretty happy with the results!
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ours has cost at least 4500.. its dads pride and joy..
45oCm Sony procetor
5.1 Digital Sony amp
12inch Active sony subwoofer
WarfeDale Center, Side and roof mounted speakers..
Digital TV receiver..
Sony DVD player that also takes kodak pictures straight from a camera does MP3 and data discs for pictures etc..

Digital set top boxes are awesome.. as soon as you watch someone elses TV it looks shocking.. Even SBS is crystal clear

plus you get other channels.. like road watch, surf reports, new bulletins, NSW TAB, weather things, i think theres a shopping channel.. plus theres games..
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 21:28

Ours has cost at least 4500

Actually more like 6000
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Fri, 12 March 2004 21:28

12inch Active sony subwoofer

Impressive setup Cool Could you please PM me some details of the subwoofer (model code etc)? Thanks in advance...
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 12 March 2004 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walk into JB HI. Get a wharfdale or denon. A decent 12/15 would set u back around a grand. These things are loud and deep. Simply takes the air out of your lungs. Your stomach and insides vibrate too. Crazy stuff. Alot of places do sell stand alone subs. Many of them are well worth what u pay for them.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home Theatre Setup Sun, 14 March 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.music-at-home.co.uk/html/Spkrs/spkrs_b& amp;w.html

35000 pounds a pair...wholly shit batman
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have:

68cm loewe profil-plus
denon 5.1 amp
subsonic front speakers
yamaha centre & surounds
120watt active sub
toshiba dvd

yummy Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reagrding the whole "flat screen" CRT tv's, especially LG (lucky goldstar) and Sony.

When you haev a look at the BEST CRT televisions on the market, they are not as flat as the LG's and Sony's "ubersuperdooper flat tv". Why?
This is because to obtain that "FLAT" panel front screen, the image from the CRT actually has to be stretched into each corner, thus causing image warping. Usually most brands employ a concave lens in front of the CRT to stretch the image into each corner.

Only a TV like this has true image representation, no image warping, progressive scan, 100Hz, 600lines, etc etc. Notice that it is NOT COMPLETELY FLAT.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PgDjAp4SxEcGT6pu1eGj!bio7x83oyYoAmH9ksOfusbGKq2wJtgewSxQDcJz4BSlWdXQNjhTPANSOKLpVsW8aW5QsNtvHqBU/Loewe.jpg?dc=4675463835441892942

This set is still rated as the best CRT television available on the market by all the top shelf home theatre magazines/reviewers. And i own one! :D:D:D

As for DVD player selection, while dad was working in China he happened upon the TOP DVD brand from China - Shinco. After some research i found that Shinco's manufactured DVD components are used in some of the top branded DVD players (eg, Toshiba, Pioneer etc). It's a Shinco DVD-8700 (cheap now, its 2 years old or more) and we liked it cos it had progressive scan and full 576p video output with Component Video out and built in digital decoder (ie. analogue 5.1 sound output)

The amplifier is a Sony GA7ES. Its pretty old now (4 years or more) and doesnt have all the features of todays receivers, but it was an awesome bargain and pretty good for its day. Some of you know that with all the Sony receivers, if it has "ES" on the end that means that it utilises all the top shelf componentry in an attempt to produce an "audiophile's" amplifier.

The speakers are mostly all kit items i built from Jaycar. JV60 fronts, JC55 centre and the rears are some very nice Bose "stereo wide" 8" 2 ways from the late 1980's.

The subwoofer is also a home job from Jaycar parts. I used a 12" 4ohm carbon-fibre woofer in a 55L cabinet with a 30Hz tuned 110mm port, using one of the older model 200Wrms remote controlled sub-amp modules. It ROCKS!

Its a little slapped together, but it sounds and looks sweet.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PgAAANUSclRogNtJ*qtRJMgdmRn8vSIvXxfclJ14TgJJMrANIB1oBMT3RWH31F7fD4gxv3ObzJF77IQr3HvC6!P6OUEbFYqV/units.jpg?dc=4675463837149338102

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TAByAAwXyXhIX4hin1AZsG6nyivDBihZrYAowPEocKtkpgVnxZ1su6RUI3veRBMZ*Z7dfgjKUxQyOYYrUHBDK8jk0QdHK09*D4*PROqgWx2RwNgGurAalA/My%20home%20theatre.jpg?dc=4675463837282365965

JCMF - where'd you get the HDTV tuner card from? We have one now at Jaycar if you're interested.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.hometheatrepc.com.au - The Chad is a champ and his knowledge about this shit is scary!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and Karl, how does the Loewe TV compare to the Metz? I've not found any direct comparisons, but I know they were right up there as the shiznitz of CRT's.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
P.S. exact specs of the setup are:

TV: Loewe Xelos 5381ZW 32inch 16:9
RECEIVER: Sony GA7ES
DVD Payer: Shinco DVD-8700 progressive scan
Subwoofer: Witzl Brand 12" 200Wrms thumper
Speakers: Jaycar/Vifa/ReSponse and Bose system.

• Fronts - JV60 6.5" 3 way system. Uses Vifa P17 6.5" and Vifa D25 tweeters
  • Centre - JC55. Uses 2 ReSponse 5" mids, and Vifa D19 tweeter
  • Rears - Bose 8" 2 way stereowide speakers
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Metz is good. But the Loewe is better.

Think of it this way. Grundig is the crud that comes out of the Loewe ranks. The Metz ones are a step up from the Grundig, but from what most true reviewers say, the Loewe just has a picture that nothing else comes close to reproducing.

