Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 92 SX Celica Auto to Manual Conversion....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AussieAdo
Occasional Poster

February 2003

92 SX Celica Auto to Manual Conversion.... Thu, 19 June 2003 03:24 Go to next message
My auto is having issues and needs a reco. Was thinking of maybe putting in a GT4 engine and a manual transmission...

Does anyone have any info about this or know anyone in Brisbane that can do it.

Cheers,

~Ado
  Send a private message to this user    
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 92 SX Celica Auto to Manual Conversion.... Thu, 19 June 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you can't fit the GT4 manual transmission. Its a 4WD.

Best bet would be to grab the 3SGE ST182 (?) import gearbox, this is in the JDM Celicas (and those convertibles you see here).

The 3SGTE obviously does fit, but it would be a fair bit of work. Don't expect much change from $4K minimum. Perhaps cheaply fix the SX, flog it off and put the money with that $4K and buy a real GT4?

I had some gearbox repairs done to my GT4 at Bob Romanos' and they did a very nice job. So if you are really keen on the swap, perhaps they could be good to talk to.

Good luck with it!
AussieAdo
Occasional Poster

February 2003

Re: 92 SX Celica Auto to Manual Conversion.... Thu, 19 June 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spectral: thanks for the info. I was aware about the GT4 box not fitting...i was thinking about a sx manual box. To get a fully reco box is about 1800-2200 fitted...if i can get a 2nd hand manual and all the stuff fitted for the same price...i`d rather do that.

Cheers,

~Ado
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 92 SX Celica Auto to Manual Conversion.... Thu, 19 June 2003 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but if you do plan on getting the GT4 engine, it will make mince meat of a manual 5S-FE box. I believe the 3S-GE box is much stronger (not 100% on this thou).

I guess it depends on what you finally want to achieve. If you really want the GT4, get the proper 3S-GE box. If you are keeping the 5S-FE SX motor, then of course the standard manual gearbox will be fine.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: 92 SX Celica Auto to Manual Conversion.... Tue, 16 March 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you bolt the 3sgte genII to the original st162 auto gearbox?
I know the genI works (cause thats what it has now) but since my motor has decieded to die, I'm planning on dropping a genII into it.

And yeh, I know it'll turn it into shrapnel quickly, but its a temp fix while I save for the gt4 tranny.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 92 SX Celica Auto to Manual Conversion.... Tue, 16 March 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No u can't bolt a 3SGTE to an ST162 box and i don't think that u can do it to the ST182 either. The problem is the the starter motor sits where the turbo goes.

The Boxes that can be used are the sv21 camery box, the MR2 turbo box and the GT4 box(modified). There are problems with each of these boxes. The best box for the 3sgte FWD conversion is the MR2 turbo box, the problem with this box is finding it, all u have to do then is change the linkages. sv21 is a bit weak. GT4 needs to be modified and is the heaviest of them all.

I have done the 3sgte FWD conversion. I put the sv21 box in till i found an MR2 turbo box with an LSD, i pick it up tomorrow.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: 92 SX Celica Auto to Manual Conversion.... Tue, 16 March 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much did you get it for?
so if what i have is working on the genI engine, the genII will be the same? - for the moment anyway
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 92 SX Celica Auto to Manual Conversion.... Tue, 16 March 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for the mr2 turbo with the lsd $1400 if i wanted it without the lsd i could have gotten it for as low as $650, but niether box has been rebuilt. Yes the gen II will bolt to a gen I box, but the engine will still have to be a 3sge.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: 92 SX Celica Auto to Manual Conversion.... Wed, 17 March 2004 06:39 Go to previous message
I'd be interested to know what you think of driving with lsd in a fwd. I've always thought it would be to hard to control, not that fwd is easy anyway...I want my KE55 back hehehe
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toyota 3teu wiring diagram or a 2tg etc
Next Topic:Quick question: ke70/ae71/ae86 steering rack same?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 20:17:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.15274882316589 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.