Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
John K
Regular

August 2003

icon5.gif  Turbo upgrade for 3SGTE Thu, 18 March 2004 05:23 Go to next message
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone could tell me what would be a good turbo upgrade for my 3SGTE st185.

The motor has been fully rebuilt with forged pistons etc. still running it in.

Top mount intercooler is at the front now, and I'm running Microtech LT8 comp.

The turbo is of a 7mgte rebuilt with the twin entry backing.

I'm happy with it for now but I will be up gradeing it in the near future.

PS. The motor is in my ae86, supra gearbox, standered diff Embarassed

Any help?! Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Turbo upgrade for 3SGTE Thu, 18 March 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For my 3S-GTE build i've been leaning towards a HKS 2835 turbo.
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: Turbo upgrade for 3SGTE Thu, 18 March 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 16:37

For my 3S-GTE build i've been leaning towards a HKS 2835 turbo.

How much boost can they handle approx?
And what power are they rated at?
How much do they go for?
Sorry about all the questions.

By the way how's your car going?
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: Turbo upgrade for 3SGTE Thu, 18 March 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ny1 else?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Turbo upgrade for 3SGTE Thu, 18 March 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well obviously you are going to have to get a new exhaust manifold made up for a new turbo (since they all have different flange types).

Have a talk to jason (yellowrolla on forums) about a manifold and turbo package - he should steer you in the right direction (perhaps to a GT25/30)
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Turbo upgrade for 3SGTE Thu, 18 March 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a GT-30 on mine but wont be able to report on its performance for at least a month yet...........
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Turbo upgrade for 3SGTE Fri, 19 March 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends what power band u after...
i have a 3sgte and at the moment it either a gt30 or a gt35 now im leaning more toward the gt35... im expecting 240rwkw min with this application.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Turbo upgrade for 3SGTE Fri, 19 March 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi John,
I have had a number of turbo combinations on my GT4. There are a number of things you have to decide on as there is no 'right' answer to your question. The 2 main decisions are boost response and whether you want to keep the stock manifold. I assume your RWD setup already has some form of custom manifold? but that it takes a CT26 turbine.

A good easy upgrade is to keep the CT26 turbine side and go with a TO4E 40 trim compressor wheel in a machined front cover. This will give you an easy 350hp potential without having to screw the boost up too high....you can get maybe 380 out of this setup before you start overspeeding the thing.

You can go with bigger comp wheels but no point in my book and the turbine setup become your restriction.

The most common proven performer is the Trust T67...big hp potential but pretty big dollars as well.

Same for the HKS gear. Definitely works well but big dollars.

I have ended up with a Garrett S004 which is basically the equivalent of a HKS 2540. Much cheaper than a HKS unit with 95% the hp potential. It keeps the internal gate but still gives you 400hp potential. Should be enough for a Sprinter Smile

If you go any bigger then you must have decided to use an external wastegate. More expense and complexity but a must for big hp applications. I have gone with an external gate even with my GT25 as the hp gains are there to be had.

As for grunt. At a lazy 13-14psi i had a rough tuned 190rwkw on a dyno dynamics AWD dyno. With the 17-18psi i want to run and optimised tuning i'm hoping for 220rwkw which will do me fine for this car.

If you have any questions drop me a line 0408481207
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: Turbo upgrade for 3SGTE Sat, 20 March 2004 00:14 Go to previous message
Thanks alot guys, you've been very helpfull. Smile

Special thanks to JustenGT4, your opinion was most helpfull, and I'll keep your mob. number I'll probably give you a call in the near future for some more advice. Thanks again!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:anyone running methanol/water injection?
Next Topic:Help : Wiring Haltech to 4agte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 23:07:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0033509731292725 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.