For example, channel 10 and channel 7 use my exact model TV for all their reference monitors. 1 week after we bought ours, the entire country was run dry of this model becuase of ch 10 & 7 buying up big.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you get a VGA port for them?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they have 3 expansion slots, and one of the options is yes, a VGA slot.

As such Dad is building a HTPC this year, and getting the VGA card. You can also get digital sound cards, digital reciever cards etc etc.

Its the most awesomest TV. We were going to get a rear projection, but when we saw the picture - we were in love.
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wooo karl Very Happy loewe rocks
i couldn't quite afford the same as yours, but am still 110% happy with the profil-plus Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't have to tell me about HTPC's dude Razz I can't believe you were considering a rear projection, they make me cringe. Never seen one that I've been happy with.

As for sound cards, I recommend an M-Audio Revolution. Nice card.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no i mean these are cards you can get for the TV!!!

dude, i wouldnt be so arrogant as to tell you about HTPC shit.

i think im going to go watch a DVD now....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not saying you're arrogant Razz Why don't Jaycar sell a VGA -> component transcoder...its not cool they dont, cos I need one Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude... i told them to get them over 6 months ago... they are looking into it now (my mate got promoted to purchasing)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will they have the bandwidth to cope with 1080i?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
?

check out www.jaycar.com.au

right now i have to go back to swearing at a particular wheel which was put on with a rattle gun that has broke 3 tools already

Im going to kill Jax.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 15 March 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure if/when they do start to sell the VGA -> component transcoders they have the bandwidth to cope with HDTV 1080i signals.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 02 April 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 15 March 2004 08:58

JCMF - where'd you get the HDTV tuner card from? We have one now at Jaycar if you're interested.

Well, I lost my Jaycar virginity today, walked into the store for the first time. It was kinda cool, they did have some cool stuff. I only went with a mate so he could grab a turbo timer kit, but I grabbed a catalog on the way out.

I had a quick look outside at the catalog. The HDTV tuner card was on the cover. Visionplus, same as mine, nice card. $299....$299?????, and they have the cheek to put underneath it "Strong dollar, you save".

Seriously WITZL, if you can tell someone important, tell them they're going to have to change that price if they plan to sell any. You can buy ones from the supplier directly (including freight) or most stores for $179...thats crazy Smile That is all.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Home Theatre Setup Fri, 02 April 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a 68cm tv, sony stereo, surround sound, foxtel digital, dvd player (about 60 dvd's), video player and ps2 all hooked up Very Happy
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Sat, 03 April 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my setup for shits and giggles

tv- orion t7800 76cm 100hz etc etc
amp - yamaha rx-v596 (has 5 digital audio inputs, brilliant!!)
dvd - some lg crap for now, waitin to see what happens with dvd-A and some progressive pal players.
stb - hauppauge dec-2000 (stand alone plus computer controlled via USB, and record to pc in this way)
speakers are kinda old aiwa that are nothing special at all

BUT the best part - total spend of approx 1500 Very Happy

oh and i have the pc connected too via svhs for music clips, divx etc
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 05 April 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Sun, 14 March 2004 11:59

http://www.music-at-home.co.uk/html/Spkrs/spkrs_b& amp; amp; amp;w.html

35000 pounds a pair...wholly shit batman

Actually the very first gen Naut's were $180,000 thinking that high hurts myt sensibilities.
Current mid level 800 sigs $49,999 pair. Shocked

I alway keep an eye on len wallis second hand listings.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 April 2004 03:48]

viagra_cressida
Regular

May 2002
Re: Home Theatre Setup Sun, 25 April 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey there peoples

I am really keen to get a stereo in the next few days/ weeks and was wondering if anyone can give me pointers. I don't know very much at all.

I am not sure how much I want to spend but anything less than the $2500-$3000 mark will be fine. I am also willing to buy just part of a system at the moment for the $2500-$3000 mark and over the years adding to it. I want something really good that I can keep for years to come and not keep on getting a new one.

At the moment I have a new TV and Pioneer DVD player and the guy that sold it to me said that it is plenty good enough to hook up to any system.

I guess I need an amp, speakers and not sure what else? A reciever? I really have no idea.

I want to hook it up to the TV but also have it as a CD player too and I would love to have the radio too (do they all have radios now days??)

I want it to also look good too. This is a fairly big thing...it needs to be something that will look a little different (I like the look of those B & W speakers that look like snails.

I'm open to offers of ideas. Thanks

P.S. I REALLY love the Bang & Olifson brand but WAY out of my price range...unless someone has one cheap 2nd hand?
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Home Theatre Setup Mon, 26 April 2004 02:03 Go to previous message
my opinion in that price range is to get whatever the current jvc package deal is at truscotts or wherever.

as much as you might was something funky to suit your decor, they will ultimately be an inferior speaker to a properly constructed one, and to get good quality on a funky speaker wil be nowhere near your price range.

your dvd player can easily act as your cd player, and i think just about all receivers have a radio tuner in them.

you could also just buy an amp and a set of decent fronts for now and maybe some el cheapo rears and gradually upgrade the surround speakers.

all depends on what you want now, how upgradable you want, the type of room it's going into (no point in going 7.1 if you can't utilise it) etc etc. go to a decent home theatre store and just try a few things
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone go to Sublime??
Next Topic:New song!!!!! RnB lovers.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 08:13:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072979927062988 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.